Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 12:56:54 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  reconciliations of the divinity of Christ w/ a non-literal reading of Genesis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: reconciliations of the divinity of Christ w/ a non-literal reading of Genesis  (Read 830 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:38:02 pm »
Ignore

go

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:37 pm »
Ignore

The image of the Creator is a reference to rational/spiritual/emotional life generally rather than human biology specifically.

Off the top of my head. I'm sure I'd explain this more clearly and maybe nuance it more if I weren't in the middle of something right now and had more time to think about it.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Return of the Mack
TexasMack
Rookie
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:46:52 am »
Ignore

go

Depends on what you mean by "non-literal".  If by "literal" you're referring to defining each word by its primary meaning, regardless of context and/or alternative definitions, then Genesis is going to fall apart internally, before being compared with Christ's nature.

But, if by "non-literal" you mean viewing Genesis as simply an analogy (and not as a historical account with deeply embedded allegorical meanings), then you're going to make a mockery out of the entire Bible, because the rest of the Bible, including Jesusí comments, treat it as an historical account.

Both of the above approaches (being too literal, or being too non-literal) are extreme and lead to irreconcilable contradictions, either internally or holistically.
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:25:19 am »
Ignore

Jesus didn't realize the earth is billions of years old, since humanity was hundreds of years from making that discovery in Jesus's time. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus was omniscient about then-undiscovered scientific facts.
Return of the Mack
TexasMack
Rookie
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:39:08 pm »
Ignore

Jesus didn't realize the earth is billions of years old, since humanity was hundreds of years from making that discovery in Jesus's time. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus was omniscient about then-undiscovered scientific facts.

If Jesus was the creator of the universe, don't you think he (God) knows about the laws that govern the universe, as Job 38:33 points out?  What undiscovered scientific facts are not already known by God?
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »
Ignore

If Jesus was the creator of the universe, don't you think he (God) knows about the laws that govern the universe, as Job 38:33 points out?  What undiscovered scientific facts are not already known by God?

You're venturing into the territory of how precisely Christ's divine nature and His human nature interact, here.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:48:34 am »
Ignore

"In the beginning was the Word,"  "by him all things were created" - leaves a lot of room for the when and the how.  Maybe it was Christ who gave us that burst of energy and entropy in space that created time.   
Was Christ descended from primates?  It's maybe not the most pleasant thought, but the incarnation is no less possible in that case. If we are not just human but also hominid, then Christ partakes in that also, and bestows divine grace to it.

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 04:46:58 am »
Ignore

"In the beginning was the Word,"  "by him all things were created" - leaves a lot of room for the when and the how.  Maybe it was Christ who gave us that burst of energy and entropy in space that created time.   
Was Christ descended from primates?  It's maybe not the most pleasant thought, but the incarnation is no less possible in that case. If we are not just human but also hominid, then Christ partakes in that also, and bestows divine grace to it.

It's not a matter of 'if'; we are.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:52:31 pm »
Ignore

It's not a matter of 'if'; we are.

Generally speaking, dialectic is a mode of thought, or a philosophic medium, through which contradiction becomes a starting point (rather than a dead end) for contemplation.
http://csmt.uchicago.edu/glossary2004/dialectic.htm

Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:05:25 pm »
Ignore

In Romans, Paul interpreted the account of Adam and Eve's fall as literal.  Since Paul had been a Pharisee and thus probably knew the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) better than anyone else, I would trust that it was literal.  Then agaim, he could have made a mistake, though I highly doubt it.  As for creation, my church mostly believes that Gd created the world in six literal days and rested on the seventh day.  I don't think they were necessarily literal "days", but I think God could have done it that way of He wanted to (and maybe did.)

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
When I voted for the first time a few weeks ago, I announced "damnit, I voted for Pat Buchanan!" Nobody got it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout