Let's discuss Mormonism. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:06:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Let's discuss Mormonism. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Let's discuss Mormonism.  (Read 29593 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 09, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »

Skipping over everything...why? It's the most repulsive combination of Christian ignorance with American exceptionalism...aka the result of generations of America's worst, yet disturbingly prominent, traits. Sounds a lot like our politics if you ask me. Not worth a discussion, just a dismissal.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »

Skipping over everything...why? It's the most repulsive combination of Christian ignorance with American exceptionalism...aka the result of generations of America's worst, yet disturbingly prominent, traits. Sounds a lot like our politics if you ask me. Not worth a discussion, just a dismissal.
Seriously? You're going to just dismiss my entire faith? You're going to go "nope not worth talking about", and instead of just ignoring this thread, you've posted to that effect? You're going to needlessly offend for no reason whatsoever?

If you take offense, I apologize, no disrespect was meant towards you. Your religion on the other hand deserves no respect in my eyes and I won't pretend it's worth anything out of fear for people's deep attachments to their fairy tales. Most here will assure you it's not just your religion, I have little respect for most religions. Especially those with deeply Americanized dogma, such as Mormonism and most of our other versions of Christianity. Afleitch did a better job than I could at explaining more deeply. I enjoy religious discussions, but not when fact is mixed with myth. I respect the right to believe whatever you want for whatever reasons, but I don't hold back my honest opinions of the absurdities and atrocities of religion. I was a bit inflammatory, as I tend to be on this board. So excuse me, but I don't just throw my respect around to whoever and whatever demands it.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:35:40 PM »

That I also find to be perfectly fair. I actually find the disdain towards Mormonism with respect to other Christian denominations inappropriate and ignorant (though for reasons I'm sure you won't find agreeable). There is a double standard I'm sure many would be uncomfortable acknowledging. Such as the ridiculous notions of the parting of a sea or a massive arc containing the roots of modern nature being more acceptable than Missouri being the promised land and the birthplace of humanity or there being golden Jesus plates or whatever buried in New York.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »

All of which are perfectly acceptable things to believe, for reasons that do have something to do with their potential truth-value but are not controlled by it.

How so? They're either simply not true or so far-fetched it's ridiculous to assert as an absolute truth.

I've never understood the hostility and hatred that some on the left have for religion. I mean, I grew up in an atheist household, and I'd consider myself a liberal, but I thought we were about things like pluralism, tolerance, and multiculturalism.

Excuse me? I couldn't care less if people want to believe what I know for myself to be absolute nonsense, but I'm not gonna pretend I don't think that. Besides that, I'm not really a liberal and my views on religion have nothing to do with politics anyway. Though they are definitely exacerbated by the role of religion in politics. Religion nestles itself far too often into the role of untouchable protagonist, particularly in this country. As long as someone says their batshet crazy views are because of their religion, they're instantly beyond criticism? I understand there is a lot of nonsense to defend and that can be difficult, but get over yourselves. That's really what I hate. I'll talk all day long with a religious person if they're grounded and honest, but I have no patience for victim mentalities or fragile beliefs. If someone wants to discuss something, I'm gonna really discuss it, not pussyfoot around something "sacred" just because a bunch of people believe it.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »

All of which are perfectly acceptable things to believe, for reasons that do have something to do with their potential truth-value but are not controlled by it.
How so? They're either simply not true or so far-fetched it's ridiculous to assert as an absolute truth.
That doesn't necessarily mean one should do otherwise than believing them.

Of course not, but it's hardly something that can actually be argued is truth. Anyone can believe what they want, but I find it silly not to acknowledge that it's extremely unlikely. Pretending as though it's an undeniable truth that makes perfect sense just doesn't work for me. Not that it has to, of course. Just sayin'...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »

That doesn't necessarily mean one should do otherwise than believing them.
Of course not, but it's hardly something that can actually be argued is truth. Anyone can believe what they want, but I find it silly not to acknowledge that it's extremely unlikely. Pretending as though it's an undeniable truth that makes perfect sense just doesn't work for me. Not that it has to, of course. Just sayin'...
Oh, I entirely agree with you and I'm religious. I believe these things as truth but it's distinctly an act of faith and I'm smart enough to understand the implications of that as a basis for believing. I wish more religious people were because I think that if this distinction were better articulated and argued more intelligent people would feel comfortable being or identifying as religious, which I would hope would make religion a more intelligent space.

Well, here's to hoping that never happens Tongue
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »

Dude, it or something like it is going to retain its psychological and emotive power. Making it more intelligent is in everybody's best interests.

Well, objectively, yeah...but I'm selfishly holding out for religion to just fade away completely
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies