Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 03:43:18 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: Judicial Term Length Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Judicial Term Length Amendment (Failed)  (Read 1646 times)
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 05:26:25 am »
Ignore

Can we impeach justices? It seems like that is all the power the Senate should have.

Indeed you can, though it's rather difficult to do. (I didn't get far when I tried to impeach Sam Spade from the court..) When we drafted the new constitution I'm pretty sure we flipped the requirements from majority senate/supermajority public vote to supermajority senate/majority public vote, so it's a little easier than it used to be, but it can be done even for a Justice if it's really necessary.

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 06:42:25 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 50:14 by Scott
6.    A Supreme Court Justice's term shall last one year or until the Justice decides to retire.  The President may re-appoint a Justice two years after the Justice's term has expired.

Sponsor Feedback: Unknown

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 09:56:28 am »
Ignore

Wouldn't the phrasing, "A Supreme Court Justice's term shall last one year or until the Justice decides to retire," basically translate into, "A Supreme Court Justice's term shall end whenever the Justice wants," in practice, or is this simply confusion on my part from ambiguous language?

Respectfully, I also do not see the point of having a lapse between re-appointments be so very long (two years). Personally, I think four months would suffice unless we intend to have each seat up to be filled at exactly the same time every cycle.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 10:01:42 am »
Ignore

Why not just add two new Justices?

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:17 am »
Ignore

6.    A Supreme Court Justice's term shall last one year or until the Justice decides to retire.  The President may re-appoint a Justice two years after the Justice's term has expired.

I'm going to call this one unfriendly because I don't think it would affect the politicization problem it was intended to solves at all.
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 11:25:10 am »
Ignore

I'm going to call this one unfriendly because I don't think it would affect the politicization problem it was intended to solves at all.

How long should it be, then?

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:23 am »
Ignore

I thought the point was to get rid of re-appointments? All this does is limit them to three terms.
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 11:34:01 am »
Ignore

I thought the point was to get rid of re-appointments? All this does is limit them to three terms.

Oh, I thought we were allowing re-appointments after a certain amount of time.

I'll just withdraw my amendment, then.

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 11:45:49 am »
Ignore

Here's a version that would eliminate re-appointments so that political considerations are not part of Supreme Court decisions:

Amendment to Article II the Third Constitution: Judicial Term Length

Section 1: The Supreme Court
1.    The judicial power of the Republic of Atlasia shall be vested in one Supreme Court.
2.    The Supreme Court shall consist of three Justices who shall all be registered voters, one of whom shall be the Chief Justice. Justices shall hold their office during good behavior.
3.    The Supreme Court shall be the sole body in the Forum with the authority to nullify or void federal laws. The Supreme Court shall only be able to nullify or void a federal law in the event that the federal law explicitly contradicts the Constitution.
4.    The Supreme Court shall have authority to nullify or void regional laws. The Supreme Court shall only be able to nullify or void a regional law in the event that the regional law explicitly contradicts the Constitution.
5.    The Supreme Court shall arbitrate in all disputes concerning federal elections.
6.    A Supreme Court Justice's term shall last 1 2 years or until the Justice decides to retire. The President may re-appoint a Justice after the 1 year term has expired. Justices may not serve consecutive terms.

Also, with structural amendments like this one, I believe it is best to have them take effect several months later so that there is no political incentive beyond support and dissent, so I'm going to propose the following amendment:

7.    If ratified this amendment will take effect January 1, 2013.
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »
Ignore

I should have mentioned this earlier, but if we prohibit re-appointments entirely, couldn't that potentially lead to a shortage in potential appointees if there are fewer people available to serve on the Court?

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 07:21:40 pm »
Ignore

I should have mentioned this earlier, but if we prohibit re-appointments entirely, couldn't that potentially lead to a shortage in potential appointees if there are fewer people available to serve on the Court?

No because they could be appointed again later under the amendment I offered, just not consecutively.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 11:14:42 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 50:15 by TJ in Cleve

1.    The judicial power of the Republic of Atlasia shall be vested in one Supreme Court.
2.    The Supreme Court shall consist of three Justices who shall all be registered voters, one of whom shall be the Chief Justice. Justices shall hold their office during good behavior.
3.    The Supreme Court shall be the sole body in the Forum with the authority to nullify or void federal laws. The Supreme Court shall only be able to nullify or void a federal law in the event that the federal law explicitly contradicts the Constitution.
4.    The Supreme Court shall have authority to nullify or void regional laws. The Supreme Court shall only be able to nullify or void a regional law in the event that the regional law explicitly contradicts the Constitution.
5.    The Supreme Court shall arbitrate in all disputes concerning federal elections.
6.    A Supreme Court Justice's term shall last 1 2 years or until the Justice decides to retire. The President may re-appoint a Justice after the 1 year term has expired. Justices may not serve consecutive terms.

Sponsor Feedback: Origination

Quote from: Amendment 50:16 by TJ in Cleve

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 03:53:55 pm »
Ignore

Yet another attempt by some of the right-wingers to politicize the court.  Couldn't you fellows have the decency to wait a bit before yet another of these transparent attempts?

One can only hope there are three Senators who respect the constitution, as there were last time round.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:55:48 pm by opebo »Logged

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 03:59:53 pm »
Ignore

Yet another attempt by some of the right-wingers to politicize the court.  Couldn't you fellows have the decency to wait a bit before yet another of these transparent attempts?

One can only hope there are three Senators who respect the constitution, as there were last time round.

Don't you mean four? It takes atleast four to ensure failure. And there were five no votes on the last one if memory serves me.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 04:06:27 pm »
Ignore

Don't you mean four? It takes atleast four to ensure failure. And there were five no votes on the last one if memory serves me.

No, a constitutional amendment requires a two-thirds margin of victory, which is 66%.  So seven, not six.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 04:09:46 pm »
Ignore

No, a constitutional amendment requires a two-thirds margin of victory, which is 66%.  So seven, not six.

If three people vote no, that leaves seven to potentially vote aye which is 70% in favor of passage. If four votes no that precludes passage because the best the amendment can get is 60%.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 04:13:08 pm »
Ignore

If three people vote no, that leaves seven to potentially vote aye which is 70% in favor of passage. If four votes no that precludes passage because the best the amendment can get is 60%.

Oh yes, you're quite correct. I apologize - it is 4 am here!  4 no votes to kill it.  7 required for passage.  Just checked, it was an encouraging 5 who voted to defend the constitution last time round.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:16:05 pm by opebo »Logged

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2012, 08:14:17 pm »
Ignore

To repeat my concern from earlier since nobody seemed to notice, I cannot support the amendment until the language in Section I, Subsection 6 is addressed. There is nothing yet there to specify a justice cannot serve for as long as he or she wants before resigning instead of honoring the two-year limit of their term.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2012, 08:09:41 am »
Ignore

I simply can't see myself supporting this amendment, or any other. I don't favor putting term limits for on our Supreme Court.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2012, 03:22:08 pm »
Ignore

Justice Antonin Scalia was giving an interview on FNS today and said in reference to the President's criticism of the Citizen's United case and the pressuring in the speech prior to the Health care ruling, after much pushing from Chris Wallace of course, "What can he do to me, I have lifetime tenure? The very reason we do is because the court sometimes has to deny the elected majority it's desires because they are unconstitutional and thus we are shielded from the whims of politics"

Slight paraphrasing in the quote of course because I don't have a transcript of it in front of me, but you get the idea.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2012, 09:53:52 am »
Ignore

The amendments have passed.

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 11:04:13 am »
Ignore

As Redalgo pointed out the wording of Item 6 needed to be changed to make it so that the term ends either after two years or retirement, not both.

Here's the newest amendment:

6.    A Supreme Court Justice's term shall last 2 years or until the Justice decides to retire, whichever happens first. Justices may not serve consecutive terms.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 11:28:00 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 50:18 by TJ in Cleve

6.    A Supreme Court Justice's term shall last 2 years or until the Justice decides to retire, whichever happens first. Justices may not serve consecutive terms.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 09:45:49 am »
Ignore

The amendment has passed.

What next?

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 12:44:13 pm »
Ignore

I am non-patiently waiting here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout