Mitt Romney flies to UK, immediately starts insulting the country (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:46:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney flies to UK, immediately starts insulting the country (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney flies to UK, immediately starts insulting the country  (Read 20604 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: July 26, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »

Um, isn't Britain a major coal/oil/steel producer (granted, much less than it was)?
Major oil producer, but as a coal and steel producer it's mostly a middle size producer today.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2012, 04:57:14 AM by Mr. Morden »

I'm surprised, I did think he would be able smurf a visit to Europe this bad, while most Europeans don't like Republicans, on paper and how he has been covered in the European media, he come across rather faceless and inoffensive. He really had to go out of his way, to fail this badly, the only saving grace is that he going to visit non-English speaking countries now, and he can hope that as such American media ignore whatever he say there.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »

After Romney's cookiegate flap in PA, I eagerly await his comments about British food. 

Aren't Brits notorious for their terrible food?

What's your point? American have a reputation for being fat, I wouldn't expect the American government or public react well to foreign visiting politician going out of the way to mention it.

As for the how terrible English cuisine are or aren't , it's a as much a truth as the American reputation for being fat. As most Americans don't weight 300 pound, in the same way English cuisine aren't inedible or especially terrible (some dishes excepted). Of course Americans are fatter on average than most other countries, inthe same way much of the traditional English cuisine was destroyed when UK turned into a industrial society and people needed mass produced food which could be made fast (in short food with lot of fats, grease and oils), while they ones who could afford more expensive food ate French food because of its higher prestige. This also happen elsewhere, but it hit England harder, because the industrialisation started earlier there and was most extreme there, so when the rediscovery of traditional cuisine began, they had simply forgotten more of it and the good cuisine they did have, had fancy French names and as such wasn't seen as English.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »

After Romney's cookiegate flap in PA, I eagerly await his comments about British food. 

Aren't Brits notorious for their terrible food?

What's your point? American have a reputation for being fat, I wouldn't expect the American government or public react well to foreign visiting politician going out of the way to mention it.

As for the how terrible English cuisine are or aren't , it's a as much a truth as the American reputation for being fat. As most Americans don't weight 300 pound, in the same way English cuisine aren't inedible or especially terrible (some dishes excepted). Of course Americans are fatter on average than most other countries, inthe same way much of the traditional English cuisine was destroyed when UK turned into a industrial society and people needed mass produced food which could be made fast (in short food with lot of fats, grease and oils), while they ones who could afford more expensive food ate French food because of its higher prestige. This also happen elsewhere, but it hit England harder, because the industrialisation started earlier there and was most extreme there, so when the rediscovery of traditional cuisine began, they had simply forgotten more of it and the good cuisine they did have, had fancy French names and as such wasn't seen as English.

Wow. Struck a nerve?

Seeing as I'm non-English not really, I just hate ignorance and political hackery. So I tried to enlighten you in hope of lessering both traits in your personality.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies