MA: Honouring Veterans of Foreign Conflict Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:29:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Honouring Veterans of Foreign Conflict Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Honouring Veterans of Foreign Conflict Act (Statute)  (Read 1075 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« on: July 30, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »
« edited: July 30, 2012, 06:19:57 AM by Mideast Governor ZuWo »

I support the main thrust of this piece of legislation. Veterans have done a lot for the country and deserve our respect and gratitude for their service. Indeed, the "Miscellaneous Statute" that I introduced, which is based on the "Mideast Soldier Memorial Act", expresses that very clearly.

As for the practical implications of this bill, I have some doubts about Section 5. In fact, I am not sure whether a government is entitled to oblige private enterprises such as restaurants and movie theaters to offer discounts to a certain group of people even if the intention behind the bill is very noble. This is too much of an infringement on private entrepreneurs in my opinion. Private businesses should decide on their own whether they want to offer discounts to veterans or not.
On the other hand, I would be open to ideas which would offer discounts for veterans at state-funded or state-controlled places or institutions, such as museums or means of public transport.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2012, 11:39:01 AM by Mideast Governor ZuWo »

I'm glad we see eye to eye on this matter!

Regarding the amendment you're preparing, you could also consider whether it is necessary that veterans appear in their military attire to the place where they can get a discount or whether it should suffice if they merely bring a document with themselves which proves that they are veterans (e.g. one of the veteran cards that Clarence mentions two posts below).
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »

I'm generally fine with this amendment. If anything, you could specify what you mean by "similar services" (in Section 1, Clause 5). It may be advisable to make a more detailed list of all specific state-controlled places/institutions/services where the discount is valid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies