Documents reveal Romney stayed longer at Bain Capital
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:32:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Documents reveal Romney stayed longer at Bain Capital
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Documents reveal Romney stayed longer at Bain Capital  (Read 3134 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/articles/2012/07/12/government_documents_indicate_mitt_romney_continued_at_bain_after_date_when_he_says_he_left/

[quote]Government documents filed by Mitt Romney and Bain Capital say Romney remained chief executive and chairman of the firm three years beyond the date he said he ceded control, even creating five new investment partnerships during that time.

Romney has said he left Bain in 1999 to lead the winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, ending his role in the company. But public Securities and Exchange Commission documents filed later by Bain Capital state he remained the firm’s “sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president.”
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »

I love how this story can't be found anywhere on RealClearPolitics, as of 11:30 AM EST. As if we needed any more proof that those guys were a bunch of Republican hacks!
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »

I love how this story can't be found anywhere on RealClearPolitics, as of 11:30 AM EST. As if we needed any more proof that those guys were a bunch of Republican hacks!

Other than the Boston Globe, it's crickets from the mainstream media.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »

Other than the Boston Globe, it's crickets from the mainstream media.

That's because it's inaccurate.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »

The Media is also ignoring David Corn's latest piece about how Romney invested in a Chinese firm that took American jobs.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »

I have the feeling that Romney getting obscenely wealthy by investing in hundreds of companies is equivalent to senators becoming "experienced" by casting thousands of votes. It creates quite a paper trail.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »

Isn't it a felony to lie in federal filings?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »

Good grief, it sounds like Romney might get indicted!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »

Isn't it a felony to lie in federal filings?
It is.
netzero19
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »

WaPo, CNN Finance, and FactCheck.org say nope:

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/12/mitt-romney-bain-exit/?iid=SF_F_River

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/mitt-romney-and-his-departure-from-bain/2012/07/12/gJQAASzUfW_blog.html

http://factcheck.org/2012/07/factcheck-to-obama-camp-your-complaint-is-all-wet/
pepper11
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »

Good grief, it sounds like Romney might get indicted!

Umm, no it doesn't.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »

Romney's defense in his campaign for president: Yes I was president but I had no idea what was going on and I'm not responsible for it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 01:51:38 AM »

Sorry to break your bubble but Mittens himself says yes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/mitt-romney-bain-departure_n_1669006.html

Mitt Romney's repeated claim that he played no part in executive decision-making related to Bain Capital after 1999 is false, according to Romney's own testimony in June 2002, in which he admitted to sitting on the board of the LifeLike Co., a dollmaker that was a Bain investment during the period.

Romney has consistently insisted that he was too busy organizing the 2002 Winter Olympics to take part in Bain business between 1999 and that event. But in the testimony, which was provided to The Huffington Post, Romney noted that he regularly traveled back to Massachusetts. "[T]here were a number of social trips and business trips that brought me back to Massachusetts, board meetings, Thanksgiving and so forth," he said.

Romney's sworn testimony was given as part of a hearing to determine whether he had sufficient residency status in Massachusetts to run for governor.

Romney testified that he "remained on the board of the Staples Corporation and Marriott International, the LifeLike Corporation" at the time.

Yet in the Aug. 12, 2011, federal disclosure form filed as part of his presidential bid, he said, "Mr. Romney retired from Bain Capital on February 11, 1999 to head the Salt Lake Organizing Committee. Since February 11, 1999, Mr. Romney has not had any active role with any Bain Capital entity and has not been involved in the operations of any Bain Capital entity in any way."
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »

After reading the article and the posts in this thread I fail to see any contradiction except those manufactured by hostile partisans by means of intentionally misinterpreting the statements in order to create a non-existent controversy.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »

I'm confused.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »

Romney's defense in his campaign for president: Yes I was president but I had no idea what was going on and I'm not responsible for it.

Such was the defense of Warren G. Harding and George W. Bush.

We are beginning to see what a poor President Mitt Romney would be.

Back in January I would have never thought it possible.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »

After reading the article and the posts in this thread I fail to see any contradiction except those manufactured by hostile partisans by means of intentionally misinterpreting the statements in order to create a non-existent controversy.

You might not, but it's not exactly hard to see holes in the story. It's not like Romney hasn't had this end-goal in mind, so it shows a sloppiness.

I heard a GOP strategist talking earlier in the week, and he made a very good point. Romney's problem isn't the 10/10 knockout blow... it's the numerous 2-3/10 hits that start to add up, Bermuda/tax returns/the wife's dressage pony... etc etc.. it's not even a case of whether it's real or not - it's the perception. The perception isn't about Romney being successful in business and that haven't made him rich... that's not in question, the issue is the out of touch and looking like he's hiding something.

The Romney response to this Democratic line is NOT WORKING, saying that Romney won't apologise for success... is basically an answer to a question no one has asked. I know Romney wants to avoid detail, but unless they address those fundamental character questions about him, they're going to have a hard time, and the issue of Bain needs to be handled head-on.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »

The nerve of republicans to complain about this after what they did to John Kerry is infuriating...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »

Oh, heaven forbid double-standards and hypocrisy in the midst of an election! Avast! Avast!
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »

You guys are showing your complete ignorance of private enterprise, the law, and a well vetted part of Mitt Romney’s career — his tenure at Bain Capital.

1) It is well established that Mitt Romney left Bain to go salvage the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.
2) It is also well established that his name remained on some SEC documents. This stems from winding down his partnership interest in Bain Capital. It is a quirk in the law. It has been well vetted.  
3) FactCheck.org, the Washington Post, and CNN Finance slap down Team Obama’s hyperbole.
4) Complete lack of sense.  In order to take you seriously we would have to accept that Romney was both working 24/7 saving the Olympics in Salt Lake City AND running an incredibly important Capitol Firm in Boston simultaneously.  If this is true, If he is capable of this, he would be no doubt the greatest president of all time.  ...wait you think this made up crap is a negative??? You don't make sense even if we take you seriously.  
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »

SEC records don't lie and on top of that Romney himself testified that he still had ties to the
company

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/mitt-romney-bain-departure_n_1669006.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »

I don't know if Romney is guilty or not, but I'm willing to go along with it if it means he won't be the GOP nominee!

Two Wall Street puppets and crony capitalists running against each other is at least one too many.  The Democrats are sure to nominate one, so that leaves the GOP as the only party that could give Americans a chance to vote for someone who despises Big Business as much as he or she despises Big Labor and Big Government.

So I'm pulling all the way for this scandal to topple Romney before the convention!
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »

SEC records don't lie and on top of that Romney himself testified that he still had ties to the
company

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maybe you missed the bold underlined sentence, so I'll reiterate it a few times:

winding down his partnership interest in Bain Capital

Man leaves company to save Olympic games and... 
 ...winds down his partnership interest in the company (Bain Capital). 
Understand you can do that without running the company! 

Tony Resco buys Obama a house = nothing to see here
Romney saves the Olympics and winds down his partnership in a company in order to do so = scandal!! LOL.   
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »

Maybe you missed the bold underlined sentence, so I'll reiterate it a few times:

Man leaves company to save Olympic games and... 
 ...winds down his partnership interest in the company (Bain Capital). 
Understand you can do that without running the company! 

Tony Resco buys Obama a house = nothing to see here
Romney saves the Olympics and winds down his partnership in a company in order to do so = scandal!! LOL.   

Take it down a notch. I posted Romney's own words, which were in testimony he gave to prove Massachusetts residency in order to stand for Governor. Now, if he wasn't connected to Bain then, he lied under oath then and if he was connected to Bain, then he's stretching the truth now. Either way, it appears he has honesty issues.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »

Take it down a notch. I posted Romney's own words, which were in testimony he gave to prove Massachusetts residency in order to stand for Governor. Now, if he wasn't connected to Bain then, he lied under oath then and if he was connected to Bain, then he's stretching the truth now. Either way, it appears he has honesty issues.
That either/or is ludicrous.  Maybe you don't understand what "winding down his partnership interest in Bain Capital" means.  Maybe it didn't occur to you that you can go out of town on business for an extended period of time (saving the Olympics, fighting in a war, etc) without surrendering your residency OR perhaps you need to take it down a notch and think for 5 minutes.     
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies