A year from now, who will already be tipping a 2016 run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:37:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  A year from now, who will already be tipping a 2016 run?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A year from now, who will already be tipping a 2016 run?  (Read 6684 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »

Christie, if he runs for re-election, will presumably be coy until that happens.

A huge part of the tea leaf reading will be about whether Christie does in fact run for reelection.  If he runs for reelection, does he have to try position himself more to the center in order to win,

He'd have to move to the right to get closer to the center.

People who call Christie a conservative sometimes remind me of this scene in The Sopranos.  There are four New York mobsters sitting around a table, talking about Tony Soprano.  When one of them disparages Tony, another defends him by say, "Hey, he's a boss!"  A third mobster, apparently the leader of the crew, sniffs, "A boss?  In Jersey he's a boss."

Christie's a conservative?  Yeah, in Jersey.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »

Right now, Sec. Clinton is getting tired and you can see it.  I think she'll retire from politics after her term as Sec of State is over whether that's January 2013 or January 2017.  I'm leaning more toward her being replaced in a potential Obama second term, not because she isn't a good SoS, but because she's incredibly tired and worn out.  30+ years in politics is a long time.  If she runs, she'll obviously be an instant favorite, but I put the chances of her running again at <20%.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

I think she'll retire from politics after her term as Sec of State is over whether that's January 2013 or January 2017.  I'm leaning more toward her being replaced in a potential Obama second term, not because she isn't a good SoS, but because she's incredibly tired and worn out.  30+ years in politics is a long time.

She's already announced her retirement as SoS at the end of Obama's first term.

Whether that means she's also not going to run for prez in 2016 is open to debate.  She says she's not going to run for prez, but others have said the same before and then changed their minds.  Her time in politics is nothing compared to some of the others who've run for president in the past.  Look at Bob Dole in 1996, for goodness sake.  He was older and in politics longer without the kind of break that HRC will have from 2013-2015.  People said he wouldn't run because he was too old.  Same for McCain.  Same for Reagan, for that matter.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2012, 03:56:54 PM by Nathan »

Christie, if he runs for re-election, will presumably be coy until that happens.

A huge part of the tea leaf reading will be about whether Christie does in fact run for reelection.  If he runs for reelection, does he have to try position himself more to the center in order to win,

I...I'm sorry, are you suggesting that you think that Chris Christie is by some standard a liberal? Is that actually what you're suggesting?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »

A huge part of the tea leaf reading will be about whether Christie does in fact run for reelection.  If he runs for reelection, does he have to try position himself more to the center in order to win,

I...I'm sorry, are you suggesting that you think that Chris Christie is by some standard a liberal? Is that actually what you're suggesting?

I've found a grand total of one (1) famous person who called Chris Christie a liberal. That person is a Mr. Herman Cain.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »

Mitt Romney.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 12:37:45 AM »

Fwiw, Rendell says he thinks HRC will run:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/ed-rendell-i-believe-hillary-will-run

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And on the same day, Pelosi encourages her as well:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/06/03/MNH01ORI6T.DTL&ao=all

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »

Speculation that Rand Paul might actually be more likely to run in 2016 if it's against incumbent President Romney than if Obama's reelected and there's an open contest on the GOP side:

http://www.nhpr.org/post/mitt-romney-vs-rand-paul-2016
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 12:17:04 AM »

that would be despicable.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 06:50:28 AM »

Rand providing a primary challenge to Obama would be despicable? If Romney's awful (which he will most likely be), then a primary challenger, especially a convincing one like Rand, would be a great thing for a 21st century Republican party.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »

Christie on 2016: "If there's an opportunity for me to serve in another capacity and I think I have something to add to the mix, I don't think I'd back away from it."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/christie-says-hes-open-2016-presidential-bid
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »

So...we're basically at square one.  With a bunch of no-names:  Kelly Ayotte, Mary Fallin and Paul Ryan trying to get some attention...

Mary Fallin? I hope not!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies