Texas GOP Senate Runoff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas GOP Senate Runoff
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Who would you  vote for?
David Dewhurst

Ted Cruz

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Texas GOP Senate Runoff  (Read 20105 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
« edited: July 18, 2012, 08:28:18 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I thought the Lt. Gov's office in Texas was pretty weak.  Perry is pretty unpopular now based on what I've heard, and Huckabee endorsed Dewhurst.  BTW: Newt Gingrich was a great debater too, but during the primaries, he was the candidate who polled the worst against Pres. Obama.  I don't want someone who can debate the Democrats; I want someone who can defeat them.  Dewhurst and Cruz are both leading in the general election polls that I've seen, but Dewhurst polls better.  Dewhurst is just more mainstream and can get more votes from outside the base, even in a state like Texas.  I'm not saying that Cruz would jeopardize the GOP's chances of holding the seat, just that a Dem pickup is more likely with him than with Dewhurst.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 07:48:47 AM »

Is the difference that great between the two's performances in the polls as to be more than just name recognition?

Applying a uniform standard across all these states is big mistake and I have said the same when the TP was going on about killing all the rinos. In some states, the establishment candidate is the best, but all my criteria are saying this isn't one of them.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »

I thought the Lt. Gov's office in Texas was pretty weak.

In Texas we have a Dual Executive type of Government so both the Governor and Lt. Governor have roughly equal power.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »

About that debate.

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012/07/commentary-ted-cruz-is-big-winner-of-final-gop-senate-debate/
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »

Is the difference that great between the two's performances in the polls as to be more than just name recognition?

Applying a uniform standard across all these states is big mistake and I have said the same when the TP was going on about killing all the rinos. In some states, the establishment candidate is the best, but all my criteria are saying this isn't one of them.
I could not agree more!!!!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2012, 06:37:22 PM by Mr. Libertarian »

I would rather support Ted Cruz, who is on the growing Rand Paul sect of the republican party, than David Dewhurst and his band of lobbyists.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »

But the rest of the nation isn't ready for libertarian conservatives like Rand Paul.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »

I wouldn't say Cruz is a Paul type. After all, Santorum endorsed him. Wink
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »

Cruz is closer to Rand than he is to Santorum and a ton of libertarians* and actual conservatives support him.

*Some, such as my self, unenthusiastically.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 02:33:57 AM »

Being the "establishment candidate" does not make one a moderate. I voted for Cruz because Dewhurst is an establishment brat with an entitlement complex; not because the latter lacks right-wing cred. Dewhurst is a party line Republican, no more or less.

Ted Cruz is a proponent of the "Obama is anti-American" dumbassery, but is less likely to be the special-interest stooge that Dewhurst would be. There's virtually no difference between the two ideologically.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 02:40:21 AM »

I'm pulling for Dewhurst.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »

im going with Dewhurst
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

David Dewhurst.  The Lone Star State has to secure its pork somehow...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 01:28:30 AM »

But the rest of the nation isn't ready for libertarian conservatives like Rand Paul.

There is no way a republican can lose in Texas, and the people are tired of guys who hang around lobbyists all the time.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »

There is no way a republican can lose in Texas, and the people are tired of guys who hang around lobbyists all the time.
I would agree with that, at least at this time, but Dewhurst would do much better in a general election nonetheless.  Cruz is a good candidate, maybe even better overall than Dewhurst, but his nomination would set a dangerous precedent for the GOP in other states (much like candidates like Bill Brady, Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle, and Ken Buck did two years ago) that aren't as conservative/Republican of nominating far-right, unelectable candidates and losing more and more elections because of it.  Bill Buckley always said to support the most conservative candidate who can win, and while Cruz may be that candidate, nominating him will encourage Republicans in other states to do the same with candidates who are too fat-right for the general electorate.  If we had heeded Buckley's advice in 2010, Harry Reid would not be a Senator today, and neither would Chris Coons or Michael Bennet.  Pat Quinn would also not be Governor of Illinois today.  I'll just say this once to my fellow Republicans, but it's your party, and you'll lose if you want to.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »

I would agree with that, at least at this time, but Dewhurst would do much better in a general election nonetheless.  Cruz is a good candidate, maybe even better overall than Dewhurst, but his nomination would set a dangerous precedent for the GOP in other states (much like candidates like Bill Brady, Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle, and Ken Buck did two years ago) that aren't as conservative/Republican of nominating far-right, unelectable candidates and losing more and more elections because of it.  Bill Buckley always said to support the most conservative candidate who can win, and while Cruz may be that candidate, nominating him will encourage Republicans in other states to do the same with candidates who are too fat-right for the general electorate.  If we had heeded Buckley's advice in 2010, Harry Reid would not be a Senator today, and neither would Chris Coons or Michael Bennet.  Pat Quinn would also not be Governor of Illinois today.  I'll just say this once to my fellow Republicans, but it's your party, and you'll lose if you want to.

A point which makes no sense because we have already had Indiana and Nebraska this year plus all the primaries in the previous cycle. The precedent for throwing off establishment candidates is well set going all the way back to 2008 when Jason Chaffetz defeated Chris Cannon in the UT-03 GOP primary.

You also stated previously that you agreed with my point about not applying a uniform standard to all these states yet you essentially doing that here now saying that unless you support the establishment candidate everywhere, he will lose everywhere.

Plus losing 5 points on the general election margin (something which I doubt considering that Cruz has every potential to outperform Dewhurst as underperform him. I should note that in atleast one poll the Democrats poll the same against them, furthering the case for the difference to be a familiarity gap), is well worth it considering a choice between a corrupted insider and energetic challanger. Even more so when you consider there is little daylight ideologically between them, either.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »

The Buckley Rule clearly applies to Cruz here. Don't worry, Dewhurst will still be around... he's running for a fourth term in 2014.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »

The Buckley Rule clearly applies to Cruz here. Don't worry, Dewhurst will still be around... he's running for a fourth term in 2014.
I don't mean to sound rude, but how do you know?  And besides, Gov. Perry will probably not run again, so he might decide to run for governor in 2014 instead.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »

I don't mean to sound rude, but how do you know?  And besides, Gov. Perry will probably not run again, so he might decide to run for governor in 2014 instead.

Cruz isn't extreme enough to lose in Texas. Have you gotten a load of our guys in this election? They're pretty pathetic, although I guess it might help the most minuscule bit that one of them is named Yarborough.

Lieutenant Governor or Governor, Dewhurst gonna Dew for some time to come.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »

Huh? Been widely rumoured that Perry is running again. Also heard the same about Dewhurst, though resident Texans can correct me if I'm wrong.

Back OT... more shark-jumping from Dewhurst.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/24/dewhurst-super-pac-ad-cruz-responsible-for-mans-suicide-video/
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of Rick Perry becoming the longest continuously serving US governor in history.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 06:58:10 AM »

The runoff is next Tuesday, correct?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »

Si
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »

As did Mike Lee and both Pauls themselves.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »

My dad voted for Dewhurst with some prodding from me. I thought voting in the GOP primary would be more productive right now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies