Episcopalians set to be first big U.S. church to bless gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:10:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Episcopalians set to be first big U.S. church to bless gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Episcopalians set to be first big U.S. church to bless gay marriage  (Read 2750 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »

I'm not a fan of this, just because I'm against the idea of having a set liturgy for any type of marriage.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2012, 12:39:32 AM by A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains »

I'm not a fan of this, just because I'm against the idea of having a set liturgy for any type of marriage.

But you nevertheless I hope understand the purpose of such in the Episcopal Church, which views marriage as a sacrament? This isn't technically the marriage sacrament itself but it's a way to raise a civil marriage to the level of a sacrament.

I wouldn't support having a set liturgy for baptism or communion either, the only things in my type of tradition that would considered sacraments (though "ordinance" is the word more likely to be used), nor is there one (unless the Trinitarian formula counts, but even what the baptizing pastor asks the baptized before dunking them is basically up to them to word in whatever way they want.)

Oh and thus it can't be used in states that don't recognize same sex civil marriages? Then it's kind of discriminatory.

(Granted, I agree with you on the subject of this particular liturgy not being particularly well-written, but the House of Bishops amended it to make it a lot better than it was initially. The House of Deputies legal wrangling was a nailbiter but of course turned out to be bullsh**t in the end.)

I haven't read it, but I view having any set liturgy for this type of thing as equivalent to having some type of liturgy at a show instead of just letting the bands say whatever they want. To use a fairly crude analogy. I'm not even a fan of having the bands having designated start times! (Though I understand how it is often necessary.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »

...So they're also being pointlessly bureaucratic about the whole thing. And now you can see why I'm not too excited. It'd be better if they just passed a "We'll recognize and perform all same sex marriages" standard.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »

Good for them. Hopefully the Catholic church will follow in their footsteps 2 or 3 popes from now.

You could just convert to Episcopalianism and not have to wait you know...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »

http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/us_mississippi.htm

More than half are Episcopal. Not sure if any are where near Harry lives though. The simple low number is kind of depressing though, There are almost six times as many churches listed in just the city of Minneapolis, which is about 1/8 of Mississippi's population. Even more conservative North Dakota has slightly more than Mississippi (including my parents' church) despite 1/4 the population...

The premise of having to memorize things that are done at church to me is just really weird too. I even feel weird at churches where during the handshaking people just say "Peace be with you/and also with you." because at mine we're just more natural and say just something like "good morning" or "hi, I'm *name*."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies