arsonist and murderer and musician Varg Vikernes on Chrstianity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:45:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  arsonist and murderer and musician Varg Vikernes on Chrstianity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: arsonist and murderer and musician Varg Vikernes on Chrstianity  (Read 1995 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »

Christianity was created by some decadent and degenerated Romans as a tool of oppression, in the late Roman era, and it should be treated accordingly. It is like handcuffs to the mind and spirit and is nothing but destructive to mankind. In fact, I don't really see Christianity as a religion. It is more like a spiritual plague, a mass psychosis, and it should first and foremost be treated as a problem to be solved by the medical science. Christianity is a diagnosis. It's like Islam and the other Asian religions, a HIV/AIDS of the spirit and mind.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:09 AM »

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:32 AM »

Part of the reason I became a Christian again at 18 was to be anti-metalhead and especially anti-black metal. What a sick and disgusting subculture.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:11:13 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 03:14:17 AM by Emperor PiT »

I like the guy's music & think his message has a place in the discourse on religion (not the churchburning part, of course), but I just don't see any good coming out of this topic.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:45:59 AM »

Not an all accurate description of history.

Part of the reason I became a Christian again at 18 was to be anti-metalhead and especially anti-black metal. What a sick and disgusting subculture.

*facepalm* BRTD once again shows why his "Christianity" is shallow.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »

cool story bro
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »

To be fair though, not all metal is like black metal, and especially not like Varg Vikernes's version of metal. Heck, there's even Christian metal out there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:52:04 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2012, 01:54:39 AM by They Move on Tracks of Never-Ending Light »

To be fair though, not all metal is like black metal, and especially not like Varg Vikernes's version of metal. Heck, there's even Christian metal out there.

Yes, but I dislike the entire metal subculture. And I can't stand the music.

Dibble, I've said before that I believe God once made my mom clean the upstairs living room on a certain Saturday afternoon when I was 15. Had she not had done so on that day, I would've been able to watch TV instead of leaving because the vacuum was too loud, and wouldn't have gone downstairs to the computer and browsed a certain website, and found a certain board on it at a certain time, which included references to a "hardcore" board which I checked out of curiosity, which got me involved in "the scene". And then I wouldn't have become a Christian again and would've probably ended up an Einzige-esque atheist at the rate things were going. My entire life was radically changed because of my mom's cleaning schedule. I do believe God had a hand in that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:52 AM »

Are you taking the piss?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:35:06 AM »

Dibble, I've said before that I believe God once made my mom clean the upstairs living room on a certain Saturday afternoon when I was 15. Had she not had done so on that day, I would've been able to watch TV instead of leaving because the vacuum was too loud, and wouldn't have gone downstairs to the computer and browsed a certain website, and found a certain board on it at a certain time, which included references to a "hardcore" board which I checked out of curiosity, which got me involved in "the scene". And then I wouldn't have become a Christian again and would've probably ended up an Einzige-esque atheist at the rate things were going. My entire life was radically changed because of my mom's cleaning schedule. I do believe God had a hand in that.

And a lot of people believe Allah had a hand in bringing them to Islam. I don't particularly care what you believe so much as why you believe it, and the reasons you tend to give range from inane to just plain dumb.

To say that you became a Christian because you wanted to be anti-metalhead is to show you have a dumb reason for becoming a Christian. The only good reason to adopt a belief is because you think it's actually true.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »

I just want to point out that BRTD's argument is basically:  Mundane events culminated in my belief in God; because mundane events culminated in it, I take that as evidence of God's intervention.

The dumb part of that post isn't the metal stuff.  The dumb part of the post is that he presented an argument that five seconds of thought would have told him is nonsensically self-referential.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »

And a lot of people believe Allah had a hand in bringing them to Islam. I don't particularly care what you believe so much as why you believe it, and the reasons you tend to give range from inane to just plain dumb.

To say that you became a Christian because you wanted to be anti-metalhead is to show you have a dumb reason for becoming a Christian. The only good reason to adopt a belief is because you think it's actually true.

I should point out it's quite common for people to associate with religions for "shallow" reasons, for example take a look at all the people who claim to be Catholic just because they were raised that way that don't believe in Catholic teachings at all.

But I'm oversimplifying a bit in the above posts, remember I didn't become a Christian until I was in college. That just made me take a second look, and then realize I liked the people involved better, and then I started believing it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 03:22:33 AM »

A just God would have smote you for not doing your chores.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »

I should point out it's quite common for people to associate with religions for "shallow" reasons, for example take a look at all the people who claim to be Catholic just because they were raised that way that don't believe in Catholic teachings at all.

But I'm oversimplifying a bit in the above posts, remember I didn't become a Christian until I was in college. That just made me take a second look, and then realize I liked the people involved better, and then I started believing it.

Yes, none of your arguments have been good, but it's true that one was more ridiculous than usual.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »

Yes, but I dislike the entire metal subculture. And I can't stand the music.

You have to be kidding.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies