Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 10:44:03 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution (Passed)  (Read 650 times)
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:41:21 pm »
Ignore

A RESOLUTION

To create a Standing Committee for the tasks of overseeing the administration of justice within the judiciary system, reviewing statutes and legal framework of the Republic of Atlasia, investigating and hearing impeachments, among other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled.

SECTION 1. TITLE

This act may be cited as the ‘Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution.’

SECTION 2. DESCRIPTION

This resolution shall create the Senate Committee on the Judiciary as a special committee of the Senate tasked with the duties of overseeing the administration of justice in the nation’s legal system and have jurisdiction over-

• Federal courts and judges, and local courts in the Territories and possessions
  • Impeachment hearings
  • Constitutional amendments
  • Immigration policy
  • Criminal and civil law enforcement
  • National penitentiaries
  • Patents, the Patent and Trademark Office, copyrights, and trademarks
  • Protection of trade and commerce against unlawful restraints and monopolies
  • State and territorial boundary lines

SECTION 3. MEMBERSHIP

1.) The President of the Senate shall open nominations for committee membership at the start of each session, for a period of seventy-two hours.  The Senate shall then select three of the nominees to serve on the Committee.

2.) Once selected, the Committee members shall select the Chairman from amongst themselves. The Chairman shall open the thread and preside over all hearings and functions of the Committee.

3.) The Chairman may be replaced by the President of the Senate, if he has been absent longer than a week.  If the Chairman takes an announced leave of absence, the replacement shall only serve until the Senator's return.

4.) If a member of the committee resigns his position on the committee, or leaves the Senate, the full Senate shall select a replacement.

5.) Consideration for bills and hearings/proceedings may only occur in the committee for a maximum of seven days before being forwarded to the Senate.

Sponsor: Scott
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:24:21 am by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »
Ignore

Ah yea, not gonna say it a third time today. Tongue

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »
Ignore

Basically, this is part three of the Senate's 'committee experiment.'  The resolution basically has the same purposes as the previous ones: to promote interest in our nation's legal system and judicial affairs by debating relevant legislation in the committee firsthand.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 03:01:10 pm »
Ignore

Nothing I am reading here seems controversial. I'll gladly support this so long as there will be enough
Senators interested to fill the assigned seats, and no worries for us to contend with regarding one or
more members of this body having more than one committee assignment at a time.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:33 am »
Ignore

We may end up with Senators on more then one committee. I would rather have active Senators pulling double duty then to have the dead weight drag the committees down.

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:52:39 am »
Ignore

Ya, I agree completely. But are Senators allowed to do so? For some reason I was under the impression that we are not, which is the only reason I brought it up in the first place I guess.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:36 am »
Ignore

I don't think Senators are going to be allowed to chair multiple committees, but they will still be allowed as members on them.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:00:53 am »
Ignore

There are no regulations regarding limits on how many committees one can serve on, nor how many committee chairmanships one can hold, in current law or procedure. Though in practice, we will seek to avoid having a Senator hold multiple chairmanships.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:09:13 pm »
Ignore

Shall we move to UC?
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:45 am »
Ignore

It isn't necessary, no one has talked about the bill in the last 24 hours and the minimum debate time expired yesterday afternoon.

Senators this bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 09:41:41 am »
Ignore

Aye

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:55:28 am »
Ignore

Aye

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 10:02:23 am »
Ignore

Aye

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30:59 am »
Ignore

Aye.
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:11 am »
Ignore

Aye

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »
Ignore

Aye

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 11:02:46 am »
Ignore

I will give this one more day, since the National Security Committee will be occupying the membership thread for two mores days atleast, and I don't like it when bills pass by 1 vote and four people haven't done their jobs. Tongue

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:00 am »
Ignore

Final Vote on the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Creation Resolution:

Aye (6): AndrewPA, Ben, NC Yankee, Redalgo, Scott and TJ in Cleve
Nay (0):
Abstain (0):

Didn't (4): Clarence, sbane, Seatown and Wormyguy

With six ayes and no nays the bill has passed the Senate.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 01:21:51 pm »
Ignore

Didn't (4): Clarence, sbane, Seatown and Wormyguy

Sad
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States