Does Andrew Cuomo need to get married if he wants to be president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:20:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Does Andrew Cuomo need to get married if he wants to be president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Andrew Cuomo need to get married if he wants to be president?  (Read 3628 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:07:52 AM »

Cuomo is divorced, and shares a NYC-area house with his current girlfriend (though obviously he spends a lot of his time in Albany now).  Is that a killer for any presidential ambitions he might have?  Will he need to get married if he wants to have any hope of winning the White House?  Would being unmarried not only hurt him in the general election, but the primaries as well?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »

I was thinking about this recently.

If he has a stable relationship with his girlfriend, he should be fine. If he and his girlfriend break up inbetween now and then, it might hamper his campaign a bit. But he could still win, certainly.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »

I don't think it's that relevant for a Democrat.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »

Doesn't need to.  Those days have gone the way of his marriage.  His ex was just arrested for DUI btw.

Because of the weird, obsolete same-state VP rule, his chance of ever being president take a huge hit if Hillary runs in 2016.  Ironic since Bill Clinton likely would never have been president if Mario Cuomo had run.  Unless, Jeb is nominated and wants to run with Rubio and it's bipartisan repeal.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »

Because of the weird, obsolete same-state VP rule, his chance of ever being president take a huge hit if Hillary runs in 2016.

Of course, that's true of any of the likely 2016 Democratic candidates.  Anyway, Cuomo wouldn't be too old in 2020.  If Clinton runs in 2016, then Cuomo likely sits out of the race and finishes his 2nd term.  Then if Clinton loses the GE, Cuomo runs in 2020.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »

Keep in mind New York has no term limits. The elder Cuomo served three terms and was defeated running for a fourth. Pataki also served three terms.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »

The only people who will care about this, or make it influence their vote, wouldn't have voted for Cuomo, let alone a Democrat, to start with.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »

The only people who will care about this, or make it influence their vote, wouldn't have voted for Cuomo, let alone a Democrat, to start with.

I might care, but it probably wouldn't make me not vote for him.

Doesn't need to.  Those days have gone the way of his marriage.  His ex was just arrested for DUI btw.

Because of the weird, obsolete same-state VP rule, his chance of ever being president take a huge hit if Hillary runs in 2016.  Ironic since Bill Clinton likely would never have been president if Mario Cuomo had run.  Unless, Jeb is nominated and wants to run with Rubio and it's bipartisan repeal.

Hillary could just move back to Arkansas. Cheney did this; he was living in Texas at the beginning of 2000.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »

I sorta kinda care, but I'm not voting for him anyway, so...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »

Clinton wouldn't pick Cuomo as her running mate anyway.  She'd pick someone with more rural appeal, like a Jon Tester type (though perhaps not Tester himself, since his odds of still being in the Senate after this year aren't looking great at the moment).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »

Why would you care?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »

His marital issue is with the Democratic base.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »

We once had a president who never had a wife (Buchanan, I believe it was), and I doubt this is an issue on many voters' minds.  So no.

I don't see why anyone should care, to be quite honest.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »

Hillary could just move back to Arkansas. Cheney did this; he was living in Texas at the beginning of 2000.

Didn't Cheney already have a Wyoming residence and just change which one he called his primary?  I don't think Clintons live in multiple states and doubt they'd go through too much hassle to allow VP Cuomo.

Clinton wouldn't pick Cuomo as her running mate anyway.  She'd pick someone with more rural appeal, like a Jon Tester type (though perhaps not Tester himself, since his odds of still being in the Senate after this year aren't looking great at the moment).

She'd be way more likely to pick Schweitzer than Tester but I definitely think Cuomo would be the VP frontrunner if it weren't for the same-state nonsense.  Clintons had good results ignoring the idea of VP as balance in 92 and are known to favor loyalists, which Cuomo is.  If Obama were popular enough in 2016, Hillary could also keep Biden as VP and Cuomo could still run in '24.  There were other reasons for Obama to favor Biden for VP over Bayh and Kaine but I've always had a pet theory that part of the appeal was that, at a moment Obama was sort of desperate for the Clintons' support, picking Biden as VP left the door open for Hillary 2016 without having to put Hillary herself on the ticket.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »

Yes he needs to get married. If I could marry Sandra Lee I know I would.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »

Why would you care?

Long-term cohabitation in relationships like this appears to be strikes me as fickle for fickleness's sake.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »

Why would you care?

Long-term cohabitation in relationships like this appears to be strikes me as fickle for fickleness's sake.

I would think being cheated on in a very public way and your kids' classmates being able to read about it in the paper etc. might make someone a little gun shy.  On the other hand, getting elected president with a different first lady is pretty nice revenge.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »

Why would you care?

I would think being cheated on in a very public way and your kids' classmates being able to read about it in the paper etc. might make someone a little gun shy.  On the other hand, getting elected president with a different first lady is pretty nice revenge.

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware of Cuomo's backstory here.

I definitely do still agree that becoming President married to someone else, even if it's Sandra Lee, would be the most hilarious revenge of all.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 11:49:30 PM »

I hope Cuomo is elected President unmarried.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 01:41:19 PM »

Nah, he already married RF's daughter Kerry Kennedy, and have had wonderful children by her. That's in itself enough.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »

I do think it's important that he maintains a good relationship with his children. I do also think that if his ex-wife really engages in self-destructive behavior it would pose an unwanted distraction to his career.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »

Btw, not really worth starting a new thread on this, so I'll put it in this existing Cuomo thread.....he's already raised almost $20 million for his reelection, even though the election isn't for over two years:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/nyregion/bigger-donations-aid-cuomos-campaign-treasury.html?src=recg

And his father talked up the possibility of Andrew running for prez a few weeks ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/nyregion/cuomos-father-speaks-of-presidential-future-for-son.html
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »

Anyone who votes or doesn't vote for a candidate based on their martial status is an idiot and really doesn't deserve the right to vote. Not that I would advocate taking away their right to vote, but they really don't deserve to have it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies