Which failed presidential candidate is the preceeding poster most like? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:48:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which failed presidential candidate is the preceeding poster most like? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which failed presidential candidate is the preceeding poster most like?  (Read 7755 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 27, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »

I'm gonna do you a solid and say who you want said, Walter Mondale.

You must have quite a low opinion of George McGovern. Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »

Hmmmm.... I don't know much about his ideology. I would guess moderate to libertarian-ish Republican. Goldwater is overused for Conservatives, and the Republicans have a much lower amount of failed candidates than the Democrats. I'm just gonna say... Bob Dole?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »

Most people would take that as an insult.

**SKIP**
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:41:20 PM »

Goldwater would be too obvious and too redundant. Ron Paul the same. I'm trying to think of something unique yet fitting. I guess if we're talking primary candidates then Richard Russell or Robert Taft might be worthy of mention. I'm gonna be random and just say John W. Davis of West Virginia.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:53:15 PM »

'Kay. Someone mentioned Scoop Jackson a while back and I guess that fits. Liberal domestic policy, hardline foreign policy. However, he never made it out of the primaries. Once you get into the general election, it's harder to find guys to fit you. But the one that comes up, to me at least, is your pal HHH. Half and half on foreign policy, but a hawk on Vietnam until polling proved him wrong, and of course a nice happy liberal on domestic.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »

Barry Goldwater is obvious. Too obvious. Obvious to leave me searching for an alternative. What springs to mind is Charles Evan Hughes. Hawkish on World War I before it was popular, also a liberal (though that likely meant something different, so it may be safe to assume he supported de fact laissez faire). It's really hard to find a good example. Maybe Dole? Nah.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »

GoldwaterRepublican: Goldwater of course. Other possibilities could be Charles Evan Hughes (I believe I mentioned him), Richard Nixon in 1960, John W. Davis, Alton B. Paker, and Samuel J. Tilden.

Clinton1996: You're a New Democrat, right? Not sure where to place you. I'm'a go with Mike Dukakis, Al Gore, and Al Smith.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »

Thomas Jefferson (1796), DeWitt Clinton (1812), Martin Van Buren (1840, 1848), John Park Hale (1852), George McClellan (1864), Grover Cleveland (1888), Alton B. Parker (1904), Barry Goldwater (1964), and of course George McGovern (1972). Not sure which one hits the nail on the head, so I went with all of 'em.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »

George Romney (1968)? possibly? If not that then Nixon in 1960...

Likely not like George Romney, who governed largely as a liberal and probably wouldn't change that much for the campaign (better than Nelson Rockefeller, though).

As for you, you seem to be a pretty standard conservative, so I'll go with Richard Nixon (1960) and Robert S. Dole (1996).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies