Who will be the Keynote Speaker at the DNC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:09:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who will be the Keynote Speaker at the DNC?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who will be the Keynote Speaker at the DNC?  (Read 7399 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:12 AM »

Warren is in a tight race in MASSACHUSETTS... you think the DNC wants her to be their featured speaker to a nationwide audience when she isn't leading significantly in the nation's bluest state???

Good point.  Giving the floor to Warren not only might hurt Obama, but it may backfire on herself and may help to introduce Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in January.  If Obama picks her, IMO, he would risk giving complete the Republicans a monopoly in the White House, both houses of Congress, and the Supreme Court with the probable retirement of Justice Ginsburg which, IMO, is likely to occur before the 2016 election.

If she does speak, tuck her way into an early afternoon time slot when no one will be watching.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 02:43:50 AM »

New Mexico Congressman Martin Heinrich would be the perfect choice. He's in a tight race in New Mexico and he survived the 2010 Republican Wave without distancing himself from the President. And at only age 40, he has a future in our party. With the Keynote, he might be able to pull an Obama and snatch the nomination from Cuomo.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »

It will be Warren, Schultz, Heinrich, or Kaine. But here is a shot in the dark--Hillary Clinton?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 07:36:59 PM »

It will be Warren, Schultz, Heinrich, or Kaine. But here is a shot in the dark--Hillary Clinton?

The arrow missed the mark.  Hillary Clinton is a has-been and I seriously doubt she will try for another office after the SoS gig is up.  The lady is tired and worn out.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »

I don't even think Hillary is planning to show up at the convention.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »

Secretary's of  State hardly ever/never participate in partisan political campaigning. 
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 10:27:08 PM »

While I despise her and hope Obama tries to keep the party in a less populist line, Warren is the obvious choice.

1) Obama has been headed down the Elizabeth Warren path vs. Romney: witness "you didn't build that."  I expect him to continue to move on this point as it is an area where most of the country agrees with him- firing people and shutting down businesses is bad for the economy, making money off of doing that is evil, and paying a low tax rate is unfair.

2) Warren, being from Massachusetts, has credibility to bash Romney's record as governor.

3) Warren, being from Massachusetts, has credibility to lavish praise on universal health care and promise that Obama's health care plan will help people.

4) Warren is a woman.

5) Warren is the new darling of the student/nonprofit worker/Whole Foods cashier activist base that Obama needs to knock on doors.

6) If she wins (and my guess is she will), she becomes a serious candidate for President in 2016.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 10:27:08 PM »

FWIW I think Warren is the most likely pick. The Keynote address is about firing up the base and nobody does that like Warren.

My sleeper pick, Xavier Becerra.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »

Obama might not want to give a boost to any potential 2016-ers.

Also, Warren is technically from Oklahoma. She moved to Massachusetts to teach at Harvard.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »

Hopefully Schweitzer. He'd give a good speech.

A proven charismatic speaker with a unique style who's popular in a red state and has had a good record as governor. He's be great. If Heinrich is a good speaker, maybe he could get it too.

Absolutely not to Baldwin. She's way too liberal, plus her speaking style would not play well to a national audience. Kaine would be a Warner redux. A fairly dull and unmemorable speech. Debbie Wasserman Schultz is not particularly charismatic, plus she comes across as too liberal, overly partisan, and has a tendency to make gaffes.

I'd be okay with Warren. She's a pretty good speaker, but if we want to elevate someone for 2016, she's not an option, at least in my opinion.

What do people think of California AG Kamala Harris? She is very liberal, but if she's a good speaker, it could work out. She has a great life story to tell, plus she'd have appeal to women and minorities.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:38 AM »

It won't be Warren; the keynoter is always somebody already in office or somebody (Obama/Warner) totally guaranteed to be elected to office. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be for the party if Warren totally lost after keynoting?

The logical pick, in my head, is Brian Schweitzer. But I'm very confident it won't be Warren.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »

It looks like Obama might be having trouble in the Midwest, so maybe a fiery midwestern populist/liberal kind of guy. I'm not sure how great of a speaker Sherrod Brown is, but I think he has a lot of appeal up there and could do a good jos hammering Romney on the outsourcing thing.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »

It looks like Obama might be having trouble in the Midwest, so maybe a fiery midwestern populist/liberal kind of guy. I'm not sure how great of a speaker Sherrod Brown is, but I think he has a lot of appeal up there and could do a good jos hammering Romney on the outsourcing thing.
I'm not sure if Senator Sherrod Brown is going to the DNC this year. He's up for re-election in a swing state this year. And I'm not sure partying it up with the party in Charlotte would help his chances. As preciously stated, Democrats should seal their dominance in the Pacific West and support someone from there, Congressman Martin Heinrich of New Mexico is all but guaranteed that senate seat because of Obama's coattails.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »

Elizabeth Warren will not be the Keynote. She is slated to speak before Presidemt Bill Clinton on the 2nd night of the Convention.
http://bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2012/07/30/elizabeth-warren-speak-before-bill-clinton-democratic-convention-but-will-not-deliver-keynote/nPZ8ygeaGUVWQQ81YYhQYJ/story.html

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »

Mayor Julian Castro has been tapped to deliver the speech - http://pwire.at/OhUwM3
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »

Mayor Julian Castro has been tapped to deliver the speech - http://pwire.at/OhUwM3

AWESOME.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »

Interesting...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »

Never heard of him. Do they expect him to run for Governor or Senator of Texas or something...?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »

Interesting choice.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »

I'm guessing it's just doubling down on Romney's weakness with Hispanics.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:52 AM »

The arrow missed the mark.  Hillary Clinton is a has-been and I seriously doubt she will try for another office after the SoS gig is up.  The lady is tired and worn out.

That's absurd.  Her approvals are higher now than ever before; if anything, she's been reborn.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »

Julian Castro is a terrific choice.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »

Never heard of him. Do they expect him to run for Governor or Senator of Texas or something...?

Might be a Veep possibility in 2016.  (Mayor of San Antonio ain't a big enough base to to launch a successful Presidential bid from.)
retromike22
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

I think Castro will run for governor in 2014 or challenge Cornyn for Senate in 2014. Remember Castro is only 37, he's got time.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »

I think if he wanted a Hispanic to give it, he should have picked Arizona Senate Candidate Richard Carmona.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies