Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 07:04:33 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  House passes Audit the Fed bill.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: House passes Audit the Fed bill.  (Read 1259 times)
Korwinist
ModernBourbon Democrat
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 10:59:50 am »
Ignore

You're misunderstanding. My point is that "value" is whatever society decides it is. A piece of paper used as legal tender is just as valuable as the gold you want to "back [it] up" with because people decide that it should be so. That's all.

"In and of itself, worth nothing" doesn't mean anything. "Worth" is not an objective quality.

You're correct, but you're also missing the point.

Yes, everything's value is subjective. However, an objective value (or a price) is reached through the exchange of goods. Joe might think his private jet is worth less than a car, and he might trade away his private jets for the price of cars, but someone is going to buy and resell them at a rate that makes them a profit. You might think a Peso is worth a Dollar, but there are enough people with dollars and pesos that you won't get far trying to trade them at a 1-1 ratio, even if you're the richest man in the world.

Long titles annoy me
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 12:06:04 pm »
Ignore

This is cool, but I highly doubt the Senate will pass it.

I imagine hyphenation, for both spouses, as a sort of custom would very quickly make us all sound like a bunch of bizarrely named English aristocrats. If Peter Flynn marries Beatrice Mendez and has a kid named Anthony, who in turn marries Alice Glazowski-Chanut, their kid would be named Colin Mendez-Flynn-Glazowski-Chanut, who would then marry Beth Harper-Zhang-Rothman-Wald, and their kid would be named...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout