Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 11:59:58 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  SC: Questions raised about possible Haley nepotism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SC: Questions raised about possible Haley nepotism  (Read 939 times)
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:24:02 pm »

(The State - link)
Quote from: Gina Smith
Gov. Nikki Haley’s 14-year-old daughter is working in the State House gift shop, raising questions about nepotism that the governor’s office declines to answer.

The shop is run by the S.C. Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, a state agency whose director, Duane Parrish, is appointed by Haley.

The gift shop is located on the same floor as Haley's office, only a few steps away in fact, so I suspect the daughter simply was able to find out about an opening when it became available.

Still, its so unnecessarily awkward politically, that you have to wonder what Nikki was thinking in letting the daughter work there during the summer.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. — Khaled Hosseini
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »
Ignore

IMPEACH HER!!!!!

Yeah, no, this is a boring non-story.  Besides, Sanford set the bar for recent SC scandals, so Haley's going to have to try a lot harder than this.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:07:26 pm by Joe Republic »Logged

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:57:52 pm »
Ignore

Lol?

Does Dick not realize that its very frequent for 14 year olds to gain summer employment through personal connections?

I'm sure nepotism got the Haley's that $8 an hour.
useful idiot
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:28 am »
Ignore

Does Dick not realize that its very frequent for 14 year olds to gain summer employment through personal connections?

This was my first thought. In fact, I think "very frequent" is an understatement.

SC politics seems more nasty and frivolous than that of most states.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
India
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:04:16 am »
Ignore

Off with her head!

updaters remind me of scumbags.

Tomorrow, I will probably have Chick-fil-a for lunch and try to eat light when I go to the McDonald's on the turnpike for dinner.
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:46:14 pm »
Ignore

Even if she did get her daughter a job- Who gives a rip?!!!!!!
Politics must stop being so damn petty!

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:15:11 pm »
Ignore

I'm no fan of Governor Haley politically or personally, but this is a nonstory and it's awful that she has to deal with crap like this.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:51:56 pm »

I'm no fan of Governor Haley politically or personally, but this is a nonstory and it's awful that she has to deal with crap like this.

True, but under the circumstances, this was going to look bad practically no matter who was the governor.  About the only way it could possibly be good would be if instead of 14, the daughter was 4 and operating a lemonade stand inside the State House just  outside her parent's door, and even then some would find fault with it.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. — Khaled Hosseini
Talleyrand
TexasDemocrat
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:45:37 am »
Ignore

I actually burst out laughing when I read this. And I'm a person who's not a Nikki Haley fan.

If this is what South Carolina politics is like normally, it's a joke.

WhyteRain
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

P

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:50 am »
Ignore

The responses here from Democrats give me hope, but I still expect this to get more MSM play than did the arrest of Howard Dean's teenaged son for burglary in 2003 when Dean was a (the?) leading candidate for the 2004 Democratic nomination.
Talleyrand
TexasDemocrat
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:22:19 am »
Ignore

The responses here from Democrats give me hope, but I still expect this to get more MSM play than did the arrest of Howard Dean's teenaged son for burglary in 2003 when Dean was a (the?) leading candidate for the 2004 Democratic nomination.

Obviously, it will. The media these days is a lot more based on the 24/7 news cycle, so yes. If Dean's son had been arrested this year, it would be all over the news. Comparing this to something that happened in 2003 makes your accusation quite ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:25:04 am by TexasDemocrat »Logged

WhyteRain
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 08:24:46 am »
Ignore

Obviously, it will. The media these days is a lot more based on the 24/7 news cycle, so yes. If Dean's son had been arrested this year, it would be all over the news. Comparing this to something that happened in 2003 makes your accusation quite ridiculous.

The "24/7 news cycle" began in 1979 with the Iranian hostage crisis.  Nothing's happened in the last 9 years to it.
Talleyrand
TexasDemocrat
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 12:18:56 pm »
Ignore

The "24/7 news cycle" began in 1979 with the Iranian hostage crisis.  Nothing's happened in the last 9 years to it.

No, there has. With the more openly partisan press and vast improvements in the internet, it's become a lot worse. Are you seriously suggesting this would have been a story in 1979?

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 02:23:09 pm »
Ignore

No, there has. With the more openly partisan press and vast improvements in the internet, it's become a lot worse. Are you seriously suggesting this would have been a story in 1979?

In terms of communications, 2003 was a different world. There was no Twitter in 2003. The first blackberry was released in 2003, and almost nobody had touchscreen smartphones except for hardcore tech geeks, and even then most of the ones available were very expensive, and offered only small hard drives and what would today be considered very crude graphics.  Social media was just starting to get off the ground, and Facebook had only a few thousand users at Harvard, Stanford, and a few other schools. Youtube didn't exist yet, nor did any of the dozens similar websites. Google's news aggregator was still early in its beta test, and newspapers and magazines were only just beginning to appreciate the importance of having an online edition.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout