Does anyone else really hate this election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:57:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Does anyone else really hate this election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone else really hate this election?  (Read 7397 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: July 21, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »

I'm not really sure it is wise to make comparsions to the Obama of the 2008 election coverage and Obama now, the 2008 version never struck me as anything other than a particularly unconvincing persona. Trying to be the embodiment of various, rather incoherent notions of 'national redemption' he did not - and could not - ever come across as particularly political (except to those like most on the right for whom the notion of national redemption is anathema, except perhaps in the military sense, "Vietnam war syndrome" and all that). Unfortunately for Obama the particular business of holding power is not like that at all.

But other than that, I'm actually somewhat indifferent to this election which as you said really seems to be more a casting contest for who will get to play the president of the United States in a strange subtitled film rather than a election for that said position. However, at least the Republican primaries were high in entertainment value.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »

Your question reminds me of something that happened in undergraduate school, in a class called "European Intellectual History".  The professor was a great one (so, naturally, he didn't get tenure), but one day in class -- a class of about 35 students -- he said "Americans are anti-intellectual".  I quickly shot back, "That's because intellectuals are anti-American".  He stopped, stunned, then after standing there thinking about it for a minute, admitted I was right.

The fish I caught the other day was twenty foot long.

So you're calling me a liar?  OK, that's ... deep thinking for you.

It requires no depth from anyone to see through that story... Again, better trolls please.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »

I've noted that the people most likely to have those "Question Authority" stickers on their bumpers are also the least likely to do it.

They're the kids who sat up in front of the classes and when the professor entered, straightened themselves in their chairs and smiled:

"We're all in our places with bright shining faces!"
"Tell us what we need for the test and we'll forget about the rest!"

To put it mildly, I wasn't among their number.

The same little turds are the ones most likely to disbelieve that anyone else ever did whatever they were too afraid to dare.

Boring old right-wing attack memes are boring and old.

No doubt though had those 'little turds' really questioned authority they would have ended up with the exact same opinions as one WhyteRain, arbiter of intellectual discourse everywhere. His wisdom is truly sensational.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies