What's up with Hungary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:49:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What's up with Hungary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's up with Hungary?  (Read 4328 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »

I've been hearing about Hungary lately, but I don't know how reliable my info is, so I'm asking this forum. Is Hungary veering off into the far right and semi-fascist end of the political spectrum? What's really going on there?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:00:33 AM »

I feel much better when I forget about Hungary. What's happening there is so heartbreaking that living with the thought is just impossible.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

I feel much better when I forget about Hungary. What's happening there is so heartbreaking that living with the thought is just impossible.

So it's really awful there, then? Is it Greek levels of far-right insanity? I'd like more info.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »

So it's really awful there, then? Is it Greek levels of far-right insanity? I'd like more info.

Consider this a mostly uninformed and short summary, but I believe what happened is that the Hungarian right was elected in a landslide few years ago and have since been whittling away the independence of the judiciary and press, making the country an all around less democratic place. The biggest problem with that, is that the fastest growing potential rival (Jobbik) is WORSE, being a sort of ultra-nationalist, Hungary-for-the-Hungarians, almost neo-nazi party. So, with the only options being frying pan or fire, people aren't too hopeful about the political future there.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »

Consider this a mostly uninformed and short summary, but I believe what happened is that the Hungarian right was elected in a landslide few years ago and have since been whittling away the independence of the judiciary and press, making the country an all around less democratic place. The biggest problem with that, is that the fastest growing potential rival (Jobbik) is WORSE, being a sort of ultra-nationalist, Hungary-for-the-Hungarians, almost neo-nazi party. So, with the only options being frying pan or fire, people aren't too hopeful about the political future there.
Hungary is the most worrying place in Europe these days, even more than Greece. If the European Project fails, it would be a setback: a big one to be sure, but one that could be recovered from in 10-20 years. If Europe slides back to its old pre-World War II ways of racial hatred and ultranationalism, the results for the entire world will be much, much worse.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »

I've been hearing about Hungary lately, but I don't know how reliable my info is, so I'm asking this forum. Is Hungary veering off into the far right and semi-fascist end of the political spectrum? What's really going on there?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=145685.0
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:58:27 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 09:45:15 AM by Gobernador Velasco »

Hungary is the most worrying place in Europe these days, even more than Greece. If the European Project fails, it would be a setback: a big one to be sure, but one that could be recovered from in 10-20 years. If Europe slides back to its old pre-World War II ways of racial hatred and ultranationalism, the results for the entire world will be much, much worse.

It's always useful looking back in History. In the case of Hungary, the country was ruled by a conservative and authoritarian former admiral of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, Miklós Horthy. He was in office between 1920 and 1944 and was a close ally of Hitler, at least until the course of the war became ugly and the Magyar nation was in the verge of being invaded by the Red Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikl%C3%B3s_Horthy

The contexts are not exactly the same but it has been pointed by many that the economic crisis and the decadence of Europe are factors that contribute to the surge of authoritarian, ultranationalist, xenophobic and anti democratic feelings in general.

PS: Why is that photo posted above? Hungarian girls are better looking for sure.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »

I know some one who is "hungary"....
-snip-

No, no Hungary

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »

This is certainly unpleasant in a vague way, but it seems like an exaggerated trend. (Although, Hungary of all countries certainly has reason to be expansionistic; there are Hungarian-majority areas just across the border in Serbia and Slovakia and there's also the Szekely exclave in Romania, which is far away but nevertheless dominated by Hungarians). People who are really freaking out need to read the cover of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

For those who don't understand the reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Don.27t_Panic

Is this supposed to be some kind of a joke?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »

Wow, this thread has turned into an unmitigated disaster with Vosem being his typical idiot and clarence continuing to be a troll.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 07:58:35 PM by Vosem »

Wow, this thread has turned into an unmitigated disaster with Vosem being his typical idiot and clarence continuing to be a troll.

Having read up some more on the situation, I deleted that post. It's still being exaggerated by some people (as I understand, the electoral system remains free, so if people want these laws overturned, they can vote for a party that does that).

I'm also not sure I can be called a 'typical idiot' by someone who thinks Stephen Harper is the f**king Antichrist.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »

It seems to me that far-right parties wield significant influence in many European countries; Hungary is just the most blatant example.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »

It's always useful looking back in History. In the case of Hungary, the country was ruled by a conservative and authoritarian former admiral of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, Miklós Horthy. He was in office between 1920 and 1944 and was a close ally of Hitler, at least until the course of the war became ugly and the Magyar nation was in the verge of being invaded by the Red Army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikl%C3%B3s_Horthy

The contexts are not exactly the same but it has been pointed by many that the economic crisis and the decadence of Europe are factors that contribute to the surge of authoritarian, ultranationalist, xenophobic and anti democratic feelings in general.

PS: Why is that photo posted above? Hungarian girls are better looking for sure.

All the more worrying because the analogy goes even further: these guys deposed Horthy when he tried to quit the war.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »

It seems to me that far-right parties wield significant influence in many European countries; Hungary is just the most blatant example.
No sh**t.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 03:21:37 AM »

No sh**t.

Of course, look at the vote tallies of the SVP in Switzerland or the FPO in Austria. My point is that it is a broader issue than most people suggest.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:57 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 08:51:21 AM by Gobernador Velasco »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, yes I've read something about the Arrow Cross Nazis. Quoting the Wiki:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

About the "Final Solution" in Hungary is very interesting the reading of 'Fateless' or 'Fatelessness', a short and autobiographic book by Imre Kertesz, Hungarian, Jewish and Nobel Prize. It's really shocking the way that Kertesz relate the inconspicuous sucession of events that finally ends in Buchenwald.

Anyways Viktor Orbán seems to be more of the Horthy authoritarian style, without the Austro-Hungarian aristocratic pedigree, of course. Worrying and disgusting in any case and a dangerous symptom of an illness that cross many parts of Europe. There is also a far-right antisemite party called "Hungarian Justice and Life", now extra-parliamentary. I see that there's a previous thread on this subject and this one is absolutely train-wrecked. Also I see that I must pay more attention to the current politics in that country in Central Europe; it's a shame but many of us only notice how beautiful Budapest is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies