Strike spreads to Western Kentucky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:00:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Strike spreads to Western Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Strike spreads to Western Kentucky  (Read 1704 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2005, 06:53:53 AM »

TRIBUNE[/color]

In responce to the shooting of two miners in Southern Illinois, the West Kentucky branch of the NUM balloted it's members on strike action last night.
Over 92% voted "Yes". West KY NUM leader Jerry Davies says that the strike will begin in a few hours time.

Shares in Rhodes & Londonderry Mining Inc. fell by over 54% yesterday, causing markets to panic all over North America.

An unidentified Civil Servant has told Tribune that parts of the Mid East region will experiance power shortages within the next few days if West KY miners go on strike.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 08:29:08 AM »

I love inventing reasons to strike, don't you?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 08:39:17 AM »

First off, where the hell is Governor NickG? I mean, he's dozing while Al gets to throw the region into chaos!
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 08:42:20 AM »

First off, where the hell is Governor NickG? I mean, he's dozing while Al gets to throw the region into chaos!

I hate it when labor leaders instigate strikes for political purposes.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 09:02:43 AM »

Dear Mr Davies,

If your union, the NUM, strikes over this weekend it has the potential to disrupt the power supply across the Region. Given that we have an election ongoing over this weekend, your action could pose a serious threat to the functioning of democracy (given that we all use machine voting these days). For this reason I ask you to call off your strike, at least temporarily, so that the citizens of the Mideast may go to the polls. Hopefully, your concerns will be able to be addressed in the aftermath of the election.

Regards,

Peter Bell
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »

Are you sure you want to outright lean on the strikers Mr. Attorney General? The Constitution does give them a right to peaceably assemble. If the strike does disturb the election, the public outcry should be sufficient to end the strike.

I say this merely as a quiet reminder because I believe that those who serve in government should not exceed their mandates.

PS - This is not intended in any wya to be a shot at Mr. Bell, I think he is an excellent Attorney General all things considered
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 01:04:45 PM »

If you hadn't noticed I'm not the Attorney General, and haven't been for some two and a half to three weeks.

I'm simply intervening as a candidate to try to calm the situation down for the next few days until a new Governor can get into office and hopefully bring the situation to an equitable resolution.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 01:32:18 PM »

Dear Mr Davies,

If your union, the NUM, strikes over this weekend it has the potential to disrupt the power supply across the Region. Given that we have an election ongoing over this weekend, your action could pose a serious threat to the functioning of democracy (given that we all use machine voting these days). For this reason I ask you to call off your strike, at least temporarily, so that the citizens of the Mideast may go to the polls. Hopefully, your concerns will be able to be addressed in the aftermath of the election.

Regards,

Peter Bell

On this issue I agree with Mr. Bell completely. The Atlasian worker has a right to strike, but doing so while elections are going on, especially if something as vital as the power supply is disrupted, is not.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »

TRIBUNE[/color]

In responce to the shooting of two miners in Southern Illinois, the West Kentucky branch of the NUM balloted it's members on strike action last night.
Over 92% voted "Yes". West KY NUM leader Jerry Davies says that the strike will begin in a few hours time.

Shares in Rhodes & Londonderry Mining Inc. fell by over 54% yesterday, causing markets to panic all over North America.

An unidentified Civil Servant has told Tribune that parts of the Mid East region will experiance power shortages within the next few days if West KY miners go on strike.

Rumors have it down here in New Orleans, Louisiana that reputed mob boss and criminal underworld figure "Sonny" Luciano Bagnetto has sent fifteen unknown men up to Kentucky and West Virginia supposedly to report in on their local gambling rackets up in Paducah and Louisville, Kentucky and Charleston, West Virginia.

Their "real" purpose in going up to these regions seems still in doubt, though.  More to come...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 04:46:44 PM »

Coal Strike Updates

The West KY NUM have agreed to wait until Sunday (although probably Monday) before beginning strike action.

Word is that the East KY NUM and the WV NUM are considering going on strike as well. According to Tribune's energy expert Ken Coleman such a strike would cripple power supplies across the nation and could bring the entire economy to a shuddering halt.

A man with a "Texan accent" was arrested in Henderson county, KY last night. Police have indicated that it may have something to do with the Franklin County Murders.

A tired looking Senator Realpolitik (the leader of both the federal NUM and the AFL-CIO) has announced that at some point in the next few days the AFL-CIO will appoint a mediator in an attempt to end the strike before "all hell breaks loose".
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 04:52:01 PM »

Al, do you really need to keep inventing issues?  I had hoped for much more from you.  You have yet to produce a sigle bill... but you can waste time on this?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 04:53:31 PM »

Coal Strike Updates

The West KY NUM have agreed to wait until Sunday (although probably Monday) before beginning strike action.

Word is that the East KY NUM and the WV NUM are considering going on strike as well. According to Tribune's energy expert Ken Coleman such a strike would cripple power supplies across the nation and could bring the entire economy to a shuddering halt.

A man with a "Texan accent" was arrested in Henderson county, KY last night. Police have indicated that it may have something to do with the Franklin County Murders.

A tired looking Senator Realpolitik (the leader of both the federal NUM and the AFL-CIO) has announced that at some point in the next few days the AFL-CIO will appoint a mediator in an attempt to end the strike before "all hell breaks loose".

FYI, I'm pretty sure you might do damage to the Northeast and maybe some parts of the Southeast.

However, Louisiana and Texas really don't fundamentally care about these miners and whatever complaining they have to do. 

Texas is on its power grid separate of the rest of the nation (a blessing brought about by the once and great speaker of the House Sam Rayburn) and doesn't use any power or supplies outside of the state.

Louisiana has large natural gas reserves and the second largest amount of petrochemical plants in the world.  We could survive on our own.

The New Orleans mafia is just interested in its gambling interests.  I said that before.  Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 05:33:56 PM »

Al, do you really need to keep inventing issues?  I had hoped for much more from you.  You have yet to produce a sigle bill... but you can waste time on this?

I think its pretty cool.  It makes things more interesting.  Its all about role-play, anyway.

"What effect will this crisis have on the new Mideast region governor?  What if the federal govt. gets involved?  Will there be riots?"

I thought fantasy politics was supposed to be fun and interesting anyway.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 05:40:06 PM »

And yet again the governor isn't there to repsond.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 05:48:41 PM »

I wrote the Budget Ammendment. Hopefully it won't be needed (I'm going to try to fiddle it into the new Constitution) but a lot of work and off the record wrangling went into that.

I've got a big bill planned but there's too much on the Senate floor already to introduce it.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 06:05:53 PM »

As long as this doesn't get violent there is nothing I can do. We have the right to strike you know.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 06:07:37 PM »

I find it odd that Al has power in the government, yet still does this "STRIKE!" stuff. At the very least, it shows "Senator Labor Union" is incapable of helping the workers of his district so there is peace.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 06:14:57 PM »

I find it odd that Al has power in the government, yet still does this "STRIKE!" stuff. At the very least, it shows "Senator Labor Union" is incapable of helping the workers of his district so there is peace.

Was there any need for that attack? What happens next depends how different people react.
It could end tomorrow. It could end in a week. Wait and see...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 06:31:18 PM »

Was there any need for that attack? What happens next depends how different people react.
It could end tomorrow. It could end in a week. Wait and see...

I didn't mean to "attack" you, I was just pointing something out.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 07:49:20 PM »

Why don't you try to achieve someting for the Atlasian working man through the Senate and not through the streets? Why do this when you have enough power in the Senate to propose legislation in the Senate that would help, better, the workers that you represent.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 08:05:54 PM »

Why don't you try to achieve someting for the Atlasian working man through the Senate and not through the streets? Why do this when you have enough power in the Senate to propose legislation in the Senate that would help, better, the workers that you represent.

I think he's just trying to make things interesting by creating some news that doesn't involve the day-to-day goings on of the senate.  I for one applaud that.  If it wasn't for fantasy news like this miners' strike, things would get pretty dull pretty quickly.

Not only that, but it'll give Governor-elect Peter Bell something to do in his first days in office.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 08:08:22 PM »

I think he's just trying to make things interesting by creating some news that doesn't involve the day-to-day goings on of the senate.  I for one applaud that.  If it wasn't for fantasy news like this miners' strike, things would get pretty dull pretty quickly.

Not only that, but it'll give Governor-elect Peter Bell something to do in his first days in office.

Joe the problem is we have a person who is delegated to come up with scenarios. He's called the GM and Al is not the GM. Plus he has done this before. He always paints the companies as crazy, murdering, and evil while he makes the miners look wonderful. If he wants to help those in the mines why doesn't he propose some legislation.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 08:12:23 PM »

Joe the problem is we have a person who is delegated to come up with scenarios. He's called the GM and Al is not the GM. Plus he has done this before. He always paints the companies as crazy, murdering, and evil while he makes the miners look wonderful. If he wants to help those in the mines why doesn't he propose some legislation.

OK, I see.  But still, I haven't really seen very much in the way of scenarios.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 08:14:05 PM »

Hopefully Hughento will appoint someone to the positon (wink,wink).  So he can concentrate on his senate run.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 08:18:18 PM »

If your a good enough newsman you can create stories from the average everday stuff on the forum. JFK drops out of the race, their building a monument for him, Hugh and King getting into the race, and the upcoming presidential election. You don't need to write stories every day.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies