Do you smoke?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you smoke?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: This can include cigarettes, cigars, pipes, weed, meth, whatever you smoke.
Yes

No

Only at parties

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 11457 times)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »

I'm the only one who voted for option three? I feel bad now.

Why on earth would you want anybody else to know about it, and then subject them to your second-hand smoke?  If I smoked, I'd be sure to only do so in private, for much the same reasons that I fart and pick my nose in private too.  Smoking is one of the most antisocial activities around, and you do it at parties?!

Woah sorry. It isn't taboo. Tongue

Smoking is actually a very social activity, and don't get me wrong it isn't like I do it all the time, but hey, you only live once. Plus I'm at University so what do you expect?

I believe its sarcasm.

You can never be too sure on this forum, aha.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »

No. I enjoy not having cancer.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »

I'm the only one who voted for option three? I feel bad now.

Why on earth would you want anybody else to know about it, and then subject them to your second-hand smoke?  If I smoked, I'd be sure to only do so in private, for much the same reasons that I fart and pick my nose in private too.  Smoking is one of the most antisocial activities around, and you do it at parties?!

Woah sorry. It isn't taboo. Tongue

Smoking is actually a very social activity, and don't get me wrong it isn't like I do it all the time, but hey, you only live once. Plus I'm at University so what do you expect?

I believe its sarcasm.

You believe wrong.

Those who believe smoking isn't antisocial are the same type of people who think it's a great idea to start doing it in the first place, so their judgement is already distorted.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »

Lol wow.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »

A good majority of forumites are sensible people. This is good.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »

I grew up in a family with many smokers so I always considered smoking something normal. Nevertheless (or maybe "that's why"?) I never felt attracted to smoking and didn't start. I'm still quite indifferent to smoking and don't care or mind if someone next to me smokes.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 03:02:35 PM »

Great rebuttal!
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »

This bothers me. Not all smokers get cancer. Even so, no matter how childish it sounds, I'd rather die at 50-something knowing I lived a fun life and smoked than live to be 90 and not have had any fun at all.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

This bothers me. Not all smokers get cancer. Even so, no matter how childish it sounds, I'd rather die at 50-something knowing I lived a fun life and smoked than live to be 90 and not have had any fun at all.

Well said. Longer life =/= better life. Smoking a cigarette is no different from having a coffee, an alcoholic beverage or driving an automobile.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »

This bothers me. Not all smokers get cancer. Even so, no matter how childish it sounds, I'd rather die at 50-something knowing I lived a fun life than live to be 90 and not have had any fun at all.

I absolutely agree.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »

Because smoking is the key to living a fun life? I know you'll have loads of fun lugging around your oxygen tank and undergoing chemo.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »

Because smoking is the key to living a fun life? I know you'll have loads of fun lugging around your oxygen tank and undergoing chemo.

Beat me to it.  That POV is one of the more retarded arguments in favor of smoking there are.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »

For some people, yes. Others drink coffee or use PCP or go skydiving. It isn't any of my business though. Different people have different tastes. You can get cancer just from going to the beach.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

For some people, yes. Others drink coffee or use PCP or go skydiving. It isn't any of my business though. Different people have different tastes. You can get cancer just from going to the beach.

My tastes run towards not dying of small-cell lung cancer.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »

You can develop or avoid lung cancer irregardless of smoking cigarettes.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »

Your totally on-topic photoshopped picture of the president and your use of the non-word "irregardless" has completely convinced me of your ironclad position.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »

Your totally on-topic photoshopped picture of the president and your use of the non-word "irregardless" has completely convinced me of your ironclad position.

Who cares if its photoshopped? "Irregardless" is an oft-used colloquialism and is acceptable in informal conversation. I don't see the problem. If you are in Las Vegas and still think smoking is antisocial then you might need to think about some things for a while.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2012, 05:27:46 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

Like Napoleon said, having fun is subjective. My great grandfather smoked a pipe for about 60 years and died of old age at 95.

For some people, having fun is living a normal life and going to see a movie every once and a while. For others, it's doing acid and dodging traffic.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »

This is true. Smoking however leads to a multifold increase in the likelihood of dying. And a picture of a man who I strongly disagree with is supposed to make me think what, exactly?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »

This is true. Smoking however leads to a multifold increase in the likelihood of dying. And a picture of a man who I strongly disagree with is supposed to make me think what, exactly?

The picture serves no real purpose beyond my own amusement, rather similar to posting on this forum or smoking in that regard.

Your likelihood of dying has always been 100% and I don't foresee changes to your chances anytime soon. But, you do many things that put you at risk for death, I don't need to know you to know that and you are better off saying that smoking doesn't appeal to you so you abstain, instead of being prudish and moralistic about it. Do you drink sodas, eat fast food or use automobiles as transportation?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »

Ah, the old I had a grandad who smoked 300 cigarettes and he lived until he was a hundred and two chestnut, similarly I had two great uncles who smoked about 20 a day and died aged 40, all of their 7 siblings are still alive and never smoked. Look, I know lots of smokers and have absolutely nothing against them, but trying to say smoking doesn't have a huge effect on your life expectancy is just stupid.

Oh, and never.
Win32
Rookie
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »

I've never smoked anything. I might try a cigar some time, though I don't intend to make a habit of it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »

Ah, the old I had a grandad who smoked 300 cigarettes and he lived until he was a hundred and two chestnut, similarly I had two great uncles who smoked about 20 a day and died aged 40, all of their 7 siblings are still alive and never smoked. Look, I know lots of smokers and have absolutely nothing against them, but trying to say smoking doesn't have a huge effect on your life expectancy is just stupid.
I haven't seen anyone argue that smoking wont impact one's life expectancy. I have seen some ridiculous posts like "smoking leads to death". Think about it, life leads to death. So I don't try to act like smoking doesn't impact one's life expectancy but:

1. I don't particularly care. I smoke for my own enjoyment.

2. I am not convinced by the moralizing of nonsmokers. I highly doubt they abstain from all risky behaviors. Prioritizing them and choosing not to smoke is fine but acting like its anything beyond that and you just look like a douche IMO. It's also pretty condescending when people seem to think that smoking turns one into some line of addicted cigarette zombie. That only happens if you want it to happen. You seem to understand a bit better though, which is good.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »

Jack White smokes, all of your arguments are invalid:

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »

I quit smoking cigarettes about 6-7 months ago.  While I was never a very heavy smoker, I smoked enough that I can still really feel the difference now that I have stopped. It has made my quality of life better and doing cardio much easier. TBS, smokers and being around smoking do not bother me at all and I'm not a big fan of some of the smoking bans they put out.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies