Let's discuss Mormonism.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Let's discuss Mormonism.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: Let's discuss Mormonism.  (Read 29324 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »

I don't know if it has already been discussed in this thread, but what is Mormonism's stance on evolution, and science in general? 

There was a poll done some years ago, and Mormons along with Jehovah's Witnesses and evangelical Christians  had the lowest rates of belief in evolution among religious groups at around 25%.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »

I don't know if it has already been discussed in this thread, but what is Mormonism's stance on evolution, and science in general? 

There was a poll done some years ago, and Mormons along with Jehovah's Witnesses and evangelical Christians  had the lowest rates of belief in evolution among religious groups at around 25%.

We sort of believe in a guided evolution (intelligent design I guess you would call it). I personally believe in an Old Earth, with a very abstractly guided evolution.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #227 on: February 09, 2015, 03:19:57 AM »

So hey I'm back (in case you hadn't already seen) and I'm ready to discuss Mormonism some more. Come at me bros.
Panda Express

« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2015, 03:40:26 AM »

How accurate is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jF1EG8o-Q
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2015, 12:37:41 PM by Zioneer »

It's hit and miss. Some of the details are accurate, but a lot of it is portrayed in a misleading way.

One detail that I noticed was horribly inaccurate is that the video claims that Joseph Smith was the only one who saw the golden plates. That's not true, there were eleven others (two groups, known as the Three Witnesses and the Eight Witnesses respectively). And Joseph Smith's wife Emma.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2015, 11:15:16 PM »

It's hit and miss. Some of the details are accurate, but a lot of it is portrayed in a misleading way.

One detail that I noticed was horribly inaccurate is that the video claims that Joseph Smith was the only one who saw the golden plates. That's not true, there were eleven others (two groups, known as the Three Witnesses and the Eight Witnesses respectively). And Joseph Smith's wife Emma.

This.

In fairness, they did most of their homework on the matter (something most other adult cartoons would not bother with), even if it was the cheap-^& way out for the laughs.
Panda Express

« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2015, 08:46:55 PM »

Weren't all the "witnesses" of the golden plates family, friends or financial backers of Joesph Smith?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2015, 10:16:47 PM »

Weren't all the "witnesses" of the golden plates family, friends or financial backers of Joesph Smith?

And a bunch of the original followers of Muhammad were his friends or family. Your point?

Plus, even when about half had left the LDS Church, none of them denied seeing the plates, even when they were avowed enemies of Joseph Smith. Doesn't mean that they actually saw the plates, but the fact that they didn't say "yeah he made it all up" means something, no?
Panda Express

« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »

And a bunch of the original followers of Muhammad were his friends or family. Your point?

WTF? What does that have to do with anything? I'm not Muslim so what's your point? There is a lot of... issues surrounding Joesph Smith and how credible he is. I'm just asking questions and seeing how a Mormon responds. I'm not trying to be hostile or anything.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

According to the foreman in the printing office that produced the first Book of Mormon, he stated that Harris defined seeing the plates with his "spiritual eyes", not real eyes. Also, the typesetter for most of the book, said that he had asked Harris, "Martin, did you see those plates with your naked eyes?" he said that Harris "looked down for an instant, raised his eyes up, and said, 'No, I saw them with a spiritual eye."

There's actually a lot of accounts where Harris said he saw them with his spiritual eyes, not real eyes.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2015, 12:56:25 AM »

This is an apologist website, but here's FairLDS's view on the Martin Harris issue.

And my point on Muhammad is that having family members and friends be major players in a religion is not a disqualifying issue. Sorry if I come off as hostile, I'm really not trying to be so.

Also, while he wasn't a witness to the golden plates, Sidney Rigdon (who began as hostile to Joseph Smith before his conversion), claimed that shared some of Joseph Smith's visions. Again, that doesn't have anything to do with their truthfulness, just pointing out that not all of the witnesses to early Mormon spiritual experiences started out as friends or family.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: February 17, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »

Do you (Zioneer or anyone else) see the Mormons no longer conceder themselves to be Christians within recent years like the Unitarians did?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2015, 04:43:39 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

Do you (Zioneer or anyone else) see the Mormons no longer conceder themselves to be Christians within recent years like the Unitarians did?

Christianity at its basic core, is belief in the atonement and divinity of Christ.

I'd think the official name alludes to such a belief.

In which case, why would we try to do that? What would the purpose be?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #237 on: February 17, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »

Do you (Zioneer or anyone else) see the Mormons no longer consider themselves to be Christians within recent years like the Unitarians did?
Doubtful.  While they do believe in some additional texts as scripture, they still give a preeminent role to Christ in them.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #238 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »

No, not at all. We feel that our additional scriptures and expanded theology merely confirms the divinity of Christ. From Joseph Smith to Thomas S Monson (our current prophet) we've always believed that Christ is our Savior and that we are redeemed from our sins through him.

Even the "as man is, God once was, as God is man may become" theology is couched in the idea that a loving God will not deny us the capability to become as Christ. Not worshiped as he is, but with the power and foresight of Christ, if we are righteous enough.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies