Official Chick-fil-A Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:56:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Official Chick-fil-A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Official Chick-fil-A Thread  (Read 33135 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »

Having attending a camp sponsored by Chick-Fil-A (and being a roomate with a Cathy!), I'm probably one of the biggest Chick-Fil-A supporters out there. Not necessarily because of their strong moral convictions, but because they have the best chicken sandwich in America.

I'm hungry now. Guess where I'm going???

Sad Sad
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »

Romney probably would eat at Chick-fil-A.  After all, Mr. Etch-a-Sketch should like Waffle Fries.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »

Romney probably would eat at Chick-fil-A.  After all, Mr. Etch-a-Sketch should like Waffle Fries.

I expect him to be questioned on this issue when he returns from his overseas trip, and to come up with an half-baked response that dodges the question, confuses the issue, and fails to take a side.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »

Is 'chick-fi-a' a sort of poultry-based polyfilla?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2012, 06:42:59 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2012, 06:45:17 PM by opebo »

One thing I like about you opebo is you don't even bother with consistency.  After all, I presume you don't intend to stop complaining about your worries that the Thai people, through their elected representatives, will decide they no longer want to sell their girls in their communities.

No, I will not.  Obviously it is an issue of personal freedom and feminism that they be free from interference with their provision of services (and their winning of handsome incomes!)

Another way of putting this is - democracy is obviously better than plutocracy, but personal physical freedom (to take drugs for example, or have sex with whomever you like) is more important than democracy.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »

One thing I like about you opebo is you don't even bother with consistency.  After all, I presume you don't intend to stop complaining about your worries that the Thai people, through their elected representatives, will decide they no longer want to sell their girls in their communities.

No, I will not.  Obviously it is an issue of personal freedom and feminism that they be free from interference with their provision of services (and their winning of handsome incomes!)

Another way of putting this is - democracy is obviously better than plutocracy, but personal physical freedom (to take drugs for example, or have sex with whomever you like) is more important than democracy.

Yes and no. For somebody who accepts elements of the Marxist critique, you've always been remarkably (willfully?) oblivious as to the circumstances under which many women come to prostitution.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2012, 02:51:11 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Hidden-Chick-fil-A-Billionaires-Hatched-as-3750621.php

Chick-fil-A generated $492 million in earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization on revenue of $1.12 billion in 2011, the PrivCo report said. It added that the company’s 44 percent Ebitda margin was “virtually unheard of in the restaurant industry.”

The chain has the biggest sales per unit in fast-food, according to QSR Magazine. In 2011, the company generated gross sales of $2.9 million per location, outpacing the average unit sales of runner-up McDonald’s Corp. by $400,000, the magazine said in its August 2012 issue.

These men are quite accomplished and living the American Dream. Kudos.

America can certainly use more job creators and less whiners.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Hidden-Chick-fil-A-Billionaires-Hatched-as-3750621.php

Chick-fil-A generated $492 million in earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization on revenue of $1.12 billion in 2011, the PrivCo report said. It added that the company’s 44 percent Ebitda margin was “virtually unheard of in the restaurant industry.”

The chain has the biggest sales per unit in fast-food, according to QSR Magazine. In 2011, the company generated gross sales of $2.9 million per location, outpacing the average unit sales of runner-up McDonald’s Corp. by $400,000, the magazine said in its August 2012 issue.

To some people there are things more important than accumulation of profit. I don't understand what you think this proves.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 07:41:20 AM by fezzyfestoon »

After giving this bizarre turn of events some time to percolate, this is my list of things in order of how much they bother me:

1. That a f(Inks)ing fast food crap hole is taking a political stance that instantaneously puts all of their customers and employees in the uncomfortable, unfair, and unnecessary position of defending their eating habits with regards to politics.
2. That conservatives are ignorantly rallying behind Chick-fil-A as though there's some sort of moral power to this ridiculous action.
3. That there's more of a backlash against those that oppose Chick-fil-A than support it (in true conservative victimization tradition) by way of an argument for "free speech"
4. That gay marriage is still a political issue.

This is so utterly humiliating for American culture on so many levels, yet I find it ultimately appropriate. Ideally, politics and fast food would be about as far removed from each other as you could expect two entities to be. Upon a little critical thinking it's disappointingly apropos. Americans approach food and politics in much the same way. They believe only the loudest voices and consequently consume their product with vigor. Quality be damned, if you somehow manage to get Americans talking about your version junk, they'll eventually take a hard-line stance on it and you'll be set for life with the half that take your side. It doesn't matter what it is, if there's a division possible we'll find it and dig in as deep as possible regardless of our actual tastes for it. Because we don't have tastes beyond what we're told we love or hate.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »

To some people there are things more important than accumulation of profit. I don't understand what you think this proves.

I merely make some observations of the successful American business of American values; namely, success in the free market. I suspect they will use this amusing course of events to further their business.

Incidentally, the man who said this was not subject to exile from Chicago.

“I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. For me as a Christian, it’s also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.”
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2012, 06:53:28 PM by Nathan »

You appear to be restricting American values to the definition 'success in the free market'. I don't think that's all that American values are. I think they're other things as well.

Bear in mind that the particular chain of 'restaurants' we're talking about operates primarily (although not exclusively) in geographical areas and along cultural lines where these sorts of shenanigans help them. Others don't.

I'm well aware of President Obama's relative mendacity on this particular subject, but I don't recall him doubling down on 'God's judgment on our nation' or donating massive amounts of money to stridently anti-gay organizations and causes.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »

You appear to be restricting American values to the definition 'success in the free market'. I don't think that's all that American values are. I think they're other things as well.

Like being homophobic, xenophobic, sexist, racist, and generally bigoted against the "Other"?

Oh, sorry. Not the values you're looking for. Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »

Bear in mind that the particular chain of 'restaurants' we're talking about operates primarily (although not exclusively) in geographical areas and along cultural lines where these sorts of shenanigans help them. Others don't.

Why the scare quotes around restaurants?  Whatever you might think of the ownership's political opinions, Chick-fil-A is most definitely a restaurant chain, albeit one that has always operated with a conservative Christian viewpoint, which is most emblematic in its refusal to be open on Sundays.  [Not that they have absolutely no one there on such days. When I drove by one two days ago, the parking lot was getting a power-washing while the restaurant was closed for the Christian sabbath.]
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »

Don't even try to debate with this person, he seems to be a deluded child. 
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2012, 11:32:30 PM »

Having eaten at Chick-fil-A once again this afternoon, I must say that their chicken sandwiches are delicious (especially with honey roasted BBQ sauce). I don't plan on patronizing tomorrow for obvious reasons.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2012, 03:48:26 AM »

Why the scare quotes around restaurants?  Whatever you might think of the ownership's political opinions, Chick-fil-A is most definitely a restaurant chain, albeit one that has always operated with a conservative Christian viewpoint, which is most emblematic in its refusal to be open on Sundays.  [Not that they have absolutely no one there on such days. When I drove by one two days ago, the parking lot was getting a power-washing while the restaurant was closed for the Christian sabbath.]
Installing seats in a fast food joint does not make a restaurant. Advertising-driven redefinitions of words should be resisted as long as possible. (Not that Chick-Fil-A is the culprit here, that's McD.)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2012, 08:22:07 AM »

Yes and no. For somebody who accepts elements of the Marxist critique, you've always been remarkably (willfully?) oblivious as to the circumstances under which many women come to prostitution.

Yeah, because that's mostly a fiction concocted by prudes.  They don't come to it any differently than anyone comes to any toil.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 05:31:52 PM by krazen1211 »

I'm well aware of President Obama's relative mendacity on this particular subject, but I don't recall him doubling down on 'God's judgment on our nation' or donating massive amounts of money to stridently anti-gay organizations and causes.

That's true, I suppose he only singled down on it. Incidentally, Obama's reprieve seems to have extended to others such as Louis Farrakhan and Bill Clinton. I will try to wrap my head around this emanuel logic.

Incidentally, Chick Fil A day has been a rousing success! Lines are going out the door and into the street. Certainly if there is another American value to be championed, it is freedom of expression and speech by the hundreds of thousands of Americans who went there today to show their support for Mr. Huckabee and Mr. Cathy.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/01/usa-gaymarriage-chickfila-idINL2E8J19AM20120801
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/chick-fil-a-appreciation-day-hundreds-flock-to-northridge-restaurant.html
https://plus.google.com/107508786997767901955/posts/6xcRMmPVbao

I suppose the so called tolerant left has placed millions of dollars in the pocketbooks of Mr. Cathy and the franchises.

Even at the DC truck,lines were long. Turns out people like the 'hate' chicken.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »

Yup, business is booming!

I wonder if there was a weird salmonella breakout recently.  Boy, wouldn't that make headlines..
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »

I wonder if there was a weird salmonella breakout recently.  Boy, wouldn't that make headlines..

Hey, someone made up a graph on the internet and wished illness on others! You must be proud.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »

I wonder if there was a weird salmonella breakout recently.  Boy, wouldn't that make headlines..

Hey, someone made up a graph on the internet and wished illness on others! You must be proud.

I don't recall actually wishing anything on someone, but hey, that's your own interpretation.

Feel free to reject the graph, though.  It's not the first time you've shot down statistics not in your favor. Smiley
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2012, 06:18:42 PM »

I don't recall actually wishing anything on someone, but hey, that's your own interpretation.

Feel free to reject the graph, though.  It's not the first time you've shot down statistics not in your favor. Smiley

Oh I shall. Seeing is believing. I thank you for mobilizing the people.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/45-photos-of-insanely-long-lines-for-chick-fil-a-appreciation-day/article/2503792&rct=j&sa=X&ei=M7YZUOf7M7LF0AGM-ICAAw&ved=0CGUQ-AsoATAI&q=chick+fil+a&usg=AFQjCNFtfnr0xnXsn3zIjrOMXoA4Eg84Dg
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 06:27:04 PM by Bloodthirsty Hound »

http://washingtonexaminer.com/45-photos-of-insanely-long-lines-for-chick-fil-a-appreciation-day/article/2503792&rct=j&sa=X&ei=M7YZUOf7M7LF0AGM-ICAAw&ved=0CGUQ-AsoATAI&q=chick+fil+a&usg=AFQjCNFtfnr0xnXsn3zIjrOMXoA4Eg84Dg

Those are pictures of one day of groups of crazies who have come out of the woodwork because Huckabee told them to, not, say, a survey of perceptions of a corporation across a large swathe of America. For every crazy who dropped everything today to go buy hate chicken, there's at least 50 other Americans who didn't.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »

Feel free to reject the graph, though.  It's not the first time you've shot down statistics not in your favor. Smiley

Photos?  That's all you have?  Meaningless.

I suppose I can understand why you don't like reading the numbers, though.  Math teachers are bad, right?

But really, even if the boycotts were meaningless, what does that say?  I could put a huge swastika sign outside of a McDonalds, and people would still eat there.  People tend to think with their stomachs, not with their values.  And you don't have to drive around much to see that.  

So the fact that there's a national 'Stuff Your Face' Day for means of political protest isn't very surprising.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »

Those are pictures of one day of groups of crazies who have come out of the woodwork because Huckabee told them to, not, say, a survey of perceptions of a corporation across a large swathe of America. For every crazy who dropped everything today to go buy hate chicken, there's at least 50 other Americans who didn't.

And yet, despite random chumps of the internet making up whatever they want and whining like babies, Chick Fil a's financial metrics far exceed the competition.

I like how reality works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies