Audit the Fed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:45:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Audit the Fed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: should we Audit the Fed ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Audit the Fed  (Read 1026 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »

should we
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 08:57:03 AM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Of course. Making the Fed transparent and holding it as accountable as any other government department is logical. The American people deserve to know how the Fed is affecting the American economy. It needs examination and assessment.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »

Absolutely.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »

Politicizing and giving Congress more power over what is supposed to be (and needs to be) an independent central bank is one of the most awful reasonable-sounding policy proposals currently in fashion.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »

Of course not. It's pure idiocy.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:32:55 PM »

Red herring
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:48:54 PM »

Hell no, this easily been one of the worst products of the backlash against the center/elite.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »

Politicizing and giving Congress more power over what is supposed to be (and needs to be) an independent central bank is one of the most awful reasonable-sounding policy proposals currently in fashion.
The FED has more power over Congress than Congress has over it.

How so? If auditing the FED is idiocy, then so is reporting campaign finance issues and releasing tax returns.
Hell no, this easily been one of the worst products of the backlash against the center/elite.
If we all despise the "elite" so much, why not kill the weed at its roots?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »

I don't mean to generalize global politics but huge component of the backlash against the centrist consensus over the past ten years has been negative for our social contract: anti-globalization, anti-multiculturalism and knee jerk reactions against apparatuses that are entirely necessary.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »

Absolutely not. This is one of the worst ideas about how to fix the government I've ever heard. If the Fed is doing something they aren't "supposed" to be doing, exposing it will only bring the problem to light and shatter confidence. Economics is all (well not all, but a whole lot of it) about confidence, whether it be in future growth or the value of our currency. Intentionally taking a risk like this, with little or no apparent upside value, is a terrible idea.

And if all of that doesn't scare you, the very thought of the Fed being run by Congress ought to.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »

Absolutely not. This is one of the worst ideas about how to fix the government I've ever heard. If the Fed is doing something they aren't "supposed" to be doing, exposing it will only bring the problem to light and shatter confidence. Economics is all (well not all, but a whole lot of it) about confidence, whether it be in future growth or the value of our currency. Intentionally taking a risk like this, with little or no apparent upside value, is a terrible idea.

And if all of that doesn't scare you, the very thought of the Fed being run by Congress ought to.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one... but what if the Fed is actually doing something that will hurt the economy in the long run?  Say then, maybe, those wrongdoings were to be discovered later and confidence is shattered, then?  I get the whole 'ignorance is bliss' idea, but letting such a powerful arm of the government like the Fed go totally unchecked just sounds foolish to me.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 03:49:03 AM by realisticidealist »

The largest virtue of the Fed is that it is an "unchecked" (which isn't true), antidemocratic force (though ultimately no more so than the Supreme Court. It would fail de Tocqueville's definition) that's designed to be the "adult in the room".  Having a democratically-controlled monetary policy is the fastlane to economic devastation, a fact repeatedly borne out by history.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one... but what if the Fed is actually doing something that will hurt the economy in the long run?  Say then, maybe, those wrongdoings were to be discovered later and confidence is shattered, then?  I get the whole 'ignorance is bliss' idea, but letting such a powerful arm of the government like the Fed go totally unchecked just sounds foolish to me.

You do realize that the financial statements of the Federal Reserve are already audited by the GAO, right? Any sort of manipulation of the money supply would surely have to show up there due to the limited abilities that the Fed has to actually undertake monetary policy.

What the latest bills want are not financial audits but the actual proceedings and documentation of meetings where the Fed makes any of its decisions (a "management audit"). Paul's bill would let Congress analyze any decision the Fed makes at their whim. That sounds like politicization to me.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »

The Federal Reserve should absolutely be held accountable by the American public for anything that it may have done without the sanction of daylight during the financial crisis. If anything, an audit of the Federal Reserve would be good in that it would apply more political pressure to the Federal Reserve and push us in the direction of truly public banking.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »

Also, I find it the height of irony that the one bill of Paul's that ever passed the House not only would expand the power of the federal government and Congress, but also would provide the groundwork for the greatest inflation crisis in modern US history. It's almost poetic.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »

Also, I find it the height of irony that the one bill of Paul's that ever passed the House not only would expand the power of the federal government and Congress, but also would provide the groundwork for the greatest inflation crisis in modern US history. It's almost poetic.

How would a simple audit of the Federal Reserve's finances cause the 'greatest inflation crisis in modern US history'? Beyond that, the United States economy is incredibly deflated. It wouldn't cause hyperinflation (I'm not convinced it would cause much inflation at all), but even if it caused some inflation, it would be a bet positive. Some degree of Inflation is good for a deflated economy.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »

How would a simple audit of the Federal Reserve's finances cause the 'greatest inflation crisis in modern US history'? Beyond that, the United States economy is incredibly deflated. It wouldn't cause hyperinflation (I'm not convinced it would cause much inflation at all), but even if it caused some inflation, it would be a bet positive. Some degree of Inflation is good for a deflated economy.

Did you read my other post? The Fed is already being audited on a regular basis. What the bill that passed the House does is give Congress review of every single decision the Fed makes. They can see any document the Fed has, and call Fed officials to have to justify any decision they make. With Congress essentially perpetually breathing down their neck, you really think the Fed wouldn't try to just appease Congress eventually? That right there is the death knell of an independent central bank. Studies and logic both show that the less independent the central bank, the higher the average rate of inflation in a country; heck, it's happened before in the United States.

Secondly, if you think inflation is a good thing right now, why do you care if the Fed printed off some money to loan to faltering institutions (which evidence shows they didn't--any money used was their own)? That would only either increase the base money supply or have no effect.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »

Dern skippy it should be audited. I'd like to see it abolished and congress assume its constuitional responsibility regarding the coining and issuance of currency.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »

Dern skippy it should be audited. I'd like to see it abolished and congress assume its constitutional responsibility regarding the coining and issuance of currency.

Because Congress has shown its great at making painful short term decisions that lead to long term prosperity, right?
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 04:04:36 PM »

Dern skippy it should be audited. I'd like to see it abolished and congress assume its constitutional responsibility regarding the coining and issuance of currency.

Because Congress has shown its great at making painful short term decisions that lead to long term prosperity, right?

You make a valid point, but I would still rather the body in charge of our currency and monetary policy be beholden to the people; which private bankers are not. One could argue that the responsibilities of the Federal Reserve are too complex to subject to the bipolar nature of the American electorate, but I would counter with the naturally self-serving nature of the forces currently controlling the Fed. In short, we have a big problem with no fail-safe solution; meaning it won't be changed in our lifetime, barring a major catalyst that makes reform inevitable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies