US House approves $650m cut in Pakistan aid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:24:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  US House approves $650m cut in Pakistan aid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House approves $650m cut in Pakistan aid  (Read 669 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:35:37 AM »
« edited: July 30, 2012, 03:32:10 AM by afleitch »

link[quote]The move, led by Republican Congressman Ted Poe, took place when the House was debating the Department of Defence Appropriations Act for 2013, which allocates money for the US military budget.

Addressing the House floor, Rep. Ted Poe, said it was time for a new strategy with Pakistan, while describing Pakistan as a “Benedict Arnold” nation. Benedict Arnold was an American general who defected to the British side during the Revolutionary War.

“They (Pakistan) have proven to be deceptive and deceitful and a danger to the United States,” said Rep. Poe, adding that Pakistan did not deserve US money.

Rep. Poe had initially demanded a cut of $1.3 billion, but on the intervention of ranking member Rep. Young, he was asked to amend it, leading to a cut of $650 million.

The fresh cut follows Washington’s recent efforts to bridge the gap with Pakistan. The inflammatory rhetoric and cheerful endorsement in the US House may not be reassuring for the Obama administration as it tries to rebuild relations with Islamabad.
quote]Good.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »

That is a good thing; Pakistan has been double-dealing with America AND the Taliban waaay to long. We don't need to prop them up any longer.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »

Hopefully we will cut aid to just about every other country as well...
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »

Yet our Israeli military aid stays the same...
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »

I hope everyone acknoledges that we need Pakistan, and will continue to need their support long after we leave Afghanistan. The only reason they only half support us is because we really don't have the choice of doing without them.

Not everything has to do with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »

I hope everyone acknoledges that we need Pakistan, and will continue to need their support long after we leave Afghanistan. The only reason they only half support us is because we really don't have the choice of doing without them.

Not everything has to do with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Why do we need Pakistan? It would make more sense to withdrawal from Afghanistan now, and quit fighting this unwinnable war. That way, Pakistan won't have us by the balls anymore. That would be a much more logical thing to do, than just cut aid but continuing the war.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »

Certainly you don't argue Pakistan deserves more aid than Israel?
Jacobtm

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:22:08 PM »

Hopefully Pakistan grows a pair and tells the U.S. military to get the hell out now that we're bribing them less.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »

Hopefully Pakistan grows a pair and tells the U.S. military to get the hell out now that we're bribing them less.

Hopefully Pakistan grows a pair and starts really fighting the Taliban so they can get the money back. I honestly prefer pbrower to you because at least he occasionally makes me laugh. The fact that there are people out there with your views -- not many, but they exist -- is one of the key things wrong with the country.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 04:35:05 PM by Redalgo »

The Pakistani government has been and still is in an awkward position. They do not want the United States to become too close to India, are stuck half-halfheartedly fighting terrorists - many of which are of the same Pashtun ethnic nation they would like to see dominate the region and have the support of for forming a unified bloc against India (i.e. they used to like the Taliban), and yet within their country they have to walk a fine line to work with the West in pursuit of their interests and avoid cultivating any outward appearance of strongly liking us since a lot of their own people don't. I reckon they'd also like to fight groups carrying out attacks against them but are rather reluctant to draw forces away from their eastern borders with nemesis India, which is perceived to be a very serious threat and major military power.

That is not to say I agree with what the regime is doing, but the most utilitarian thing for it to do involves playing just about everyone in the region for their own ends so long as they can - hoping that nobody gets especially pissed off at them in the process... though I suppose that much is sort of inevitable given their conflicting national interests. I do not think we should be giving them any military aid, but if any of that money was going to be for humanitarian efforts I would ask why the needy, disadvantaged, and/or under-privileged should be punished for the actions of their leaders? If the funds in question are all for military uses, however, I think this is a great idea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies