Does anyone else really hate this election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Does anyone else really hate this election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone else really hate this election?  (Read 7424 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
« edited: July 21, 2012, 02:38:56 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Al, are you sure you aren't being blinded by your own biases? I remember reading an old post of yours a few weeks ago during the 2008 election where you remarked that even the most objective political observers are susceptible to the demographic appeal of certain candidates. Both Obama and Romney are the worst possible candidates for your class as far as profile and rhetoric is concerned.

I'm still too invested in Obama's presidency to lack enthusiasm to return him to office this fall. While he's spectacularly failed on so many issues and spent his first two crucial years in office bumbling around, I still see him as our first truly progressive president since LBJ and his policies are worth fighting. Every once and a while in his speeches, I hear reverberations of 2008 and I feel galvanized to fight in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, a miracle is possible during his second term that will lead to a rapid economic recovery and that through this good will he will be able to accomplish an overhaul of our infrastructure or meager tax reform. That's worth it, I think. It's not inspiring but in comparison to the alternative, it sounds like a utopia.

I'd say there were elections with even less inspiring candidates: 1968, 1988 and 2000 are all great examples.

edit: the fact that I agree with everything you said on Obama but still profess allegiance to him says a lot, I think. If you lived here and had a bigger stake in this election, you might be more inclined to support him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies