Does anyone else really hate this election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:11:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Does anyone else really hate this election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone else really hate this election?  (Read 7421 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: July 21, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »

I gotta say, too much doom and gloom here. 2008 was an extreme anomaly in this country and nobody should have expected it to become the new norm: An extremely competitive and landmark primary season, where the Democrats were fighting to nominate the first African American or female candidate, Sarah Palin breaking the glass ceiling for the GOP and being an extreme lightning rod, and ultimately the election of America's first president of color, all set under the backdrop of an epic and dire recession. No hollywood screen writer could have written it better.

2012 is more of a reversion to the norm- two candidates sniping and trying to smear one another, ultimately attempting to win over the 5-10% or so of voters who aren't in the bag already or are simply too disgusted to vote in the first place. And people wonder why almost half of us don't even bother to show up to the polls.

That being said, I am one of those voters already in the bag. Even though the campaign has unsettled me at times, I still have faith in Obama the man and see him as much more capable and deserving of the presidency, so I will do what I can do to help him out in the fall.

I just think most people have accepted the fact that elections are nothing more than high school popularity contests. The only difference is that this contest, for all its flaws, is incredibly important.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »

Obama and Romney:  This is what we get when the cultural elite, the self-assured "Masters of the Universe", are equal parts arrogant and ignorant.

I wish for the day when Americans will be little impressed by an Ivy League resume or law school-trained oratory, but most of the commenters here leave me little hope that will change before it's "too late".

Getting kind of personal aren't we?  Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do you have an anti-intellectual streak?  Just asking. I am darn proud of my degree my from the University of Chicago. I consider it the one of my great accomplishments in life. It was not easy. In fact, it was the most difficult thing I have ever done intellectually. The first year was hell - just hell. Granted, it is not "Ivy League," but whatever.

I'm guessing he does, but a lot of people do as well. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the intelligence, education or resources to attend an ivy league institution. This places the ivy leaguers themselves into an elite class of people that elicits jealousy and mistrust against them in many cases, which is stupid as hell. We should be lauding (the majority) of ivy league graduates as the best and the brightest, hard working and accomplished in their respective fields. Instead many have decided that they live in a fantasy world and we shouldn't pay any mind to them, since they apparently don't understand the rest of us. We forget that they have dedicated huge amounts of time and energy to studying very complex issues, and that knowledge is indispensable in our government. But of course that goes in one ear and out the other for a lot of us.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies