Official Chick-fil-A Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:10:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33131 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »

Chick'fila is a growing franchise that creates jobs. How amazing that some radicals would try to bash a good business.

Dude, the Nazis were a growing franchise in Germany in the 1930s.

Political movements and businesses are different things, opebo.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »

Really disappointed to see so many people advocating for local governments to ban Chick-Fil-A.  That said, I'd never eat there, because 1) I can't; 2) It looks gross; and, 3) I think their political position here is abhorrent.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »

Blocking a proposed franchise from opening up is wrong if it's done purely on what the parent company or CEO believes in. Let them open; the consumers will punish them by making their expansion a loss if the backlash is strong enough.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »

Billy Graham is an embarassment. I'll go to hell if I don't have to party with him up in heaven. Only squares go there.

I love this country, but this why I get so annoyed by it. This is somehow a major issue for politicians, and than idiot homophobes like the ones in GLP think it's cool to eat there now. What stupid people.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »

Some ACLU press release had a good point, when they noted that if a business can be blocked from opening for opposing gay marriage, then one could also be blocked for supporting gay marriage. So yeah kind of a worrying precedent. Just organize boycotts and pickets of the place.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 01:17:55 AM »

The VP of Chick-fil-A's Public Relations department died suddenly yesterday.

RIP, but to say the timing his death was bizarre would be a huge understatement.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 01:21:24 AM »

Some ACLU press release had a good point, when they noted that if a business can be blocked from opening for opposing gay marriage, then one could also be blocked for supporting gay marriage. So yeah kind of a worrying precedent. Just organize boycotts and pickets of the place.
Exactly-whether Chic-fil-A is right or wrong on gay marriage, is a totally differant issue. But they have as much a right to oppose gay marriage like Oreo supports it.

Question to those who want to ban Chic-fil-A (if any are actually here)-should I be punished for not supporting gay marriage?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:06 AM »

Totally agreed.  Gay marriage is going to happen because the argument for it is better, and the argument wasn't shut down back when gay marriage was a marginal social/political position.  Institutional suppression is the enemy of good social change, so this shtick really disappoints me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25:52 AM »

Does Chik-Fil-A actually practice anti-gay discrimination (either as official policy as Cracker Barrel has for years, or unofficially to a notable degre worse than other corporations)?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »

Totally agreed.  Gay marriage is going to happen because the argument for it is better, and the argument wasn't shut down back when gay marriage was a marginal social/political position.  Institutional suppression is the enemy of good social change, so this shtick really disappoints me.
I know today that I am on the wrong side of history-there is no stopping the winds of change, even if it contradicts my own religious views. The actions of those wanting to outright ban Chic-fil-A is just as evil, and indefensible as the persecutions of homosexuals throughout history.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 01:31:57 AM »

This would be the most reasonable response. Official condemnations are nice, but not to the point of overstepping one's authority.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 01:32:32 AM »

I know today that I am on the wrong side of history-there is no stopping the winds of change, even if it contradicts my own religious views. The actions of those wanting to outright ban Chic-fil-A is just as evil, and indefensible as the persecutions of homosexuals throughout history.

I'm not sure how to feel about this...you equate the harm of enforcing ideological projects over choice via state power, and then say you oppose gay marriage because of your personal religious views...how can you entertain the belief that one is "evil" and then outwardly practice the other?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 01:36:54 AM »

Does Chik-Fil-A actually practice anti-gay discrimination (either as official policy as Cracker Barrel has for years, or unofficially to a notable degre worse than other corporations)?
From what I know, no, though I think the number of homosexuals working there is low due to their public opposition to gay marriage, and the few who apply are immediately accepted, as not to risk a discrimination lawsuit.

I'm not sure how to feel about this...you equate the harm of enforcing ideological projects over choice via state power, and then say you oppose gay marriage because of your personal religious views...how can you entertain the belief that one is "evil" and then outwardly practice the other?
I oppose gay marriage, but I have no more of a right to force my views on gays than they do on me. The Mayor of Boston does not have the right (legally, as well as theoretically) to ban Chic-fil-A, and I don't have a right to ban gay marriage. 

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 01:44:51 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 01:52:16 AM by Alcon »

I oppose gay marriage, but I have no more of a right to force my views on gays than they do on me. The Mayor of Boston does not have the right (legally, as well as theoretically) to ban Chic-fil-A, and I don't have a right to ban gay marriage.  

Except you are opposing an otherwise rational state policy (sorry, but there's just no good argument there) based on your own personal religious views -- presumably because you think it's immoral to contribute state approval of a practice you personally consider immoral.  You do realize that's not particularly far off from what you're calling "evil"?  I realize that, in one case, it's the state refusing to allow a private business based on personal ideology; in another case, it's the state refusing to engage in an otherwise rational social policy because of personal ideology.  That's a distinction.  It's enough of one that one is "evil" to you and the other is a political view you actively hold?

I hope I'm being clear.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 04:18:08 AM »

This thread is making me crave Chick-fil-A.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 04:50:02 AM »

Don't bother with EAT MOR CHIKIN.  Proxy IP; he'll be gone soon.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 09:00:23 AM by brittain33 »

From what I know, no, though I think the number of homosexuals working there is low due to their public opposition to gay marriage, and the few who apply are immediately accepted, as not to risk a discrimination lawsuit.

Discrimination against gays in hiring is completely legal in about 30 states, and they overlap heavily with states where CfA is based. I'd think even in a state like Mass. a lawsuit based on discrimination in a fast food joint would never get off the ground--no one would waste their time trying to build a case.

That said, unlike Cracker Barrel in the 90s, I've never heard of CfA discriminating.
Link
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »

Chick'fila is a growing franchise that creates jobs. How amazing that some radicals would try to bash a good business.

Chick-fil-A is a grease soaked sodium fest that is contributing to our health care crisis.  How amazing that reactionaries ignore a problem that is killing the majority of Americans (being overweight or obese) but have the time to hate on a tiny minority of the population.  If the CEO of Chick-fil-A wasn't a death merchant his comments would only be moderately disgusting.  Considering the methods he uses to line his pockets, him and the rest of the delusional right need to shut the f--- up.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something important here, but this really seems to be a silly, trivial non-issue.
Link
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something important here, but this really seems to be a silly, trivial non-issue.

Well what do you mean by "this?"  Do you mean the CEO of a large highly visible corporation insulting a bunch of complete strangers for no reason or the fact that some people take issue with that kind of behavior?  I would characterize the CEOs behavior as "silly."  I wouldn't call it trivial or a non-issue... but I'm not a bigot so...
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2012, 01:55:25 PM by Redalgo »

Well what do you mean by "this?"  Do you mean the CEO of a large highly visible corporation insulting a bunch of complete strangers for no reason or the fact that some people take issue with that kind of behavior?  I would characterize the CEOs behavior as "silly."  I wouldn't call it trivial or a non-issue... but I'm not a bigot so...

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. A CEO is not the physical embodiment of the firm over which they preside, the opinions of a CEO are not necessarily relevant to the quality of goods and services rendered to consumers, and if the company is not discriminating against people on the ground of sexual orientation in the workplace, that CEO is just another windbag among tens of thousands of others who I am completely disinterested in lending my attention to for more than a couple of minutes before moving on. He has a right to his opinions just like anyone else, and even though I am a strong supporter of LGBT rights and find the bloke's views disgusting, I am not going to call him nasty names or assume he is a horrible person.

I will not knowingly buy anything from his firm to avoid a cut of my money going into social causes I strongly disagree with, but banning the fast-food joints from towns is ridiculous, punishes workers far more than it does their CEO, and responding to hate and bigotry with more hate and bigotry is not going to accomplish anything constructive. Likewise, I do not think it is a big deal whether the CEOs of other firms actively support stronger LGBT rights - though associating ones company with ideas I agree with is liable to influence my behaviors of consumption in a more positive way.

i.e. This issue can be personally important but socially just seems like a brief flash in the PC pan.

I try to love and accept everybody - even if they make bad decisions. Is there much else to say?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »

While I obviously vehemently disagree with Chick-fil-A's position on this issue, and while I have an even more serious problem with corporations trying to engage in social engineering like this, I think it sets a dangerous precedent to tell a business to get out of town because of it's founder's philosophy or political beliefs. That being said, I won't be eating at Chick-fil-A on August 1, or any other day for that matter, but only because the food it serves is an unhealthy abomination.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »

Does Chik-Fil-A actually practice anti-gay discrimination...?

Nope, not at all.  The "problem" with Chick-fil-A is NOT it's actions, but the religious beliefs of the CEO...and for those religious beliefs the mayors of Chicago and Boston are trying to get Chik-fil-A run out of town.

Actually, yes, the problem is Chik-fil-A's actions. It is not really important that the owner and board of Chik-fil-A is staunchly opposed to gay marriage. What is important is that Chik-fil-A donates a large amount of its profits to groups aimed at keeping gay marriage illegal, and continuing the nightmare of discrimination us gays have to suffer each and every day because 51% of the country thinks it's "icky."

This is little different, in my mind, from boycotting South Africa in the 1980s to show opposition to Apartheid. It may be a moral issue to you, but damnit, it's a moral issue to us too. Denying gays their rights is immoral. And increasingly, the public as a whole is coming to believe this.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2012, 04:59:22 PM »

Corporations support things you don't agree with all the time; it's like people have different beliefs or something. If you actually boycotted every company who did something you didn't like, you'd have to make everything yourself.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

I think boycotting a company that donates millions to organisations that funds 'ex-gay' shams is a sensible thing to do if you have 21st Century sensibilities.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies