Fast forward to Iowa 2016! PPP already polling. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:26:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  Fast forward to Iowa 2016! PPP already polling. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fast forward to Iowa 2016! PPP already polling.  (Read 12301 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« on: July 23, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »

The 2016 Republican Nominee will be certain right after 2012 is over. It's always whoever is next in line.

The Democratic Nominee is always the underdog. Just think, no one knew who Barack Obama was in 2004.
In 2008, Clinton was certain to win, then Barack came and snatched the nomination. In 2004, Dean was gonna take it, Kerry takes Iowa and the nomination. In 1992, Paul Tsongas was our nominee, until Bill Clinton became the "Comeback Kid".  Gary Hart was front runner in 1988, Mike Dukakis wins. 1976, Jimmy Carter comes from nowhere. I doubt Clinton or Biden runs.
My personal choice, is soon-to-be New Mexico Senator Martin Heinrich. Andrew Cuomo is in second and Martin O'Malley in third. Elizabeth Warren is way to far to the left to win. In the back of my mind, I kinda hope she loses in November so the media doesn't try to talk her up is a presidential contender.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:36 PM »

The 2016 Republican Nominee will be certain right after 2012 is over. It's always whoever is next in line.

And who is that supposed to be? No obvious heir is present and I could easily argue that Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee were more obvious heirs for this year. The current primary system isn't very old and we have too few datapoints to really say anything definative like that. Added to that the fact that quite a few GOP heavyweights look like they'll jump into the 2016 fight and I don't think this will hold true at all.
Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee were heir apparents for John mcCain after losing the primaries.
Whoever Romney picks as veep will probably win.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:59:55 PM »

I always like reminding people of this, cause a surprising number don't realize it. But based on both Wikipedia and Dave Leip's numbers, Hillary Clinton actually BEAT Barack Obama in the '08 Democratic primary POPULAR VOTE. DNC rules dictate that of course, delegates, and not the actual number of votes a candidate receives, is what determines the winner of the primary. But still, it's not insignificant to note that Obama got the Democratic nomination while receiving LESS votes than his opponent.

Oh, I know. I got so much flack at my arts high school for hating Obama--and yes, I honestly just loathe him. Hillary was the right choice for the simple reason that Obama was never ready to be president.

But hackishness aside, my point is: People were not impressed with me when I brought up the fact that she actually won more votes. They all like to toot their horns about how Gore should've won in '00, but none of them are willing to accept the fact that, technically speaking, more Americans wanted Hillary to be the nominee than Obama.

If only the superdelegates had seen it that way...
I understand what you are saying. Hillary won the big states. But the Obama strategy was to get a lead in the delegates so that Hillary could not. In 2008, Hillary would win a state and get delegates, but Obama would also win delegates so his lead would stick. So if Hillary won delegates, Obama did too, and that negated any pick up in delegates that she won.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »

What's with all the liberal hate for Andrew Cuomo? He's got the highest approval rating of any Governor in the country and he's our best shot at keeping the White House for more than 8 years.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »

It's because Republicans seem to like him too. That's an automatic disqualifier for many Democrats (see Hillary Clinton 2008).
Maybe because he's right-wing economically and anti-union. Just throwing out ideas.
Because he believes in fiscal responsibility and not free-spending programs? He doesn't bow to unions? We don't owe a debt to unions anymore. He is our best option, and he has what it takes to lead this country. Liberals, Progressives, and my fellow Democrats need to get in line and stop foregoing winning for someone who will doom us like Elizabeth Warren and Russ Feingold. I love them both, but they won't win.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies