Will the dems ever have a ticket with two white guys again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:56:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the dems ever have a ticket with two white guys again?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the dems ever have a ticket with two white guys again?  (Read 790 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:42:43 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2012, 05:28:02 PM by Shirtless Voter »

In 2008 it was soon clear that regardless of who won, the Democratic nominee was not going to be a white guy, but they picked one for VP. With women and non-whites becoming more important moving forward for the party, can the Dems go back to a two white guy ticket in 2016 or beyond? Especially two straight protestant white guys?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:16:53 PM »

Probably, though probably never two white Protestants.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »

Probably not for a long time.  Perhaps not until no one cares about identity politics with respect to either race or sex anymore, just like virtually no one cares about the fact that Biden and Ryan are Catholic.  I see the vice presidential nomination as being a strong outlet for identity politics going forward, so just about any time you have a white male presidential nominee, you'll end up with diversity for the VP nomination.  This'll probably start happening on the GOP side too, but maybe not until about 2020 or so.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »

I don't see why not.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »

Obviously they will. Words like ever, never, always, etc make answering questions like these very easy.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:41:23 PM »

We will in 2016. Schweitzer is white, so is O'Malley. I don't know what Cuomo is.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »

We will in 2016. Schweitzer is white, so is O'Malley. I don't know what Cuomo is.

Italians are white.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »

I wouldn't be so quick to count Gillibrand out as a potential 2016 running mate. She'd be a solid choice for any nominee.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:59:48 PM »

I wouldn't be so quick to count Gillibrand out as a potential 2016 running mate. She'd be a solid choice for any nominee.

Gillibrand and Klobuchar will be the frontrunners for Dem. VP nominee in 2016, if the presidential nominee is a man.

I'd say there's a >90% chance that the 2016 Democratic ticket will have a woman on it.  If not as presidential nominee, then as vice presidential nominee.

Some of you youngins don't understand how quickly things have changed.  We've rapidly transitioned from the default assumption being that both parties will nominate white males for president and VP to this new assumption that white male = "boring", and presidential nominees should pick women or minorities in order to generate "excitement" for the ticket.

This is particularly true for the Dems.  I can't tell you how many Democrats I talked to in the 2008 cycle who explicitly cited Clinton's second X chromosome and Obama's skin color as reasons to support them over other Democrats.  There's a lingering feeling of unfinished business among many Dems for getting a woman on a winning national ticket, and that'll result in a woman on the ticket in '16.  (And will probably continue at least until we have a female president.)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »

If Hillary and Biden dont run, then it is very likely a white guy will be the presidential nominee, and in that case I agree that it is likely the dems will pick a woman as VP. I do think that for the Dem party having one white guy and one non white guy is the new normal.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »

Of course.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies