don't you wish Jesus were real?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:22:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  don't you wish Jesus were real?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: don't you wish Jesus were real?  (Read 8004 times)
Return of the Mack
TexasMack
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »

Doesn't the bible say Jesus' death was decided before God even created the universe?  If so, God didn't "then decide", rather it was decided from the beginning of time. 

Ok, it was all planned out... Every human born before jesus died for humanity's sin is condemned.  Still, what an awful, horrible reality.

How does it being planned out condemn every human prior to Jesus to Hell?
Return of the Mack
TexasMack
Rookie
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »

Besides, he pilfers from Plato...(ducks) Tongue

No need to duck, I'll play along:  How does Jesus pilfer from Plato?  It would seem, at least to me, that Jesus pilfered (understandably so) from the Hebrew scriptures, which Jesus claimed testified about him.

If you only examine Jesus' statements against Plato's, some similarities would appear.  But if you take Jesus' statements and compare them to the Old Testament (in other words, taking a "holistic view" of the Bible), you'll find that Jesus' teachings were pilfered from the scriptures of his day.

If the Bible claims to have been ultimately written by a single author (God), you have to use a holistic approach and examine and compare it to itself in order to understand what it is saying.  It’s the Bible’s holistic cohesion that testifies that it is from God.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 12:46:04 PM »

I don't know, Tweed, I never saw anything appealing about the fictional character, so I don't think he'd be any more likeable were he 'real'.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »

Besides, he pilfers from Plato...(ducks) Tongue

No need to duck, I'll play along:  How does Jesus pilfer from Plato?  It would seem, at least to me, that Jesus pilfered (understandably so) from the Hebrew scriptures, which Jesus claimed testified about him.

If you only examine Jesus' statements against Plato's, some similarities would appear.  But if you take Jesus' statements and compare them to the Old Testament (in other words, taking a "holistic view" of the Bible), you'll find that Jesus' teachings were pilfered from the scriptures of his day.

If the Bible claims to have been ultimately written by a single author (God), you have to use a holistic approach and examine and compare it to itself in order to understand what it is saying.  It’s the Bible’s holistic cohesion that testifies that it is from God.

I think Mikado was saying that Paul pilfered from Plato, not Jesus.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2012, 07:14:27 AM »

People will believe what they want. But I know Jesus was real and if you choose to not believe it, then that's up to you.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2012, 12:43:46 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 12:48:03 AM by AWallTEP81 »

People will believe what they want. But I know Jesus was real and if you choose to not believe it, then that's up to you.

I'm legitimately interested, how do you KNOW this?  I have absolutely no way of unequivocally proving the existence of Jesus, and you do not possess mental abilities that I do not.  (and I'm perfectly aware this exact point was raised by Bill Maher and others many times, so there, I'm not taking credit for it)

Is this not an important question in the matter?

EDIT: and are you saying that you know Jesus was real AND the son of god, or are you saying that you just know that a man named Jesus existed?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »

Jesus was just some random guy who died long ago. Some scientists believe he died on Friday, April 3, 33. Anyways, he's long gone.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »

I'm legitimately interested, how do you KNOW this?  I have absolutely no way of unequivocally proving the existence of Jesus, and you do not possess mental abilities that I do not.  (and I'm perfectly aware this exact point was raised by Bill Maher and others many times, so there, I'm not taking credit for it)

Is this not an important question in the matter?

EDIT: and are you saying that you know Jesus was real AND the son of god, or are you saying that you just know that a man named Jesus existed?

I am saying I know Jesus is real and is the son of God. How do I know this, because of how He has changed my life and others around me. I feel Him everyday and see Him working everyday.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »

The salvation provided by Jesus doesn't depend on the doctrine of Original Sin. At least, not in the traditional sense. What it depends on is the existence of sin, and the need for salvation from it.  We need Jesus because we are not capable of saving ourselves. That incapability of saving ourselves from sin need not come from some ancestral inheritance - except in the sense of our nature as finite creatures.
There have been many Christians who do not subscribe to the doctrine of Original Sin, even including some evangelicals.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2012, 12:40:19 AM »

The salvation provided by Jesus doesn't depend on the doctrine of Original Sin. At least, not in the traditional sense. What it depends on is the existence of sin, and the need for salvation from it.  We need Jesus because we are not capable of saving ourselves. That incapability of saving ourselves from sin need not come from some ancestral inheritance - except in the sense of our nature as finite creatures.
There have been many Christians who do not subscribe to the doctrine of Original Sin, even including some evangelicals.

The Restoration Movement is a notable example.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »

He's real:

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies