Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 11:08:11 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Who'd Win The VP Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who'd Win The VP Debate  (Read 476 times)
Clinton1996
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:02:28 pm »
Ignore

Personally, I think Biden would murder whoever Romney picks. Bet it Ryan, Jindal, or Pawlenty. Portman might be able to take him, but hes already said that he's staying in the senate.

Speaker Dereich
Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »
Ignore

Biden isn't an exciting or interesting speaker and is far too prone to spontaneous foot-in-mouth incidents. I don't see why you think he'd be a master great debater. Sure, he'd probably beat Pawlenty, but Ryan would out-statistic him, Portman out-stature him, and Jindal....well who knows about him, but no matter who it is it probably won't be a blowout.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:21:53 pm by Dereich »Logged
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:07:03 pm »
Ignore

No one's "murdering" anyone.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  »

- Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
AT&T likes to throw money around.©
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »
Ignore

Jindal or Pawlenty would be destroyed. I could see Ryan doing well though.

What are you talking about Duke?  Things are great so far.   I do have to cling to God no matter what.  I have nothing against this at all,  but in my class there are 9 blacks and 4 whites.  African Americans are quite prevalent in that part of Tulsa.  I don't mind it at all,  but it is an interesting fact in white Oklahoma.
Clinton1996
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 02:21:51 pm »
Ignore

Biden isn't an exciting or interesting speaker and is far too prone to spontaneous foot-in-mouth incidents.
Not an exciting speaker? Obviously you haven't seen when he ripped McCain and Bush on the Iraq War.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1op8vwF5UA

Maxy
mah519
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:23:03 pm »
Ignore

I still can't believe Pawlenty is a real choice, but if he is, he would be MURDERED by Biden.

Otherwise, theres a chance that Biden could be evenly matched (Jindal) or even beaten (Portman).

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
YaBB God
Spain

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:59:26 pm »
Ignore

IMHO, Biden is a damn good speaker. That might be because I'm a liberal, and because Biden is one of my favourite politicians in the World... But he'd MURDER Jindal, T-Paw and Portman (they're all too boring). Ryan-Biden would be an exciting debate, I'd love to see that one.

My evolution (by The Political Matrix):
E: -6.06 -> -6.97 -> -6.97 -> -8.13 -> -7.29 -> -8.26 -> -8.65 -> -7.03
S: -6.78 -> -6.09 -> -7.30 -> -7.13 -> -8.09 -> -8.35 -> -9.04 -> -8.61
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:02:40 pm »
Ignore

Portman could occupy some sort of portentous high ground over Biden but I don't think he'd be able to go toe-to-toe. Ryan probably could, but Ryan has other problems, such as the fact that the Clarences don't like or trust him. Pawlenty and Jindal would both get smashed, but for different reasons.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 04:07:13 pm »

Portman would win, provided he doesn't get confused and start playing Biden:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/potential-romney-vp-rob-portman-method-actor-debate-090800452.html

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:26 pm »
Ignore

Portman's a highly skilled debater but he's not getting picked. Pawlenty... forget Obamneycare, he gets flustered easily (see his Norah O'Donnell interview this AM) and got pwned by Michele friggin' Bachmann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3AKF4miCig

Jindal: Doubt he's getting picked, but I wouldn't be overly worried except about his tendency to speak like an MG.

Ryan is the best choice for this scenario, as Morden said.

7.35, 3.65

- Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 04:22:43 pm »

When did I say that?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 04:23:28 pm »
Ignore

When did I say that?

Oops, meant Nathan.

7.35, 3.65

- Charles de Gaulle

JCL and the Geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »
Ignore

What about DeMint, Ayotte, Rand Paul, Haley and any of the potential tea party aligned folks that could be in line for VP. Because we all know Mitt has to pick a conservative or he's toast.

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Carlos May (R/IN-7)
Larry Bucshon (R/IN-8)
Todd Young (R/IN-9)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
Maxy
mah519
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 04:57:22 pm »
Ignore

What about DeMint, Ayotte, Rand Paul, Haley and any of the potential tea party aligned folks that could be in line for VP. Because we all know Mitt has to pick a conservative or he's toast.

Im split on this, because I do think the base is starting to tire of Romney's weakness, but at the same time, how much would a conservative help the ticket, considering the base hates Obama so much that about 70-80% would be voting for GINGRICH just to be beat Obama.

AT&T likes to throw money around.©
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 04:57:44 pm »
Ignore

He's not going to pick any of those people. Sorry.

What are you talking about Duke?  Things are great so far.   I do have to cling to God no matter what.  I have nothing against this at all,  but in my class there are 9 blacks and 4 whites.  African Americans are quite prevalent in that part of Tulsa.  I don't mind it at all,  but it is an interesting fact in white Oklahoma.
JCL and the Geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »
Ignore

He's not going to pick any of those people. Sorry.

You think he's gonna play it safe? If he does it'll be to his defeat.

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Carlos May (R/IN-7)
Larry Bucshon (R/IN-8)
Todd Young (R/IN-9)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:25 pm »
Ignore

Romney's problem is that Obama has been able to associate him with the nuts (sorry, Tea Partiers) of the Republican Party. Independents are tiring of the GOP, as it drifts further and further away from what they percieve to be "mainstream America." Romney picking someone like DeMint would be more detrimental than Romney picking someone like Pawlenty.

Bluegrassball
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 06:47:40 pm »
Ignore

Say what you want about Biden, you may think he's a doofus, goofy, verbose, etc... But he was in the Senate for nearly 4 decades and is a master at the art of debate.

He knows how to get a point across and connect emotionally with an audience. I don't think I've seen a debate where he didn't come across as clearer, stronger, and more genuine than his opponent.

Sure there have been gaffes, but those are always when he is milling about and seems to lose awareness of the cameras. But if he is at a podium or a similar setting and knows that he has to keep on message, he is damn good.

Again, you don't have to like the guy to see this. The VP debate is all but wrapped up, no matter who Romney picks. Not that it will matter.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:04:31 pm by Bluegrassball »Logged
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 07:09:38 pm »
Ignore

No one said Biden's a bad debater.

7.35, 3.65

- Charles de Gaulle

WhyteRain
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

P

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 07:45:02 pm »
Ignore

Personally, I think Biden would murder whoever Romney picks. Bet it Ryan, Jindal, or Pawlenty. Portman might be able to take him, but hes already said that he's staying in the senate.

Biden's an idiot.  His best move in the debate would be to fall asleep before he said some of the batsh!t crazy stuff he said in the 2008 one.
WhyteRain
YaBB God
Political Matrix

P

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »
Ignore

Romney's problem is that Obama has been able to associate him with the nuts (sorry, Tea Partiers) of the Republican Party. Independents are tiring of the GOP, as it drifts further and further away from what they percieve to be "mainstream America." Romney picking someone like DeMint would be more detrimental than Romney picking someone like Pawlenty.

Without the Tea Partyers, the GOP is a 10% party.
WhyteRain
YaBB God
Political Matrix

P

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:20 pm »
Ignore

Wait ... now that I've read some of the replies ... LOL -- I gotta ask:  Does anyone else here remember the batsh!t crazy stuff Biden said at the 2008 debate?

I mean, I know if Palin or Bush said it, every fool would remember it because the news media, entertainment media, academia, the labor unions, the professional associations -- in short, all the cultural megaphones dominated by the Left would have told them 1,000 times by now.

But I thought this was an erudite forum -- one whose members weren't led around by the nose of the cultural elitists.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout