SENATE BILL: The Vice Presidential Reform Amendment of 2012 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:08:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Vice Presidential Reform Amendment of 2012 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Vice Presidential Reform Amendment of 2012 (Failed)  (Read 3610 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »

Keep in mind that the VP determines his own involvement with regards to running the Senate. The Constitution provides that the VP do the job and the PPT's power is entirely derived and delegated from the VP.

The problem isn't as much about ability, as it is willingness to engage and communicate with the PPT to stay involved. Kalwejt typically does more than most VP's, atleast judging by his past times holding that position.

Well, personally, I would say that Tmth was very active in his job as VP last time, but his role was still very limited in Senate affairs and the PPT usually has complete autonomy in running the Senate.  Designating the full powers of a Senator to the VP only adds another person to the legislative process and makes the position itself more important to the game.

No one can deny Tmthforu's superb performance in office, while my first term as Vice President was hardly an example.

Personally, I'd prefer to eliminate Senate Presidency for Vice President and removing "pro tempore" from PPT's title. I'm not wild about mixing executive branch with legislative and, at least now, Vice President is actually an active part of the cabinet. I think making it permanent would be better reform than giving the Vice President a vote in the Senate.

But I enjoy making the VP's life as miserable as possible. Sad
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »

Hearing no objection, Amendment 50:07 is passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 09:08:14 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 09:12:04 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 09:39:39 PM by Senator Scott »

Keep in mind that the VP determines his own involvement with regards to running the Senate. The Constitution provides that the VP do the job and the PPT's power is entirely derived and delegated from the VP.

The problem isn't as much about ability, as it is willingness to engage and communicate with the PPT to stay involved. Kalwejt typically does more than most VP's, atleast judging by his past times holding that position.

Well, personally, I would say that Tmth was very active in his job as VP last time, but his role was still very limited in Senate affairs and the PPT usually has complete autonomy in running the Senate.  Designating the full powers of a Senator to the VP only adds another person to the legislative process and makes the position itself more important to the game.

Whether or not the PPT has complete autonomy is a decision that the VP makes himself. As I said, the VP could render the PPT a total spectator if he wanted to do so. All of the PPT's power is delegated from that of the VP. Which reminds me, Kalwejt has yet to post a public delegation of authority to me. Tongue

When has the VP ever taken control of the Senate himself, though?  At this point, it's seem to have become tradition to delegate all the authority to the PPT, and it would just be logical to make that normal routine.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »

Well, personally, I would say that Tmth was very active in his job as VP last time, but his role was still very limited in Senate affairs and the PPT usually has complete autonomy in running the Senate.  Designating the full powers of a Senator to the VP only adds another person to the legislative process and makes the position itself more important to the game.

Whether or not the PPT has complete autonomy is a decision that the VP makes himself. As I said, the VP could render the PPT a total spectator if he wanted to do so. All of the PPT's power is delegated from that of the VP. Which reminds me, Kalwejt has yet to post a public delegation of authority to me. Tongue

When has the VP ever taken control of the Senate himself, though?  At this point, it's seem to become tradition to delegate all the authority to the PPT, and it would just be logical to make that normal routine.
I can't give you an exact time period, but there was a while a couple years ago when VP Bacon King served as PPT for a while, and actually did a very good job. I can't remember the reasoning for why it occurred, even though I was in the Senate at the time. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 07:12:11 AM »

The VP can never be PPT. BK was a Senator during his time as PPT.

The VP can run the Senate through his job as President of the Senate which happens everytime the Senate starts or when the PPT becomes prematurely vacant. It also can happen as part of a mutual power sharing agreement between the PPT and VP, something which I would very much desire, yet I have never been able to get the VP play ball. Atleast not recently. Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »

The VP can never be PPT. BK was a Senator during his time as PPT.

The VP can run the Senate through his job as President of the Senate which happens everytime the Senate starts or when the PPT becomes prematurely vacant. It also can happen as part of a mutual power sharing agreement between the PPT and VP, something which I would very much desire, yet I have never been able to get the VP play ball. Atleast not recently. Tongue

There are Atlasians amiable to that should they be brought to the VP position.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »

Well, anything more?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »

I think we can move to a final vote.  If this fails, I still think we should work to reform the VP position.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »

Senators this bill is now at final vote so please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »

Aye.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »

Nay
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »

Aye.

I also think encouraging even greater ways to involve the voters into the legislative process will make the game more popular. We should expand on this.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »

Oddly enough, that boost in legislative direct democracy was the reason for my vote. O.o
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »

This amendment would boost legislative direct democracy, because it allows the People to have the say on tied votes.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »

My apologies for wording my thoughts poorly but I actually oppose letting the masses have a say in which pieces of legislation pass or fail.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »

Aye.

I also think encouraging even greater ways to involve the voters into the legislative process will make the game more popular. We should expand on this.

In practice it is a failure.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 07:46:55 PM »

Aye.

What practice? At the regional level you mean?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »

Aye.

What practice? At the regional level you mean?

No it works in the Northeast but we've seen how useless the iniative amendment was.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »

Only four votes here? WTF?!!!!!!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »

Not sure I like the ties procedure but overall this is better than the status quo, so

Aye
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »

I have mixed feelings... but believe it will encourage more realistic VP selections. It wouldn't have made much sense for Polnut to choose Tmthforu94 for example if this was in place... Tmthforu94 is a very qualified and very kind individual and this says nothingto that- but they are not ideologically very much in tune. I believe this will be a fine way to make VP selections have more of an impact on the race...

AYE
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »

Nay, but not without some misgivings. The tie procedure is really pushing me over the edge but I just have too many issues with mixing the branches in this fashion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies