don't you wish Jesus were real? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:29:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  don't you wish Jesus were real? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: don't you wish Jesus were real?  (Read 8066 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:50 AM »

No, and I'll have to go with a point my old friend Christopher Hitchens made many times. 

If Jesus the son of God were real, then that would mean that for the entirety of human existence before he appeared about 2,000 years ago, God watched upon endless suffering of early humanity in life and the afterlife (if I'm correct, Jesus preached no salvation without him) with complete indifference.  Then, he decides that the best way to reveal the path to salvation is to brutally sacrifice his son in the desert in front of illiterate, uneducated peasants, far away from the more advanced human societies of the time in the far East. 

It's ridiculous and awful in my opinion. 

Interestingly enough, LDS theology fixes this problem; anyone who didn't (and even now, still doesn't) have the chance to hear the gospel from Jesus or his followers gets a free "pass to get out of eternal suffering" card, essentially. Except for the most wicked, of course, who wouldn't accept the gospel even if they heard it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies