The direction of the Republican Party if Romney loses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:10:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The direction of the Republican Party if Romney loses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The direction of the Republican Party if Romney loses  (Read 9491 times)
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« on: August 02, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »

The key immigrant groups that the Republican Party needs to win over don't believe in the "our religious beliefs are under attack" meme though.

Quite simply put though, they are under attack. Therefore I can only see improvement in this area should the GOP commit some resources to educating the public about this. If the GOP championed liberties for all  instead of created wedges it would be a lot easier to woo these immigrants who quite frankly remain in the dark about the long and contentious public debate on abortion, gay marriage, and so on.

But in Canada, ironically enough, things have been steadily swinging to the right on social issues since the 1980s or so. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if bringing back the death penalty and banning abortion became viable political moves in ten or twenty years.

The difference, though, is that there is a sizable portion of the GOP electorate that basically votes on the religious issues that they need to hold on (especially in the south and midwest), whereas in Canada such voters are basically marginal and only exist in safe Reform/Conservative areas like Alberta and the interior of BC.

Opposition to UHC in the US has a pretty long history, though. IIRC Truman tried to get something along those lines passed in the 1950s, but at there were various factors that made it very unpopular; people had already overwhelmingly voted against the government control of the war years (ending rationing and so on), and at the time American healthcare was quite affordable and of very high quality to boot.

News of the GOP's demise, however, is greatly exaggerated. Yes, immigration means that the "old white male" demographic they have locked up won't be enough to help them in the future, but (A) Hispanics aren't really out of their reach and (B) the Rust Belt has been swinging in their direction enough to mean they can practically just expand their share of the lower-middle class white vote to make up for future problems. In the long term their views will change by political necessity and I suspect will be radically different by 2020, but they are hardly endangered right now.

Anyway, the GOP wouldn't really benefit from dropping the social issues altogether since such a huge portion of their electorate relies on those. However, they would stand to benefit by not making otherwise irrelevant issues like gay marriage hills to die on since they'll probably lose fights like that in the long run. Abortion is something they might have a bit of a better chance on, seeing as how public opinion has been going in the pro-life direction for a while.

Honestly, I see the "successful" GOP of 2020 being somewhat socially conservative if less so than presently with a libertarian bent. Dropping the drug war would probably let them appeal to the urban poor and Hispanics a bit better, and I'd say their present pro-war/interventionism stance isn't going to last either.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »

They should just nominate Dan Cathy, Chick Fil A CEO, for president in 2016. Judging from all the cars at his restaurants yesterday, he has a lot of support already.

Lol.

But seriously though, as my esteemed colleague Snowstalker pointed out in a chat convo, "If the Democrats survived the Civil War and the Republicans survived the Great Depression..." c'mon. At a point where Republicans control the House of Representatives and their nominee is facing an incumbent, there's no call for saying that the GOP is going to die out.

Yes there is, Reaganite.

The GOP is so dead in a few years because of their extremism.  I wouldn't be surprised if, due to GLobal Warming becoming true and Democrats making the economy truly great, that the GOP dies off by 2020 and Jon Huntsman wins the Democratic Primaries in 2020 and goes onto win a landslide election against Wyoming Lieutenant Governor Daniel Baumgardener.

[/exit the Sarchasm]

Meh, they are kind of in a hole right now.  Luckily for the GOP though there is a Democratic President.  And, as modern US history has shown, having an opposite party incumbent in the White House is a benefit for Congress save an extreme economic catastrophe or war.  Unless Barack Obama turns out to be Jesus Christ and heals the nation with his God Powered hands, the GOP will be just fine (congressionally at least).
In fact, given the correlation between Presidential and Congressional results, I would envy the situation the GOP finds themselves in.  It is in their best interest to lose Presidential Elections if they continue to be successful in turning Democratic Administrations into Paper Tigers.

Honestly, in the long term the GOP would be better off losing the current presidential election since it would saddle them with the blame for any rough economic/foreign straits ahead and leave the Democrats a gigantic opening.

It would also teach them the wrong lesson so far as tailoring a platform to appeal to people in the future goes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies