Ron Paul: I 'Have Not' Decided If I'll Vote for Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:46:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ron Paul: I 'Have Not' Decided If I'll Vote for Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Paul: I 'Have Not' Decided If I'll Vote for Romney  (Read 2158 times)
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:02:39 AM »

Ron Paul, who is still technically running for the Republican nomination, says he has not decided whether or not he'll vote for Mitt Romney.

"I have not made a decision," Paul told Fox Business Network's Liz Claman and David Asman.

When asked what he thinks about Romney as a candidate for president, Paul responded, "Compared to whom? He certainly offers different things than the current president. But the current conditions make it rough for anyone. They are going to have a very though job."

Paul and Romney reportedly struck up a friendly rapport on the campaign trail, The New York Times noted in February.

While Paul is still a candidate, he announced in May that he would stop campaigning in new states, and his supporters have fallen short of reaching the delegate threshold necessary to make him eligible for the GOP presidential nomination at the party's national convention in Tampa, but Paul has not officially announced his withdrawal from the race, as other Republican candidates have done.

It's almost gospel that Republican candidates, despite their rivalry, must acknowledge that they would support any Republican presidential candidate over the Democratic incumbent. But given Paul's nonconformity to the party mold, he hasn't always been afforded that courtesy: In December, Newt Gingrich said he would not vote for Paul if the Texas congressman became the GOP's nominee.

Paul drastically differs from most Republicans, including Mitt Romney, on some major policy points, including his desire to eliminate the Federal reserve and close U.S. military bases overseas.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/07/ron-paul-i-have-not-decided-if-ill-vote-for-romney/
http://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-not-decided-ill-vote-romney-220843599--abc-news-politics.html
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »

I saw a report that the RNC has confirmed that Pauls name will be placed in consideration due to his getting delegates in Colorado. Can anyone else confirm this?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »

I feel like Paul will either abstain or ultimately vote for Romney -- since he is an actual member of the Republican Party in spite of some un-Republican views, he clearly understands that the third parties are hopeless (now; there are paths they could take to try to get into a balance-of-power position, but they're stubbornly not taking them) and that the GOP is the lesser of two evils. He lives in Texas, where Romney will win anyway pretty much no matter what, so I think the first is more likely, or I guess maybe a symbolic vote for Johnson.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »

I feel like Paul will either abstain or ultimately vote for Romney -- since he is an actual member of the Republican Party in spite of some un-Republican views, he clearly understands that the third parties are hopeless (now; there are paths they could take to try to get into a balance-of-power position, but they're stubbornly not taking them) and that the GOP is the lesser of two evils. He lives in Texas, where Romney will win anyway pretty much no matter what, so I think the first is more likely, or I guess maybe a symbolic vote for Johnson.

Paul could help Romney considerably in NV, CO and NH, though. So having not only his endorsement, but active support, could be advantageous to Romney. Especially if Johnson starts to surge in the polls, Romney might consider reaching some sort of deal with Paul on some of the issues we previous discussed a few months ago.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »

He's been mugged by reality, as the old saying goes.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »

Has Sarah Palin still not endorsed Romney?  If not, then I suspect she won't for awhile -- at least before he gets the formal nomination.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »

Has Sarah Palin still not endorsed Romney?  If not, then I suspect she won't for awhile -- at least before he gets the formal nomination.

She very weakly supported Romney on the Today Show back early April.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »

I do not think that a Romney victory will depend on the one vote of Ron Paul so this is not really news.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:54:20 AM »

What does Romney offer that Bush, Dole, Bush, and McCain didn't? I don't see any reason Paul's logic should have changed unless there's a deal involved.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 02:08:30 AM »

What does Romney offer that Bush, Dole, Bush, and McCain didn't? I don't see any reason Paul's logic should have changed unless there's a deal involved.
Rand Paul.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »

Rand Paul.

We don't know what Rand Paul's endorsement record is. And Ron Paul has already gone on record saying Romney would need to change his positions on foreign policy and civil liberties to receive his endorsement.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »

Rand Paul.

We don't know what Rand Paul's endorsement record is. And Ron Paul has already gone on record saying Romney would need to change his positions on foreign policy and civil liberties to receive his endorsement.

The point is that Paul can no longer go renegade without damaging his son's future politically, now that he is a Senator. The calculus has thus changed somewhat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies