Let's discuss Mormonism. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:18:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Let's discuss Mormonism. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Let's discuss Mormonism.  (Read 29617 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 16, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »

So the branches would be:

Catholic
Orthodox
Protestant
Mormon?

Rather than Mormon, I'd make that fourth branch (if one restricts Christianity to just four branches) be Restorationist, which would include also Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and other similar groups that hold that they are restoring lost practices of the early church.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »

So they'll have to change the books then, because the books say all Christians are, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, or Protestant.

Well that's just not so.

Well, for a while there the Protestants denied that the Restorationists were Christian and the Catholic and the Orthodox saw nothing to distinguish Restorationists from Protestants.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »

Okay, thanks.

Also, why is it mainly men that do missionary work? (Also, is it a requirement, I know very little about Mormonism).

The age at which men may go on missionary work is lower than that for women.  So while for men it was something that could be done between high school and college, for women it generally needed to be done after college, if at all. (Just recently the the women's age has been lowered, but it will still be higher than men.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »

Being sent to Scotland is how my former Mormon friend met his boyfriend Smiley

Any reason he's no longer a friend? Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:35:47 AM »

How can drinking alcohol be considered reprehensible or even sinful? After all, Jesus drank wine and nowhere does the Bible condemn moderate consumption of alcohol.

Can't speak as to Mormon doctrine, but I get a fairly healthy dose of Adventist doctrine on the subject from a radio station I listen to. (I don't always agree with them, but their station often has the most tolerable stuff to listen to while I am in the car.) They point out that the Greek word for wine also encompassed grape juice, much as the word cider in the English language includes both soft cider and hard cider.  So they insist that Jesus drank unfermented grape juice.  Their arguments that he must have rather than he could have seem to be based more on arguments that he would not have had anything to do with destructive alcohol than a specific scriptural basis.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »

By the way, I'm going on my LDS mission in a little more than a month, so if you have any more questions about Mormonism, ask before then.

So where are you headed, or do you not know that yet?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »

By the way, I'm going on my LDS mission in a little more than a month, so if you have any more questions about Mormonism, ask before then.

So where are you headed, or do you not know that yet?

Kenya?

That might cause Bushie to consider becoming a Mormon by adding a letter. Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »

Do you (Zioneer or anyone else) see the Mormons no longer consider themselves to be Christians within recent years like the Unitarians did?
Doubtful.  While they do believe in some additional texts as scripture, they still give a preeminent role to Christ in them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies