SENATE BILL: Power to Parents Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:50:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Power to Parents Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Power to Parents Act (Failed)  (Read 6372 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: July 21, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »

Clarence, I am concerned that the bill would primarily hurt intact neighborhoods in urban areas by having their local schools forced into open enrollment by the district. In effect, I am worried that this will have the same result as forced busing did to many rust belt cities: the middle class moved out.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »

Aside from that, as an afterthought, what does the Senate think of re-purposing the bill to allow parents to have their children attend public schools of their choices provided that it is the parent - not school district(s) involved - who are left to be wholly responsible for transporting their child or children? This would circumvent the cost of taking buses out of their usual ways, would it not? Does anybody else have ideas to bounce off of the President now that he has become firmly embedded in the fabric that is this discussion?

Actually I would much prefer this to having the school help responsible for busing.

In Ohio, we have an open-enrollment law that allows schools to admit students from neighboring districts, if the school chooses to take part, and the funding for that student is transferred to the district the student attends. But the school provides no transportation and the parents are responsible for that.

This bill is designed to be restricted to a single district, which means many, probably most, districts in the country will be completely unaffected because they only have one high school. The idea is more similar to the system in Arizona where parents can choose which school in the district to send their kids to. The school my sister taught at there was rated the best in the district (a pretty poor, heavily minority district much like her school) in test score improvements one year, so the next year they had a huge surge in enrollment. In some ways it was a good thing to have since parents had the option of sending their children to the best public school in the area, but it also caused overcrowding issues because the school, despite having the power to reject students, would reject no one.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:08 AM »

Here's an amendment to make parents responsible for their child's transportation:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »

Ben's amendment has passed

TJ does your amendment need to be altered to reflect the passage of Ben's? It sort of renders the fifth clause he added irrelevant, does it? So my suggestion would be to put it in the text and then strike it through as well to indicate its elimination.

No it doesn't. Item 1 of the bill was not struck in my amendment so Item 5 must remain, otherwise there would be no point in the bill at all.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »

I'd like to ask TJ- you are attempting to eliminate the transportation assistance? That is the goal of your amendment?

Yes. I'm all for giving parents the power to choose schools, but if they are going to choose a school their child wouldn't otherwise the parents ought to have the responsibility to get their kids there. If they really want their kids to go there, they'll find a way.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 03:00:23 PM »

Aye
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:12:08 PM »

Nay...

To second everyone else, I wanted to support this but there just wasn't the will in the senate to try and make it work.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies