SCRANTON RUNS OUT OF MONEY, Cuts All City Salaries To Minimum Wage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:17:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCRANTON RUNS OUT OF MONEY, Cuts All City Salaries To Minimum Wage
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCRANTON RUNS OUT OF MONEY, Cuts All City Salaries To Minimum Wage  (Read 1860 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/scranton-mayor-slashes-all-public-worker-wages-2012-7

The city of Scranton, Pa., sent out paychecks to its employees Friday, like it does every two weeks. But this time the checks were much smaller than usual. Mayor Chris Doherty has reduced everyone's pay — including his own — to the state's minimum wage: $7.25 an hour.
Doherty says his city has run out of money.

That's an amazing round of union busting. Reckless spending has driven these cities into ruin.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »

The article doesn't specify, but Doherty is a Democrat.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »

That's an amazing round of union busting. Reckless spending has driven these cities into ruin.

No, they have a lack of money because they have not been bailed out by the federal government.

Having the Fed create fiat money and sent it out to the cities and states to allow them to spend freely is a fine solution to our economic problems.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »

No, they have a lack of money because they have not been bailed out by the federal government.
logic fail.

The feds giving them more "money" may be a quick fix, but them not doing so isn't what drove them broke. You are essentially a young person who spends more than he takes in goes broke because his parents didn't bail him out.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »

logic fail.

The feds giving them more "money" may be a quick fix, but them not doing so isn't what drove them broke. You are essentially a young person who spends more than he takes in goes broke because his parents didn't bail him out.

Precisely.  One inevitably becomes 'broke' if one isn't vouchsafed a sufficient income, and this is normally the case for those without power, such as workers or municipalities.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »

Lauding the downward spiral of the American way of life and living conditions for ideological purposes is heartless and reprehensible, but you really are the worst of the worst, so it is expected.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »

What's going on there is that the mayor and the council can't agree on how to fix their broken budget.  The mayor wants to raise taxes and the council wants to borrow more money despite the fact that their finances are such that no one wants to lend them money.  The city would like to enter Chapter 9 Bankruptcy to cut costs, but the State government won't let them.
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »

I also noted this and found it amusing that krazen ignored it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »

I also noted this and found it amusing that krazen ignored it.

To be fair, the mayor probably doesn't want to raise taxes, but since the idiots in Harrisburg won't let Scranton declare bankruptcy, it's the only viable option left.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »

Why won't the state controlled by Pubs not let Scranton BK?  That makes no sense at all.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »

I'm sure reducing the entire municipal workforce to minimum wage will do wonders local businesses and tge area's economy, hence long term tax revenues.

At least now we know what people like krazen envision as their utopia. And the faact they'll blame the fiscal woes for places like scranton not on a wall-street inspired recession, but rather mean old public serrvice unions. Roll Eyes

So krazen, are you ready ffor your stolen car or break-in investigation handled by a cop earning minimum wage? Or your housefire by a crew earning minimum wage?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »

To be fair, the rest of the pay is "deferred" until the city has the money to pay it.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2012, 07:07:08 PM by Senator Seatown »

Why won't the state controlled by Pubs not let Scranton BK?  That makes no sense at all.
Because Republicans legislators are not the sharpest of the bunch.

If anything, this will do the exact opposite, have every union in town call a strike, and make it impossible for the right-wing fascist talk-show leaders turn the community against them(well except for the 1%, but who cares about them), because the effects will be painfully obvious, read Badger's post.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »

They should go into bankruptcy and then rewrite the contracts. And forget the minimum wage stuff.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2012, 08:11:23 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

I hadn't realize that a chartered city requires state approval to declare bankruptcy.

Under federal law, it does!

http://www.uchastings.edu/public-law/plri/fal95tex/muniban.html

Oh, since I remember 1964, the irony is delicious.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »

Why won't the state government let them declare bankruptcy?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 11:37:28 PM »

I hadn't realize that a chartered city requires state approval to declare bankruptcy.

Municipalities in general exist at the whims of state government so this doesn't surprise me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 01:51:41 AM »

The important, real life question here is.....how is Dunder Mifflin taking all this?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »

Under federal law, it does!

http://www.uchastings.edu/public-law/plri/fal95tex/muniban.html

Oh, since I remember 1964, the irony is delicious.

Okay, I'll bite.  In what way is 1964 relevant to this?   Neither your link, nor a quick google provided anything relevant.  Even if you had a typo and meant 1994 as in the 1994 Bankruptcy Reform Act, I fail to see the irony as State approval was required before then, and the 1994 Act only clarified and narrowed what constituted State approval.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »

Ernest,

Not surprised you fail to understand.

Bill Scranton, was a 1964 nominal Republican, who we noted was morally bankrupt.

Not surprising that a city which bears his name (well, actually I believe his grandfather's name) is financially bankrupt.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »

Ernest,

Bill Scranton, was a 1964 nominal Republican, who we noted was morally bankrupt.

Not surprising that a city which bears his name (well, actually I believe his grandfather's name) is financially bankrupt.

There's no reason it would be particularly unsurprising either, since reality doesn't work according to talking points about long-retired politicians in their mid-nineties.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 01:19:09 PM »

I'm sure reducing the entire municipal workforce to minimum wage will do wonders local businesses and tge area's economy, hence long term tax revenues.

At least now we know what people like krazen envision as their utopia. And the faact they'll blame the fiscal woes for places like scranton not on a wall-street inspired recession, but rather mean old public serrvice unions. Roll Eyes

So krazen, are you ready ffor your stolen car or break-in investigation handled by a cop earning minimum wage? Or your housefire by a crew earning minimum wage?

Scranton is a shrinking city with a drying up tax base. The prudent thing to do would be to fire some government workers that are no longer needed and were probably never needed in the first place. They of course failed to do so.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »

Ernest,

If you ever mentioned him before, it wasn't in this thread.  Other than he opposed Goldwater for the nomination in 1964, I don't see why you might think he was morally bankrupt.  BTW, the city was named for his grandfather's second cousins who founded the Lackawanna Steel Company.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »

Side note: I was actually very surprised to learn that William Scranton is still alive, partially because for some reason I kind of imagined him as older than mid-to-late forties as governor.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »

Ernest,

That's not really failing to understand.  That's just failing to guess our riddle.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies