Doctor Who episodes, R. T. Davies period (2005-2010) survivor - Phase I Round 20
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  Survivor
  Doctor Who episodes, R. T. Davies period (2005-2010) survivor - Phase I Round 20
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Doctor Who episodes, R. T. Davies period (2005-2010) survivor - Phase I Round 20  (Read 35812 times)
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »

The Lazarus Experiment
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »

I liked Turn Left, I liked the idea of seeing the effects of the alien madness on Earth when the Docto wasn't there and it was hard-hitting emotionally, at least to me.

Daleks in Manhattan is just silly, so I'll vote for that.

Also, anyone else realize that Daleks only really appeared as actual characters in one episode (Victory of the Daleks) of the Moffat era? In The Big Bang and The Wedding of River Song they were more tools to propel the plot forward then the much-beloved Nazi allegories of old. I don't think that Moffat has the same sort of nostalgia for the old Doctor Who villians that RTD had.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »

Oh crap... I'd vote anything to save Daleks in Manhattan.

Let's try Boom Town again. I don't dislike it, but it's definitely subpar compared to last two thirds of season 1.

Also, anyone else realize that Daleks only really appeared as actual characters in one episode (Victory of the Daleks) of the Moffat era? In The Big Bang and The Wedding of River Song they were more tools to propel the plot forward then the much-beloved Nazi allegories of old. I don't think that Moffat has the same sort of nostalgia for the old Doctor Who villians that RTD had.

Yeah, Moffat doesn't seem to be a huge fan of the Daleks. Or maybe he just wants to let them rest a bit, so that next time they appear it will be more sudden. But I don't like the way he treated them in The Pandorica Opens. The Daleks will not, ever, ally with any other species. Even if it's in order to beat the doctor. They are supposed to consider any other living being as an abomination whose sole existence is inherently immoral.

Anyways, I for one generally like the treatment of the Daleks by R T Davies. Maybe that's because I don't know the old series...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »

Daleks In Manhattan

Yeah, Moffat doesn't seem to be a huge fan of the Daleks. Or maybe he just wants to let them rest a bit, so that next time they appear it will be more sudden. But I don't like the way he treated them in The Pandorica Opens. The Daleks will not, ever, ally with any other species. Even if it's in order to beat the doctor. They are supposed to consider any other living being as an abomination whose sole existence is inherently immoral.

Anyways, I for one generally like the treatment of the Daleks by R T Davies. Maybe that's because I don't know the old series...

I heard that he was letting them rest so they'd be "fresher", which is a notion that I agree with. Then again, he did have them appear briefly in The Big Bang and The Wedding of River Song to do basically nothing but get trashed by River Song and the Doctor respectively. So who knows.

Daleks sometimes do form temporary alliances to further their own ends (like enlisting the foreman in Daleks In Manhattan, actually). The trick is that they think absolutely nothing of betraying their partners when they decide that they are no longer useful.

The thing that really bothered me in The Pandorica Opens was the sheer number of species who probably hadn't met the Doctor yet and couldn't travel through time. It's like we were meant to think that the Daleks bothered to bring back species like the Weevils, Judoon, Sontarans, &c. who were vastly inferior on a technological level and could serve no purpose but to stand there and look threatening.

If it were up to me, the Daleks would have captured the Doctor themselves. Use an electrical holding field or something. Allow the Daleks to actually win something for once, since it ultimately wouldn't matter. It'd help their image out.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »

Uh oh, looks like Daleks in Manhattan is screwed. Sad
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »

Boom Town
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »

Daleks in Manhattan. It's not a bad episode, but I like Boom Town Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 08:30:10 AM »

Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks : 4
Boom Town : 3
Turn Left : 1
The Lazarus Experiment : 1
42 : 1

Eliminated :
Series 3 - Episodes 4-5

Aired 21-28 April 2007

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Round 6 begins. This is an immunity round : you must vote for an episode you want to protect from elimination during the rest of phase I.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »

Since its so at risk, I'll vote for:

Boomtown.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »

Protect - Turn Left.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »

I'll go for turn left as well.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »

Protect - 42.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »

Yeah, Turn Left.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »

I heard that he was letting them rest so they'd be "fresher", which is a notion that I agree with. Then again, he did have them appear briefly in The Big Bang and The Wedding of River Song to do basically nothing but get trashed by River Song and the Doctor respectively. So who knows.

Daleks sometimes do form temporary alliances to further their own ends (like enlisting the foreman in Daleks In Manhattan, actually). The trick is that they think absolutely nothing of betraying their partners when they decide that they are no longer useful.

The thing that really bothered me in The Pandorica Opens was the sheer number of species who probably hadn't met the Doctor yet and couldn't travel through time. It's like we were meant to think that the Daleks bothered to bring back species like the Weevils, Judoon, Sontarans, &c. who were vastly inferior on a technological level and could serve no purpose but to stand there and look threatening.

If it were up to me, the Daleks would have captured the Doctor themselves. Use an electrical holding field or something. Allow the Daleks to actually win something for once, since it ultimately wouldn't matter. It'd help their image out.

You finally got what you wanted... Sad

You are certainly far more knowledgeable than I am about the show's history. I mostly agree with you, though I admit I didn't feel the Daleks' villain decay as you did due to not watching the old series. But I still love Daleks in Manhattan and find it unfair that it's gone before New Earth, Boom Town, The End of the World or The Unicorn and the Wasp... As the number of quotes and images I've posted might tell you. Wink

I admit it would be fun to see a full fledged Dalek win for once. "Victory of the Daleks" was one, but one of limited consequences. I think a nice idea could be to handle it as the Master was in its return. The Sound of Drums was a continuous streak of failures and humiliations for the doctor, and he only gets better at the very end of Last of Time Lords. This clearly established the Master as a formidable genius.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »

Protect 42

You are certainly far more knowledgeable than I am about the show's history. I mostly agree with you, though I admit I didn't feel the Daleks' villain decay as you did due to not watching the old series. But I still love Daleks in Manhattan and find it unfair that it's gone before New Earth, Boom Town, The End of the World or The Unicorn and the Wasp... As the number of quotes and images I've posted might tell you. Wink

I admit it would be fun to see a full fledged Dalek win for once. "Victory of the Daleks" was one, but one of limited consequences. I think a nice idea could be to handle it as the Master was in its return. The Sound of Drums was a continuous streak of failures and humiliations for the doctor, and he only gets better at the very end of Last of Time Lords. This clearly established the Master as a formidable genius.

I've only seen one season of the old series, and one with no Dalek stories at that. Tongue I just noticed the big gap between their established threat level and their apparent threat level to the audience. Then I thought about why that was and realized that it had to do with how they were used. The Daleks just seemed more threatening in 2005 than in 2010.

As someone said above, Dalek was a pretty good example of how to make the Daleks a scary enemy. Parting of the Ways was the beginning of the Dalek misusage, but they still managed to cause massive damage before being wiped out and come across as a grave existential threat. Doomsday was problematic, though. While the Cult of Skaro was badass, the help they got was pointless, and it established Dalek armies as being something completely disposable. Victory of the Daleks was the closest thing they've gotten to a real return to form since then.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 02:33:03 PM »

Protect 42

I've only seen one season of the old series, and one with no Dalek stories at that. Tongue I just noticed the big gap between their established threat level and their apparent threat level to the audience. Then I thought about why that was and realized that it had to do with how they were used. The Daleks just seemed more threatening in 2005 than in 2010.

As someone said above, Dalek was a pretty good example of how to make the Daleks a scary enemy. Parting of the Ways was the beginning of the Dalek misusage, but they still managed to cause massive damage before being wiped out and come across as a grave existential threat. Doomsday was problematic, though. While the Cult of Skaro was badass, the help they got was pointless, and it established Dalek armies as being something completely disposable. Victory of the Daleks was the closest thing they've gotten to a real return to form since then.

Even in Victory of the Daleks the supposed greatest threat to all reality were almost defeated by 40s era Earth technology with what could only be 5 or 10 minutes of enhancement.

Also, I wish I had protected Turn Left instead of Boom Town. Much better episode.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »

Yeah, the Genesis Ark in Doomsday was a big mistake. It literally had no point in the whole plot, and the only thing these Daleks had the occasion to do was to die. A shame, really (all the more because it was made evident that four Daleks could easily deal with all the cybermen). I see your issues with Dalek in Manhattan as well. The Daleks in Stolen Earth/Journey's end, however, were extremely powerful and threatening IMO. While Davros somewhat monopolized screen time at their expense, they were the real danger all along, and came insanely close at wiping out all of reality.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »

Protect 42

Even in Victory of the Daleks the supposed greatest threat to all reality were almost defeated by 40s era Earth technology with what could only be 5 or 10 minutes of enhancement.

Also, I wish I had protected Turn Left instead of Boom Town. Much better episode.

Yeah, the implausibly short timeframe was troubling. I suppose you could rationalize it by saying that Dalek technology was such a big step up that just 5 to 10 minutes of alterations was able to make the difference, though.

Yeah, the Genesis Ark in Doomsday was a big mistake. It literally had no point in the whole plot, and the only thing these Daleks had the occasion to do was to die. A shame, really (all the more because it was made evident that four Daleks could easily deal with all the cybermen). I see your issues with Dalek in Manhattan as well. The Daleks in Stolen Earth/Journey's end, however, were extremely powerful and threatening IMO. While Davros somewhat monopolized screen time at their expense, they were the real danger all along, and came insanely close at wiping out all of reality.

They also neglected a perfectly good opportunity to exterminate the Doctor when they brought him aboard, even though, as the Doctor later suggested, the Daleks didn't really take Davros that seriously. While the Daleks were definitely a substantial threat there, I thought it also cast them as something of a hidebound bureaucracy. Not the worst injury to their image, but still less than ideal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 08:28:16 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »

Turn Left : 3 (winner by coin toss)
42 : 3
Boom Town : 1

Immune :
Series 4 - Episode 11

Round 7 begins. Back to normal rules.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 09:13:56 AM »

Boom Town.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 12:26:16 PM by Dereich »

New Earth

I'm not sure if I can change my answer, but if I can I change to Tooth and Claw.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »

Tooth and Claw (Despite the setting)
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »

Boom Town
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9