Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 10:40:00 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  US to station forces in Poland for first time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: US to station forces in Poland for first time  (Read 890 times)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:09:29 pm »
Ignore

The Pentagon said Wednesday it plans to send a US air force detachment to Poland to support fighter jets and transport planes, marking the first time that US soldiers have been stationed there.
The announcement was made at the end of talks between US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and his Polish counterpart Tomasz Siemoniak.
The detachment “will arrive this fall to support quarterly F-16 and C-130 deployments beginning in 2013 and will be the first US forces stationed on Polish soil,” Pentagon spokesman George Little said in a statement.

<snip>

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:56:30 pm »
Ignore

The Russians are going to love this almost as much as Romney will.  One reason Mitt is stopping in Poland on his European Vacation is so as to complain that Obama is weak on the Russians.  Of course a cynical mind might think that at the very least the timing of announcing this, if not the decision itself, was made so as to cut off Romney's argument vis-a-vis Russia.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:28:27 am by True Federalist »Logged

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:54:31 pm »
Ignore

The Russians mess their drawers when a Navy vessel enters the Black Sea... this will not be taken well

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:26:54 am »
Ignore

The Russians mess their drawers when a Navy vessel enters the Black Sea... this will not be taken well

AkSaber
YaBB God
Seychelles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:45:56 am »
Ignore

Aye cirumba... when will this stop?
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:22 am »
Ignore

And Obama signed a Senate bill increasing the amount of US funding to Israel's army.

Smart, Mr. President. Very smart.

Illegally selling arms to North Korea, providing most of the money to anti-Morales rebels in Bolivia, and using the remainder as hush money for his three ex-mistrisses. 
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:07:09 am »
Ignore

And Obama signed a Senate bill increasing the amount of US funding to Israel's army.

Ah yes, the economy is terrible and we're spending money on useless sh-t like this.  A very conservative thing to do, indeed.

Free Bradley Manning
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:19:36 am »
Ignore

Ah yes, the economy is terrible and we're spending money on useless sh-t like this.  A very conservative thing to do, indeed.

Obama's focusing on his campaign -- this is what will get people voting for him, FP.

Illegally selling arms to North Korea, providing most of the money to anti-Morales rebels in Bolivia, and using the remainder as hush money for his three ex-mistrisses. 
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:23 am »
Ignore

Too bad.  I think it is obvious now that the Russian state will be an adversary (hopefully a friendly-ish one) rather than an ally. They have no problems thwarting western policy in Libya, Syria, Iran etc..
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:55 pm »
Ignore

...I think it is obvious now that the Russian state will be an adversary (hopefully a friendly-ish one) rather than an ally. They have no problems thwarting western policy in Libya, Syria, Iran etc..

Well that's a good thing anyway.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:41:16 pm »
Ignore

The States' aggressive posture and projection of influence in Eastern Europe is going to cause
easily avoidable tensions with Russia, whose accustomed sphere of regional influence we are
now settling into. That's not to say Russia should have troops in Poland of course, but can you
imagine how much Americans would wig out if Russia put boots on the ground, began to base aircraft, and had plans to eventually set up ABM sites in Canada and/or Mexico? Okay - I know
that wouldn't be exactly equivalent, of course - but you get the gist of what I mean here. Ya?

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 12:19:09 am »
Ignore

reading War & Peace right now, so involved in the personification of the life of the Society, vs. Napoleon who I would have supported, if the question makes sense... makes for a double nostalgia: Nostalgia for the time, no matter how "degenerated" it may have been, that we had an example of what came After History; and a nostalgia for the Natasha Rostovs and Pierre Bezhukovs and Constantine Levins and Alyosha and all that... both Russias are lost.

in a mirror, dimly lit
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 06:39:34 am »
Ignore

That's not to say Russia should have troops in Poland of course, but can you
imagine how much Americans would wig out if Russia put boots on the ground, began to base aircraft, and had plans to eventually set up ABM sites in Canada and/or Mexico? Okay - I know
that wouldn't be exactly equivalent, of course - but you get the gist of what I mean here. Ya?

That's unlikely ever to happen. Also an ABM site is no threat, while the US could comfortably deal with Russian fighters.

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 12:58:07 pm »
Ignore

That's unlikely ever to happen. Also an ABM site is no threat, while the US could comfortably deal with Russian fighters.

Ya but, respectfully, that is aside from the point, which was to invoke the golden rule.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »
Ignore

I wouldn't be too surprised if this ultimately symbolic gesture is actually being done with the tacit acceptance of Russia- remember Obama and Medvedev's "secret" remarks?

Then again, though, I've got no idea what Putin would get out of this, so maybe not.

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 05:40:43 pm »
Ignore

I wouldn't be too surprised if this ultimately symbolic gesture is actually being done with the tacit acceptance of Russia- remember Obama and Medvedev's "secret" remarks?

Then again, though, I've got no idea what Putin would get out of this, so maybe not.

Effective campaign rhetoric....
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 06:47:10 pm »
Ignore

Good to see both political parties are vindicating the Iron Curtain. Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: