SENATE BILL: Power to Parents Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:23:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Power to Parents Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Power to Parents Act (Failed)  (Read 6181 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »
« edited: August 09, 2012, 03:18:34 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Clarence
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2012, 11:31:17 AM by President Napoleon »

I can't even think of how this bill could be amended to get my signature.

Eliminating the Go Green Fund is out of the question.

Mandating local school districts to take on this policy is also inappropriate.

I can't stand by the removal of the community as a partner in education that this bill would bring about.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »

Shouldn't this be mandated at the regional or even local level?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »

Shouldn't this be mandated at the regional or even local level?

Yes and the Northeast already allows this.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »

Perhaps we could come up with a compromise, and give local communities the incentive to adopt this policy, rather than a mandate?

Though I must say, I am also uncomfortable with gutting the Go Green Fund.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »

Perhaps we could come up with a compromise, and give local communities the incentive to adopt this policy, rather than a mandate?

I don't see any reason why we should offer incentives.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »

I can't even think of how this bill could be amended to get my signature.

Eliminating the Go Green Fund is out of the question.

Mandating local school districts to take on this policy is also inappropriate.

I can't stand by the removal of the community as a partner in education that this bill would bring about.
1- this does not eliminate the Go Green Fund, but takes some away. Every part of the budget should be open to cuts

2- I appreciate that you did this in the Northeast...I commend you for it. However, the ultimate goal of legislation should be to give power to the people...the regions are sometimes a more favorable arena for that, sometimes not. I am not in the IDS legislature so I proposed it here and believe we have an obligation in this body to give as many rights as possible directly to the people
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »

Because if we do, we can give a strong reason for why the policy should be adopted by the individual communities without taking their role out of the equation.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 01:41:55 PM »

Because if we do, we can give a strong reason for why the policy should be adopted by the individual communities without taking their role out of the equation.
I would support this idea, Scott-
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

Would this bill not severely undermine efforts to racially diversify educational environs in a sizable number of districts, result in overcrowding the best schools, and eventually siphon funding away from the schools struggling the most (thus being least attractive to parents) to improve their levels of performance? I am a bit concerned about these things. What are your thoughts, Clarence? Is there a way to circumvent these issues? Or might they not be a priority?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »

Would this bill not severely undermine efforts to racially diversify educational environs in a sizable number of districts, result in overcrowding the best schools, and eventually siphon funding away from the schools struggling the most (thus being least attractive to parents) to improve their levels of performance? I am a bit concerned about these things. What are your thoughts, Clarence? Is there a way to circumvent these issues or might they not be a priority?

Redalgo- I want to say first that I appreciate your respectful and genuine feedback event hough we do not often agree...

As for racial diversity- in Florida communities are often divided by race... there are parts of my county which have many blacks while others have many fewer. As is- with school boundaries divided geographically this results in some schools having a higher percentage of blacks then others. Giving blacks (particularly poorer blacks) the opportunity to attend schools in another area which are often higher performing would likely help diversify schools

Overcrowding- one of the problems with low performing schools is overcrowding as they don't have the resources for every child... they lack computers and sometimes even desks. Higher performing schools likely have the capacity to take in more students while lower perofrming schools would be able to concentrate their resources on the students who remain, therefore improving those student's learning experiences

Siphoning funds- I believe the above answer shows my theory- which is that the schools will eventually even out. The disparity now between high performing and low performing schools is a shame on our nation's educational system...I believe this will give equal opportunity to every student to have the best possible education
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »

Amendment:

I'm still not completely sold on this bill, and I think there needs to be more discussion about the Go Green Fund line item (which is why this amendment doesn't affect it), but I think we ought to start from somewhere.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »

Scott- your amendment is FRIENDLY but I'd like to make one change... instead of "municipality" I believe it should be "school governing authority" as in many parts of the nation this is done by county
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »

Just to be clear I would veto this bill with or without Senator Scott's amendment. I am not very enthusiastic about making this an even more expensive proposal.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »

Just to be clear I would veto this bill with or without Senator Scott's amendment. I am not very enthusiastic about making this an even more expensive proposal.
I urge Senators to continue these discussions- if we can come to a consensus we will have numbers to overturn a veto

I also ask Mr. President- you proposed a redrafted bill in my discharge benefits bill... are there changes in this bill you could see that would make you likely to sign it? Unlike the Tea Party- I recognize compromise can achieve great things and can come to the table to discuss it
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »

Very well.  I will change this-

Amendment:
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »

The amendment is friendly
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 02:32:11 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2012, 02:38:58 PM by Redalgo »

I find Clarence's response to be persuasive, and am willing to go along with his plan and see what happens provided the incentive is dropped, the mandate reinstated, and the billion dollars we are going to spend on School Choice Transportation Assistance doesn't come from the Go Green Fund.

Benefits for the regions with strings attached is a serious pet peeve of mine. I consider it corrupt. Either tell the regions they need to do it or recommend it to them without cash to sweeten the deal and pervert their motivations for participation. That being said, if the President vetoes on the grounds of federalist concerns I will not vote to overrule - as his is a stance I sympathize with to some extent.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

I find Clarence's response to be persuasive, and am willing to go along with his plan and see what happens provided the incentive is dropped, the mandate reinstated, and the billion dollars we are going to spend on School Choice Transportation Assistance doesn't come from the Go Green Fund.

Benefits for the regions with strings attached is a serious pet peeve of mine. I consider it corrupt.

I don't see what corruption could come from this.  It merely encourages school districts to adopt the plan so we can experiment and compare the performance of the ones that are under the policy to the ones that are not.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »

It could promote a political culture in which local bureaucrats are tempted to do whatever will promise them more federal funding, perhaps to the detriment of staying true to their core responsibility in office of serving local communities as best they know how. If the desire here is to experiment and compare, why not begin with some sort of pilot program and then decide whether to proceed on a large scale based on the results?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »

It could promote a political culture in which local bureaucrats are tempted to do whatever will promise them more federal funding, perhaps to the detriment of staying true to their core responsibility in office of serving local communities as best they know how. If the desire here is to experiment and compare, why not begin with some sort of pilot program and then decide whether to proceed on a large scale based on the results?

I still don't see how this would harm the leaders' ability to serve their local communities.  If they do not believe it is the right policy and that more harm than good would come from law, even with the funds, then they can refuse to apply for them.  We could also, perhaps through another amendment, ensure that the funds are designated toward restructuring the schools themselves and not used in a way that benefits someone at the expense of the schools.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2012, 03:13:55 PM by Redalgo »

I still don't see how this would harm the leaders' ability to serve their local communities.  If they do not believe it is the right policy and that more harm than good would come from law, even with the funds, then they can refuse to apply for them.  We could also, perhaps through another amendment, ensure that the funds are designated toward restructuring the schools themselves and not used in a way that benefits someone at the expense of the schools.

Schools oftentimes don't receive as many local and regional resources as they feel they need, which creates an incentive for some administrators to accept sources of federal funding - even if the policies attached are considered bad. I'm willing to work with you on this if everyone is willing to agree that the funding ought to be appraised on a school-by-school basis and strictly limited to expenditures on completing the conversion necessitated under this policy. Otherwise I feel obliged to stand by my previous post.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »

I still don't see how this would harm the leaders' ability to serve their local communities.  If they do not believe it is the right policy and that more harm than good would come from law, even with the funds, then they can refuse to apply for them.  We could also, perhaps through another amendment, ensure that the funds are designated toward restructuring the schools themselves and not used in a way that benefits someone at the expense of the schools.

Schools oftentimes don't receive as many local and regional resources as they feel they need, which creates an incentive for some administrators to accept sources of federal funding - even if the policies attached are considered bad. I'm willing to work with you on this if everyone is willing to agree that the funding ought to be appraised on a school-by-school basis and strictly limited to expenditures on completing the conversion necessitated under this policy. Otherwise I feel obliged to stand by my previous post.

If the policy turns out to be bad, then we can cease continuation of the project or add a sunset provision to the bill.

Clarence, would you be open to appraising these communities on a school-by-school basis?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »

Clarence, I am concerned that the bill would primarily hurt intact neighborhoods in urban areas by having their local schools forced into open enrollment by the district. In effect, I am worried that this will have the same result as forced busing did to many rust belt cities: the middle class moved out.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies