Texas GOP Senate Runoff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas GOP Senate Runoff
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: Who would you  vote for?
David Dewhurst

Ted Cruz

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Texas GOP Senate Runoff  (Read 20100 times)
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »

Well, now Ted Cruz will get to become a "creature of the establishment." 

I suppose I was supporting Dewhurst because he came across as more pragmatic and able to compromise than Cruz.  I guess the plus for Cruz is that he is very young so perhaps he can serve four terms and just be in his 60s (Dewhurst is already 65).  Another plus is that he is sure to win anyway. 

I keep thinking of the tea party losers who have cost the GOP a Senate majority or jeopardized otherwise sure wins:  Miller (AK), O'Donnell (DE), Murdock (IN), and Fischer (NE).  Cruz isn't in this category, so it is less daunting.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2012, 10:03:31 PM »

I keep thinking of the tea party losers who have cost the GOP a Senate majority or jeopardized otherwise sure wins:  Miller (AK), O'Donnell (DE), Murdock (IN), and Fischer (NE).  Cruz isn't in this category, so it is less daunting.

O'Donnell is the only one who fits that category. The GOP still held Alaska, Indiana and Nebraska are still likely GOP
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »

How "Tea Party" is Cruz?  Is he a true believer like DeMint?  Or someone who'll probably try to calibrate his message to serve ambitions for higher office, a la Rubio?  Is Cruz the type of candidate who could be the "diversity" pick on the VP shortlist for the 2016 GOP presidential nominee, a la Rubio in 2012?  Or is it too early to tell?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »

How "Tea Party" is Cruz?  Is he a true believer like DeMint?  Or someone who'll probably try to calibrate his message to serve ambitions for higher office, a la Rubio?  Is Cruz the type of candidate who could be the "diversity" pick on the VP shortlist for the 2016 GOP presidential nominee, a la Rubio in 2012?  Or is it too early to tell?

The Fix put it best: he's a hybrid of Rubio, DeMint and Lee. Most likely he follows the Rubio path IMO.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2012, 10:37:25 PM »

O'Donnell is the only one who fits that category. The GOP still held Alaska, Indiana and Nebraska are still likely GOP

Indiana is not likely GOP. Mourdock will probably hang on, but its a pure tossup.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2012, 10:48:50 PM »

Expected. During runoffs usually only "faithful of the faithful" vote, so, this is the best situation for extreme candidates in both parties))))
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »

Tmth, you were right. 57/43 with 95% in. Wink
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »

Indiana is not likely GOP. Mourdock will probably hang on, but its a pure tossup.

Right now, and thats because I am sure there are still a few butt hurt Lugar supporters, but I think eventually enough of them will come home. I heard earlier that Lugar is getting behind Mourdock so I don't see why this race should remain a toss up much longer.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2012, 12:38:51 AM »

PPP once again shows how accurate they are.

PPP poll: Cruz+10

Actual result: Cruz+11
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2012, 12:52:29 AM »

Right now, and thats because I am sure there are still a few butt hurt Lugar supporters, but I think eventually enough of them will come home. I heard earlier that Lugar is getting behind Mourdock so I don't see why this race should remain a toss up much longer.
Lugar said right after the election he'd support Mourdock, but he won't be stumping for him.

IIRC, Donnelly raised more than Mourdock in June. If not for the Obamacare vote, I think he'd be running away with this.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2012, 03:40:35 AM »

Congratulations Senator Cruz. Tongue

Lets face it, it's highly unlikely he loses the general.
In that spirit, congratulations Representatives Williams, Veasey, Vela, and Stockman. Perhaps a tad too early to add congratulations Representative Weber (though if Nick Lampson manages to return to Congress again, I'll laugh about as long and hard as I will if Roscoe Bartlett survives. Ciro Rodriguez' reretread attempt has ended, meanwhile. Quico can't be happy as Gallego is the stronger GE candidate.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2012, 08:12:58 AM »

He can't be on the ticket unless we do some tweaking with the Constitution: he was born in Canada.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »

In that spirit, congratulations Representatives Williams, Veasey, Vela, and Stockman. Perhaps a tad too early to add congratulations Representative Weber (though if Nick Lampson manages to return to Congress again, I'll laugh about as long and hard as I will if Roscoe Bartlett survives. Ciro Rodriguez' reretread attempt has ended, meanwhile. Quico can't be happy as Gallego is the stronger GE candidate.)

Interesting vote totals:

Primary: Dewhurst 627,731 Cruz 480,558
Runoff: Cruz 631,114, Dewhurst 480,010
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »

lol interesting indeed a big reversal
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »

He can't be on the ticket unless we do some tweaking with the Constitution: he was born in Canada.

But wasn't he born to an American citizen mother? If he becomes popular enough, I suspect that the GOP will go by the birthright citizenship interpretation.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »

PPP once again shows how accurate they are.

PPP poll: Cruz+10

Actual result: Cruz+11

http://enr.sos.state.tx.us/enr/results/july31_162_state.htm?x=0&y=4214&id=955

Cruz         56.79%
Dewhurst   43.20%

Actually Cruz +13.6.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »

Interesting vote totals:

Primary: Dewhurst 627,731 Cruz 480,558
Runoff: Cruz 631,114, Dewhurst 480,010

Lol, that's hilarious.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 04:58:37 PM by stegosaurus »

A bit short of my >60% prediction, but a decisive win none-the-less. I'm not a tea partier (I actually support the ACA) and I have strong disagreements with him on a number of issues, but Ted Cruz is an honest, hardworking individual who genuinely wants what (he thinks) is best for Texas and America. All things considered, he'll be the statesman that an entitled brat like Dewhurst could never be and I'm glad people here came around to this.

In other good news; Fmr. Lt. Governor and celebrated moderate Republican Bill Ratliff's son (Bennett Ratliff) narrowly beat out  Steve Nguyen, an optometrist who refers to himself as "Doctor" and who went to Washington to lobby for the bill (ACA) that he now says is "inconsistent with American values". It was narrow (51-49, ~350 votes), but a bullet was dodged for the people of NW Dallas.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

But wasn't he born to an American citizen mother? If he becomes popular enough, I suspect that the GOP will go by the birthright citizenship interpretation.

Yeah, his mother was a U.S. citizen, so he should be fine as far as birthright citizenship goes.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2012, 04:59:57 PM »

How will Texas feel having a Canadian senator? Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »

How will Texas feel having a Canadian senator? Wink

... with a Mexican name?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 07:33:29 PM by nclib »

County map, anyone?

I'm a bit disappointed about Cruz winning, even if their voting records would have been similar. It's not a good situation for the Dems for the far-right to get energized (unless it would result in another Angle, O'Donnell, etc.). Also, another token minority GOPer helps them pretend they aren't anti-minority (though Cruz is Cuban which is the only minority group that has been consistently GOP).
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »

They'll be too dumb to know the difference. (Seabiscut joke)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »

Nclib: OurCampaigns has a map. Blue is Dewhurst, red Cruz.

http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=767592
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »

I had hoped Dewhurst would win, but I can support Cruz.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies