Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 05:16:37 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results
| | |-+  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  Ralph Nader in Arkansas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ralph Nader in Arkansas  (Read 1725 times)
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:49:48 pm »
Ignore

In 2008, Nader's best state was...Arkansas, with 1.19% of the vote. Given that Arkansas is not known as a leftist hotbed or an environmentalist hub, this seems rather random. Any ideas?

Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:53:53 pm »
Ignore

A lot of Democrats there didn't want to vote for Obama but social issues weren't enough to male them vote for McCain either.

memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:58:57 pm »
Ignore

A lot very small number of Democrats there didn't want to vote for Obama but social issues weren't enough to male them vote for McCain either.
It was 1% of voters.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:01:55 am »
Ignore

I thought Naders best state was Maine, with 1.45% of the vote. His best county was in Idaho, however.

A Hybrid of Pat Buchanan and Bob Dylan.
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:16:19 am »
Ignore

A lot very small number of Democrats there didn't want to vote for Obama but social issues weren't enough to male them vote for McCain either.
It was 1% of voters.

Obama only won 77% of Democrats there; that's a still pretty big portion of Democrats defecting, regardless if they voted for McCain or Nader.

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:01:32 am »
Ignore

PUMAs!!!111

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 11:40:22 am »
Ignore

I thought Naders best state was Maine, with 1.45% of the vote. His best county was in Idaho, however.

Indeed, Arkansas was in fact Nader's third best state after Maine (1.45%) and North Dakota (1.32%).  His second and third best counties after that one in Idaho were both in Arkansas, though.

The PUMA element has some truth to it.  Also, the Green Party is a lot stronger in Arkansas than most other states.  (Yes, I know Nader was not the Green candidate in 2008, but his association with the party and overall stature were more significant that McKinney's.)

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:02:10 pm »
Ignore

Indeed, Arkansas was in fact Nader's third best state after Maine (1.45%) and North Dakota (1.32%).  His second and third best counties after that one in Idaho were both in Arkansas, though.

The PUMA element has some truth to it.  Also, the Green Party is a lot stronger in Arkansas than most other states.  (Yes, I know Nader was not the Green candidate in 2008, but his association with the party and overall stature were more significant that McKinney's.)
Arkansas was home to the only elected Green Party official in the country. He was a state legislator, if I recall. He later changed party affiliation to the Democrats. Oddly enough, the only elected Green Party official in the country is a city council member in the town right next to me.

A Hybrid of Pat Buchanan and Bob Dylan.
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 01:03:12 pm »
Ignore

And McKinney's top four states were Louisiana, Maine, West Virginia, and Arkansas.

PUMA country! Other than Maine.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 05:03:58 pm »
Ignore

Arkansas was home to the only elected Green Party official in the country. He was a state legislator, if I recall. He later changed party affiliation to the Democrats. Oddly enough, the only elected Green Party official in the country is a city council member in the town right next to me.

Maine also had a Green legislator, John Eder.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »
Ignore

Maine also had a Green legislator, John Eder.

They still kind of do, in Ben Chipman, who despite being elected as an independent in 2010, has long been active in the ME Greens and was also Eder's aide for four years.

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 02:53:58 pm »
Ignore

And McKinney's top four states were Louisiana, Maine, West Virginia, and Arkansas.

Ironic given that McKinney probably has the same perceived flaw that made many PUMAs not vote for Obama. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:16:18 pm by SPC »Logged

Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 06:23:47 pm »
Ignore

Ironic given that McKinney probably has the same perceived flaw that made many PUMAs not vote for Obama. Tongue

Her name sounds white, though.

4 days left
solarstorm2012
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 05:19:56 pm »
Ignore

Everybody's talking about PUMA.
But who or what is that ominous PUMA? Huh

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia