Opinion of Georgism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:18:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Georgism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Freedom philosophy

Horrible philosophy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Opinion of Georgism  (Read 1299 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: July 14, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
« edited: July 14, 2012, 06:44:44 PM by Redalgo »

Wouldn't this drive land almost exclusively into the hands of large firms, which by their very nature tend to be more competitive and possess more capital than individual actors, families, and most small businesses?

With farms, for instance, I would imagine "big agribusinesses" could obtain the overwhelming majority of farmland and pass on the costs of taxes on property to consumers in the forms of increased food prices, lower pay for workers, and/or fewer benefits for employees. And even then they might be put under quite a bit of pressure competing with trans- or multinationals that could simply import into the country cheaper produce from parts of the world that boast lower property taxes.

Would it not be far more difficult for people to own the land on which they have their residence as well, perhaps shifting control of capital further away from the individual and concentrating it into the hands of private groups motivated first and foremost by their desires for profit? I'd think this approach would be more efficient, economically speaking, but also more corporatist and communal without necessarily being any more egalitarian or liberating to the typical individual than is the current arrangement.

Then again, as I've said in the past, economics is really not my thing so I'd be curious to see what else folks have to say about Georgism. :<
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies