Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 02:06:21 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Election and History Games
| | |-+  Survivor (Moderator: big bad fab)
| | | |-+  Doctor Who episodes, R. T. Davies period (2005-2010) survivor - Phase I Round 20
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who episodes, R. T. Davies period (2005-2010) survivor - Phase I Round 20  (Read 9210 times)
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »
Ignore

Ladies, gentlemen, multi-sex, undecided or robot, welcome to this survivor ! Smiley

Series 1 (2005)

1. Rose Eliminated Round 14
2. The End of the World Eliminated Round 10
3. The Unquiet Dead Eliminated Round 4
4-5. Aliens of London / World War Three
6. Dalek
7. The Long Game
8. Father's Day
9-10. The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances
11. Boom Town Eliminated Round 13
12-13. Bad Wolf / The Parting of the Ways

Series 2 (2006)

1. New Earth Eliminated Round 8
2. Tooth and Claw Eliminated Round 7
3. School Reunion Eliminated Round 19
4. The Girl in the Fireplace
5-6. Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel
7. The Idiot's Lantern Eliminated Round 3
8-9. The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit
10. Love & Monsters Eliminated Round 2
11. Fear Her Eliminated Round 1
12-13. Army of Ghosts / Doomsday

Series 3 (2007)

1. Smith and Jones
2. The Shakespeare Code Eliminated Round 17
3. Gridlock
4-5. Daleks in Manhattan / Evolution of the Daleks Eliminated Round 5
6. The Lazarus Experiment Eliminated Round 9
7. 42
8-9. Human Nature / The Family of Blood
10. Blink
11-12-13. Utopia / The Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords

Series 4 (2008)

1. Partners in Crime Eliminated Round 16
2. The Fires of Pompeii
3. Planet of the Ood Immunized Round 18
4-5. The Sontaran Stratagem / The Poison Sky
6. The Doctor's Daughter
7. The Unicorn and the Wasp Eliminated Round 11
8-9. Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead
10. Midnight
11. Turn Left Immunized Round 6
12-13. The Stolen Earth / Journey's End Immunized Round 12

Special episodes

Xmas 2005 The Christmas Invasion
Xmas 2006 The Runaway Bride
Xmas 2007 Voyage of the Damned
Xmas 2008 The Next Doctor Eliminated Round 15
Easter 2009 Planet of the Dead
Nov. 2009 The Waters of Mars
Xmas/NY 2009-10 The End of Time

Rules

The principles of this games are simple : at each round, we will vote to eliminate one episode. The classical rule is that everybody has one vote to eliminate, but there can be variations from time to time. Rounds generally last around 24 hours, but can be extended if necessary to let people vote.

This survivor is composed of 46 episodes (note : episodes in two or more parts are counted as a single episode, so for example you can't vote to eliminate "The Sontaran Stratagem" only without also ousting "The Poison Sky"). Phase I will consist in eliminating the first 30 episodes. During each round, you are free to choose whatever episode you want to eliminate, with the exception that at least 3 episodes of each series (and two specials) must ascend to phase II. That means, when there are only 3 episodes left in the series, you can't oust them.

Every five normal rounds (that is, on round 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30), there will also be an immunity round. During such rounds, the vote will not consist in eliminating, but rather in "saving" an episode : if selected, the episode will be protected from elimination until the end of Phase I. Like for elimination, not more than 3 episodes can be immunized in the same series (2 in specials).

All right, enough talking ! Round 1 begins ! Have fun. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:33:57 pm by Formerly Californian Tony »Logged

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:36:06 pm »
Ignore

Oh shucks... well, let's begin with, "Turn Left."

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 07:13:35 pm »
Ignore

In honor of the 2012 Olympics theme, vote out Fear Her.  Sub-par.
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:59:02 pm »
Ignore

Fear Her. It could have been So Bad It's Good, but it ended up missing that boat by a good margin.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:20:37 pm »
Ignore

Voyage of the Damned

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:22:24 pm »
Ignore

Voyage of the Damned

Boo, that one is worth keeping around for a few rounds if only for Minogue's legs.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:03:31 am »
Ignore

The Unquiet Dead

The only interesting thing was the Doctor's admiration of Dickens. Otherwise, it's all quite forgettable.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 06:10:05 am »
Ignore

Fear her, on so many different levels.
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 07:06:39 am »
Ignore

Love & Monsters.

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:53:51 am »
Ignore

Fear Her.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:56:57 am »
Ignore

Daleks in Manhattan

Speaker Dereich
Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 01:48:10 am »
Ignore

Love and Monsters. Worst episode ever.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:16 am »
Ignore

Fear Her : 4
Love & Monsters : 2
Turn Left : 1
Voyage of the Damned : 1
The Unquiet Dead : 1
Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks : 1

Eliminated :
Series 2 - Episode 11

Aired 24 June 2006

The Doctor: I was a dad once.
Rose: What did you say?

Round 2 begins.

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 03:49:20 am »
Ignore

Love & Monsters.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 06:13:04 am »
Ignore

Despite some good ELO tunes,  Love & Monsters be gone.
Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »
Ignore

Journey's end for me, the first part is quite good but the ending is just awful.
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14:56 pm »
Ignore

Gridlock.

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 12:36:03 pm »
Ignore

The Unquiet Dead

Can't resolve myself to vote Love & Monsters already. It's definitely subpar, but I quite like the dissonance between its unusually light/childish tone and the fact the story ends up being one of the saddest of the series.

IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 11:06:26 pm »
Ignore

I vote to eliminate Daleks In Manhattan, due to its large role in the villain decay of the Daleks. The Cult of Skaro deserved something more dignified than this.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:08:52 pm by Emperor PiT »Logged

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 04:07:46 am »
Ignore

Nobody else ? C'mon people ! Sad

Pit : You didn't like Daleks in Manhattan ? It might well be my favorite Dalek episode ever, with the very original idea of giving the Daleks a chance to redeem themselves and become better creatures thanks to humanity. The fact it ends up in such a tragic way, in particular regarding Dalek Sec, the only "lucid" Dalek to have ever existed, makes the ending particularly moving. I've also liked Talullah and Laszlo's romance. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:52:18 am by Antonio V »Logged

IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 05:04:22 am »
Ignore

I thought the Daleks had a certain charm as implacable killing machines. It's a nice break from the complexity of real life, if you will. Tongue That four Daleks were stuck hiding under Manhattan (a fact that was pointed out, even) was humiliating to them and made them seem less threatening in the long run. I thought it was a good story on its own terms, but I didn't like the effect it had on the greater saga.

Ultimately, I concede that it may not be fair to blame any one story for the recent decline of the Daleks. Overall, they were just used too often. Any tack that would let them stay menacing in spite of such frequent appearances would probably be too pessimistic to work in Doctor Who.

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 05:21:07 am »
Ignore

I thought the Daleks had a certain charm as implacable killing machines. It's a nice break from the complexity of real life, if you will. Tongue That four Daleks were stuck hiding under Manhattan (a fact that was pointed out, even) was humiliating to them and made them seem less threatening in the long run. I thought it was a good story on its own terms, but I didn't like the effect it had on the greater saga.

Ultimately, I concede that it may not be fair to blame any one story for the recent decline of the Daleks. Overall, they were just used too often. Any tack that would let them stay menacing in spite of such frequent appearances would probably be too pessimistic to work in Doctor Who.

I agree. As a villain they really have ceased to be villainous (and this goes back to the 80's). One Dalek is not particualrly frightening and neither is a million; it's hard to get a happy medium - 'Dalek' got it balanced well.

Moffat has been wise to 'retire' the Dalek's though the first episode of the new series will feature every Dalek there has ever been so who knows if it will be a bit of a re-invention.

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 05:59:59 am »
Ignore

I agree. As a villain they really have ceased to be villainous (and this goes back to the 80's). One Dalek is not particualrly frightening and neither is a million; it's hard to get a happy medium - 'Dalek' got it balanced well.

Moffat has been wise to 'retire' the Dalek's though the first episode of the new series will feature every Dalek there has ever been so who knows if it will be a bit of a re-invention.

Well, personally, having watched only the new series I must say I have never found the Daleks particularly terrifying (except in "Dalek", by the point you see how terrified the Doctor himself is). They have long been overshadowed by the Angels, the Vashta Nerada, the Midnight thing or the Silence in terms of creepiness. IMO, the Daleks are in the show as a metaphor of evil and inhumanity. They don't need to be terrifying, they might even look utterly pathetic (the "do not blaspheme" bit in Doomsday is perfect in that regard). The remnants of the Skaro Cult in Daleks in Manhattan is a way to point out why the Daleks fail : because their conviction that dalekness equals perfection prevents them from evolving like every species does. And when one of them finally tries to, he ends up being rejected by his former mates (which he is genuinely trying to help). I thinks this story tells a lot of truth about fanaticism and hatred of difference, and is magnificently tragic this way.

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 06:02:06 am »
Ignore

Love & Monsters : 2
The Stolen Earth/Journey's End : 1
Gridlock : 1
The Unquiet Dead : 1
Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks : 1

Eliminated :
Series 2 - Episode 10

Aired 17 June 2006

Rose: You upset my mum.
Elton: Great big absorbing creature from outer space, and you're having a go at me?
Rose: No one upsets my mum.
Victor: At last. The greatest feast of all. The Doctor.
The Doctor: What's this thing? A sort Absorbatrix? Absorba... clon? Absorbaloff?
Victor: Absorbaloff, yes.
Rose: Is it me or is he a bit... Slitheen?
The Doctor: Not from Raxacorricofallapatorius, are you?
Victor: No! I'm not the swine! I SPIT on them! I was born on their twin planet.
The Doctor: Really? What's the twin planet of Raxacorricofallapatorius?
Victor: Clom.
The Doctor: Clom.
Victor: Clom.

The Doctor: Sweet... maybe. Passionate... I suppose. But don't ever mistake that for nice.

Elton: So, there you go. Turns out I've had the most terrible things happen. And the most brilliant things. And sometimes - well - I can't tell the difference. They're all the same thing. They're... they're just me. You know, Stephen King said once, he said... "salvation and damnation are the same thing". And I never knew what he meant. But I do now. 'Cos the Doctor might be wonderful, but thinking back... I was having such a special time. Just for a bit. I had this nice little gang. And they were destroyed. It's not his fault. But maybe that's what happens if you touch the Doctor. Even for a second. I keep thinking of Rose and Jackie. And how much longer before they pay the price.

Round 3 begins.

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 07:42:01 am »
Ignore

Boom Town. Worst episode of 2005.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: