Which movement is more racist? (Israel-related)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which movement is more racist? (Israel-related)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Racist movements?
Zionism

Anti-Zionism

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Which movement is more racist? (Israel-related)  (Read 2653 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2012, 03:44:53 PM »

a) it's not in your signature, but anti-Zionism is a much more racist movement than Zionism, since you're literally saying Israelis have no right to exist.

Sorry if this is the wrong board.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2012, 04:47:47 PM by Free Palestine »

Zionism.  I see a lot more Zionists who call Arabs savages and pretend like they have a right to kick Arabs off their land and build settlements, than I see Anti-Zionists who scream about the "ZOG" and crap like that.

Also, Zionism is based entirely on race.  Anti-Zionism is based on anti-nationalism.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »

Zionism basically says that it is okay to push a bunch of people out of their country because your people lived there about 2000 years ago. That's pretty racist in my book.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »

Zionism says 'we, as a people, would like to live here. We'll buy it if you're selling'. Anti-Zionism says 'we should drive all Israelis out of Israel.' One of these is harmless. The other is attempted genocide. Fortunately, Zionism has pretty much won, but some people instinctively root for an underdog, which anti-Zionism is nowadays (thankfully).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »

Zionism says 'we, as a people, would like to live here. We'll buy it if you're selling'. Anti-Zionism says 'we should drive all Israelis out of Israel.' One of these is harmless. The other is attempted genocide. Fortunately, Zionism has pretty much won, but some people instinctively root for an underdog, which anti-Zionism is nowadays (thankfully).
But the people of Palestine decided that they did not want to sell...

In theory, Zionism is no better than White Supremacist’s views. But in practice, the anti Zionist (or the Arab ones at least) have proven themselves to be just as destructive and violent. I sometimes wish that the Israelis would go to Europe and the Palestinians to Jordan and that the whole of Israel/Palestine, from Gaza to Golan (with the exception of Jerusalem) just sank under the sea and became a bay for Jordan. A lot of problems would be solved in that case…
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »

I oppose Zionism, but I would not support driving Israelis out of their homes.  Nor would most anti-Zionists.  Though Palestinian refugees should be allowed to return, and something should be resolved about how there are people living on their (stolen) land.  I'm unsure about what should be done about the settlements.

And to chalk up opposition to Zionism to "instinctive rooting for an underdog" is stupid.  You're basically doing the arrogant "hurr hurr everyone who disagrees with me is just a dumb little teenager" thing.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »

I oppose Zionism, but I would not support driving Israelis out of their homes.  Nor would most anti-Zionists.  Though Palestinian refugees should be allowed to return, and something should be resolved about how there are people living on their (stolen) land.  I'm unsure about what should be done about the settlements.

And to chalk up opposition to Zionism to "instinctive rooting for an underdog" is stupid.  You're basically doing the arrogant "hurr hurr everyone who disagrees with me is just a dumb little teenager" thing.

I'm 14 and totally willing to admit I am the 'little teenager' in this argument -- it's the truth.

And while you're probably right that many (not sure about most) American anti-Zionists don't support driving Israelis out of their homes, that's pretty much the cause celebre of anti-Zionism in the actual Middle East. That's what Hamas and Hezbollah are trying to do (not very well, but still), and that was originally Fatah's goal, though they've figured out it's impossible. The Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood hasn't been actively fighting Israel (they know it's pointless) but I recall they've advocated this too. (Fun fact: when Fatah was formed in 1964, their party charter recognized Gaza as Egyptian and the West Bank as Jordanian, saying Palestine consisted solely of the territories captured by Israel after 1949). Even today, Fatah still wants a Palestine with no Jews in it. That is racism. Meanwhile 20% of Israel's citizens are Muslims.

And the reason I doubt the 'most', even in the US, is that lots of anti-Zionism is rooted in anti-Semitism. I'm willing to believe yours isn't (you don't seem to be that sort of anti-Zionist), but you can't dispute that's where a lot of it comes from.

'Stolen land' has always been a pretty stupid argument, because ultimately all land is stolen. We should give the Americas back to the Natives, Kaliningrad and Silesia back to Germany and Nablus back to the Samaritans. Demographics shift over time. If you really support getting rid of stolen land everywhere, then we should move the human race back to Ethiopia and do all those migrations right this time. That doesn't make stealing land moral, but when somebody immigrates (like Palestinians did after 1949 and 1967) the stuff they leave behind becomes government property. All countries do that. The government in Israel is elected, so it does whatever the voters want. Very few settlements were stolen from Palestinians from right under their feet. (Yes, this happened. But rarely).

Saying you're not sure about the settlements because really the Palestinians should get that land is like saying you're not sure about Tampa because really we should give it to the Seminoles. The act of stealing land is bad. Great-grandchildren should not be punished for it.

The problem with returning Palestinian refugees is of course that many support the end of the Israeli government, which is obviously something the government itself will strive to avoid. Most of the 'returning' refugees have never been to Israel. Ultimately, the 'fair' result (and what will happen eventually, I think) is that the West Bank will be partitioned, most of it going to a Palestinian state which will be able to set its own immigration policy but a large chunk going to Israel. I think I've posted my plan for the exact borders before.

And of course I never intended to come as arrogant.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »

stop agreeing with me, you're making me reconsider my position.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:05:24 AM »

Saying you're not sure about the settlements because really the Palestinians should get that land is like saying you're not sure about Tampa because really we should give it to the Seminoles. The act of stealing land is bad. Great-grandchildren should not be punished for it.

Pretty sure there are people alive who remember 1967. Not so sure on 16th century Tocobaga.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »

Pretty sure there are people alive who remember 1967. Not so sure on 16th century Tocobaga.

That was more about '49 (which is also still remembered) than '67; in the latter case the Palestinians are still an ethnic majority in most of the West Bank. And the Seminoles were a majority in South Florida until well into the 19th century, as I recall.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 08:01:09 AM »

Both movements have racists and non-racists.
/moderate hero
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »

That was more about '49 (which is also still remembered) than '67; in the latter case the Palestinians are still an ethnic majority in most of the West Bank. And the Seminoles were a majority in South Florida until well into the 19th century, as I recall.

Yet only small patches of the West Bank are under Palestinian civilian control.

I find it amusing how Jews who have never stepped foot in Israel have a right of "return," yet Palestinians refugees and their children don't.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »

This question makes little sense to me because I do not consider the Jewish ethnic nation a race.

I do not know which movement has as a proportion of its adherents the most bigots in terms of quantity or HP'ness, if that is what we are really discussing here. I am inclined to say that Zionism is worst in regards to abstract theory but that Anti-Zionism may be worse in practice on account of it now being a politically-correct refuge for many anti-Semites. Both of these two camps in question are unattractive to me but Zionism is admittedly more so because I often tend to reflexively associate it with common rationalizations for militarist, expansionary, and/or culturally imperialist policies. :<

That is a bias on my part though, and does not get in the way of my love for Israel and its people.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »

I find it amusing how Jews who have never stepped foot in Israel have a right of "return," yet Palestinians refugees and their children don't.

The Israeli government can set its own immigration policy, and it's not unreasonable to invite in people with a culture similar to that of regular Israelis while not allowing in those who would prefer to see the Israeli state cease to exist. So while you may find it amusing it is clearly the sensible policy.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »

The Israeli government can set its own immigration policy, and it's not unreasonable to invite in people with a culture similar to that of regular Israelis while not allowing in those who would prefer to see the Israeli state cease to exist. So while you may find it amusing it is clearly the sensible policy.

Hurr because all Palestinian refugees and their descendants want to see Israel destroyed.

There's a word to describe what you just posted: racism.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »

Hurr because all Palestinian refugees and their descendants want to see Israel destroyed.

Because, yes, the large majority of Palestinian refugees and their descendants would like to see Israel destroyed -- that is racism. What I posted was common sense.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »

Because, yes, the large majority of Palestinian refugees and their descendants would like to see Israel destroyed -- that is racism. What I posted was common sense.

O RLY?  Do you have a source?  Bonus points if you can find a source that isn't some zionist propaganda site.

Regardless, it's wrong as all bloody hell to ban an entire class of people just because of some view they might hold.  That's not "common sense."  That's racism.  But it's okay, because it's racism in defense of your bloody thousand-mile-away imperialist state that's not even the size of Armenia that has not done one thing to deserve the religious support of you and millions of other Americans, to the insane extent that American teenagers volunteer for the IDF.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »

Does it really matter if it's a matter of degree when large portions of both sides are guilty of it?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »

O RLY?  Do you have a source?  Bonus points if you can find a source that isn't some zionist propaganda site.

I don't think a source is necessary to say something as simple as 'people who fled the territory of a government, and their descendants, would prefer that government not exist.' Palestinian refugees are disparate enough around the world that opinion polls of them pretty much don't exist, but I think that's an assumption that can be safely made.

Regardless, it's wrong as all bloody hell to ban an entire class of people just because of some view they might hold.  That's not "common sense."  That's racism.

It is common sense for a government to say 'we won't let you in if you don't think we should exist'.

But it's okay, because it's racism in defense of your bloody thousand-mile-away imperialist state that's not even the size of Armenia that has not done one thing to deserve the religious support of you and millions of other Americans, to the insane extent that American teenagers volunteer for the IDF.

Speaking of Armenia, I wonder what your opinion is on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict?

In any case I don't think Israel is 'bloody' or 'imperialist', but then I'm sure you knew that. Again, Israel has, you know, strong cultural ties and a decades-old alliance with the US, but it really hasn't done anything to deserve US support. Clearly not. Speaking of US teenagers volunteering for the IDF, I've actually wondered about maybe doing Sar-El for three weeks the summer between my senior year of high school and freshman year of college, maybe convincing some buddies to come as well (it's free and open to any volunteers from anywhere). Three years into the future is a bit far to plan about this sort of thing, though.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »

How is Zionism racist?  Last I checked it was the Palestinians who were portraying the Jews as greedy, stingy, violent spawn of Satan.  (Remember Farfur the Mouse and Ahmadinejad's denials of the Holocaust?)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies