Mitt Romney flies to UK, immediately starts insulting the country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:29:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney flies to UK, immediately starts insulting the country
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Mitt Romney flies to UK, immediately starts insulting the country  (Read 20553 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »

lol, this London trip is such a disaster it could be turned into a Monty Python skit.  After Romney's cookiegate flap in PA, I eagerly await his comments about British food.  I suppose this should not be too surprising from a candidate who was unprepared for the Bain/tax attacks, whose campaign gave contradictory responses as to whether the mandate was a tax or a penalty and who said that he was "not concerned about the very poor." 

Foreign policy does not matter much in this election.  But insofar as it does, Romney is failing.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »

I've actually been thinking that the only way for Romney to rectify his England faux pas in the eyes of Americans would be to come back strong against the spin of the Brits. It won't win him any points, but it could neutralize the negatives of what has so far been a disappointing trip.

If he comes back home, defends his remarks, and calls out the way he was treated, Americans might just appreciate Romney for his "straight talk." We'll see.

No, he needs to ignore this and move on. As has been said it won't affect the election. Him making a big deal out of it just might.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »

I agree Senator Shane. Who is actually going to base their vote on how Romney answered questions at the Olympics in Britain? This is nothing but fire for the far left.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2012, 11:28:16 PM »

I agree Senator Shane. Who is actually going to base their vote on how Romney answered questions at the Olympics in Britain? This is nothing but fire for the far left.

Um, no. This is a comedy gold mine for Saturday late-night TV and, while it may not sway votes, it's going to make Romney look even more ridiculous, contrived, and idiotic...as if that were possible...
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2012, 12:01:08 AM »

Um, no. This is a comedy gold mine for Saturday late-night TV and, while it may not sway votes, it's going to make Romney look even more ridiculous, contrived, and idiotic...as if that were possible...

Right like I said fuel fire for the far left.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2012, 12:01:41 AM »

Agree with Mondale84 on this one. Romney has had a millionthousand small gaffes that "won't sway voters." Except when you have a millionthousand of them, they actually do start to add up.

Unless, of course, Romney makes himself look like an unapologetic truth-teller.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2012, 12:02:55 AM »

Right like I said fuel fire for the far left.

Late-Night isn't just for the far left, unless you consider ~30% of the country FAR left.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2012, 12:07:08 AM »

Agree with Mondale84 on this one. Romney has had a millionthousand small gaffes that "won't sway voters." Except when you have a millionthousand of them, they actually do start to add up.

An unapologetic truth-teller would follow his father's example and release twelve years worth of tax records.  So while Romney may avoid taking damage from these microgaffes, he won't be able to make lemonade out of these lemons.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2012, 12:12:48 AM »

An unapologetic truth-teller would follow his father's example and release twelve years worth of tax records.  So while Romney may avoid taking damage from these microgaffes, he won't be able to make lemonade out of these lemons.

At least 30% of this country is far left. As far as his tax records what does anyone care? Are you suggesting without basis for your claim that he cheated on his taxes? Anyone can say that about anyone. I can demand my neighbor release his tax records so I know he's paying his fair share for the lawn service. Yes I know my neighbor isn't running for president but what's the point of releasing your tax records when you're a wealthy Republican? I mean really, the media is just going to smother you with attacks of being so wealthy that you're out of touch with the average voter. It's been done since the 30's. Do you really want to know what Romney paid in the last 12 years or do you just want to make a political point? I don't think his father would be happy either to know that the left in this country is using the Romney family to divide this great nation. As for making lemonade out of lemons, do what you want but if the left had their way, your lemonade stand would be confiscated by police for not filing the proper tax forms.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2012, 12:31:13 AM »

The Obama campaign is probably dying laughing that the Romney campaign decides to insult a mayor of a foreign city on its Olympics opening day.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2012, 12:35:23 AM »

The Obama campaign is probably dying laughing that the Romney campaign decides to insult a mayor of a foreign city on its Olympics opening day.

He must think he's won the election because Romney insulted a foreign mayor. After all this is a world election. How many electoral votes is Britain worth again? Oh that's right I'm no fun. Am I banned from your talking points.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2012, 12:55:21 AM »

At least 30% of this country is far left. As far as his tax records what does anyone care? Are you suggesting without basis for your claim that he cheated on his taxes? Anyone can say that about anyone. I can demand my neighbor release his tax records so I know he's paying his fair share for the lawn service. Yes I know my neighbor isn't running for president but what's the point of releasing your tax records when you're a wealthy Republican? I mean really, the media is just going to smother you with attacks of being so wealthy that you're out of touch with the average voter. It's been done since the 30's. Do you really want to know what Romney paid in the last 12 years or do you just want to make a political point? I don't think his father would be happy either to know that the left in this country is using the Romney family to divide this great nation. As for making lemonade out of lemons, do what you want but if the left had their way, your lemonade stand would be confiscated by police for not filing the proper tax forms.

Where did I say he cheated?  There probably are a few minor things that are potentially embarrassing, but I would be surprised if he cheated on his taxes

Besides, you need to calm down and stop embarrassing yourself by making up strawman arguments and putting them in other people's mouths.  If you'd been around more than a few days you'd realize I'm no Obama supporter.  I'm an independent who is disappointed in both parties, tho the Republicans have been doing their best this campaign season to be more disappointing, which is why my comments of late have been more anti-Republican than anti-Democrat of late.  They've been giving me more material to work with, especially this week.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2012, 01:05:29 AM »

Where did I say he cheated?  There probably are a few minor things that are potentially embarrassing, but I would be surprised if he cheated on his taxes

Besides, you need to calm down and stop embarrassing yourself by making up strawman arguments and putting them in other people's mouths.  If you'd been around more than a few days you'd realize I'm no Obama supporter.  I'm an independent who is disappointed in both parties, tho the Republicans have been doing their best this campaign season to be more disappointing, which is why my comments of late have been more anti-Republican than anti-Democrat of late.  They've been giving me more material to work with, especially this week.

You never did say he cheated. So what's the point of pressuring Romney for his tax records? Simpley for the sake of tradition? What are you getting at by forcing his tax records? I'm not putting any arguments in anyone's mouth but am wondering why there is an obsession with Romney's tax returns. It doesn't matter to me who you support.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »

Can't say I didn't warn you. Huntsman 2012 for life.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2012, 01:12:59 AM »

Something about Hunstman just screams "Whoville" though.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »

Sigh.  At this point Romney probably won't gain (or lose) anything by releasing additional tax-records.  He probably could have avoid all this by releasing a few extra years back in 2011 before they predictably became an issue, but its too late now.

Romney's central problem on both the tax return issue and with Bain is that he comes across as fearful and defensive on these trivial points.  He acts as if he is ashamed of the money he has made and how he made it.

Mainly that when you ask most people about Huntsman they say "Who?"
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »

True. And he always reminds me of this guy, in looks and mannerisms.

http://www.eurotv.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/How-the-Grinch-Stole-Christmas.jpg
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »

Sigh.  At this point Romney probably won't gain (or lose) anything by releasing additional tax-records.  He probably could have avoid all this by releasing a few extra years back in 2011 before they predictably became an issue, but its too late now.

Romney's central problem on both the tax return issue and with Bain is that he comes across as fearful and defensive on these trivial points.  He acts as if he is ashamed of the money he has made and how he made it.

I don't quite see it that way but I'll agree to disagree. I don't know a single voter who will change their vote because Romney didn't release more tax returns.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »

I don't quite see it that way but I'll agree to disagree. I don't know a single voter who will change their vote because Romney didn't release more tax returns.

Don't sweat it Derek.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2012, 01:55:14 AM »

Just in the name of disclosure, he should. But I'm not voting for him either way, even if his tax returns are magical.
Darius_Addicus_Gaius
Rookie
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2012, 02:04:42 AM »

Don't sweat it Derek.

Huh?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2012, 08:45:14 AM »

I agree no one's going to give a damn about Romney's tax returns.  This election is about the U.S. economy.

Besides, Obama is hiding a lot more records than Romney.  Romney has already released a year of his tax returns.  He should say that he'll release another when Obama releases a year of his education records.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »

I agree no one's going to give a damn about Romney's tax returns.  This election is about the U.S. economy.

Besides, Obama is hiding a lot more records than Romney.  Romney has already released a year of his tax returns.  He should say that he'll release another when Obama releases a year of his education records.

Obama is hiding more because he hasn't released his education records? It comes off as really desperate that those on the right feel that Obama needs to prove that he's an intelligent individual.
Is there a precedent for doing that? How many past presidents/candidates have released their grades when running?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »

Obama is hiding more because he hasn't released his education records? It comes off as really desperate that those on the right feel that Obama needs to prove that he's an intelligent individual.
Is there a precedent for doing that? How many past presidents/candidates have released their grades when running?
Really, who gives a $h!t if Obama made an A or a C in history class 30 years ago. He's not running as a constitutional lawyer trying to fix an economy which his policies nearly destroyed. He's running as President trying to fix an economy against the policies that the Rominee is advocating nearly destroyed.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »

It is, as usual, subtle racism (that he was possibly an 'unqualified minority' who got in through affirmative action and has something to hide). Still, he graduated Harvard Law magna cum laude so...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies