Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 03:16:03 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: Impeachment Clarification Amendment (Sent to the Regions)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Impeachment Clarification Amendment (Sent to the Regions)  (Read 956 times)
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2012, 10:40:27 am »
Ignore

AN  AMENDMENT
To establish clearer proceedings for the Impeachment of Government Officials.

Be it enacted by 2/3 of the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled.

This Amendment shall be titled as the "Impeachment Clarification Amendment".

Section 2: Impeachment
1.In the same manner as the proposition of a Bill, Articles of Impeachment may be proposed  against any executive or judicial officer of the federal government.
2.The Senate will shall be impaneled as a grand jury to consider these Articles of Impeachment; In considering these Articles, the Chief Justice shall preside, unless it is his own impeachment, in which case the President of the Senate shall preside. A two-thirds majority vote of the Senate under quorum rules will be necessary to impeach the Officer.
3.The People shall have sole power to try such impeachments. The Chief Justice shall administer a public poll to try the impeachment, unless it is the Chief Justice who shall have been impeached, in which case the Senate President pro tempore shall administer the public poll. The public poll shall be held for one week and shall require the consent of a majority voting to convict. Citizens shall make their vote publicly known in the form of a post.
4.Upon conviction by the People, the officer shall be removed from office immediately. Any person convicted upon impeachment shall be disqualified from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia for a time period explicitly specified in the Articles of Impeachment.

Sponsor: NC Yankee
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:45:58 pm by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:42:46 am »
Ignore

It is a rather minimal change to be sure, but "shall" is much more powerfull word then "will" in legal terms.

Also, we can determine if we want to make any other changes or add requirements to prevent a future communications breakdown and to limit the need to proceed to trial like proceedings in the Senate, simply because a Senate introduces articles on a lone wolf like mission.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:36:58 pm »
Ignore

Amendment:
AN  AMENDMENT

1. In the same manner as the proposition of a Bill, Articles of Impeachment may be proposed  against any executive or judicial officer of the federal government.

2. All impeachment hearings will first take place in the Senate Committee on the Judiciary for a period of seven days.  During this time, members of the committee may ask questions to all people involved in impeachment cases and review the Articles of Impeachment.  All people in the deposition will provide their testimonies under oath.  If a witness is found to have lied whilst bound by the oath, perjury may be charged against them.

3. Upon completion of the Committee hearing,
the Senate will shall be impaneled as a grand jury to consider these Articles of Impeachment; In considering these Articles, the Chief Justice shall preside, unless it is his own impeachment, in which case the President of the Senate shall preside. A two-thirds majority vote of the Senate under quorum rules will be necessary to impeach the Officer.

4. The People shall have sole power to try such impeachments. The Chief Justice shall administer a public poll to try the impeachment, unless it is the Chief Justice who shall have been impeached, in which case the Senate President pro tempore shall administer the public poll. The public poll shall be held for one week and shall require the consent of a majority voting to convict. Citizens shall make their vote publicly known in the form of a post.

5. Upon conviction by the People, the officer shall be removed from office immediately. Any person convicted upon impeachment shall be disqualified from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia for a time period explicitly specified in the Articles of Impeachment.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:55:58 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 50:20 by Scott
AN  AMENDMENT

1. In the same manner as the proposition of a Bill, Articles of Impeachment may be proposed  against any executive or judicial officer of the federal government.

2. All impeachment hearings will first take place in the Senate Committee on the Judiciary for a period of seven days.  During this time, members of the committee may ask questions to all people involved in impeachment cases and review the Articles of Impeachment.  All people in the deposition will provide their testimonies under oath.  If a witness is found to have lied whilst bound by the oath, perjury may be charged against them.

the Senate will shall be impaneled as a grand jury to consider these Articles of Impeachment; In considering these Articles, the Chief Justice shall preside, unless it is his own impeachment, in which case the President of the Senate shall preside. A two-thirds majority vote of the Senate under quorum rules will be necessary to impeach the Officer.

4. The People shall have sole power to try such impeachments. The Chief Justice shall administer a public poll to try the impeachment, unless it is the Chief Justice who shall have been impeached, in which case the Senate President pro tempore shall administer the public poll. The public poll shall be held for one week and shall require the consent of a majority voting to convict. Citizens shall make their vote publicly known in the form of a post.

5. Upon conviction by the People, the officer shall be removed from office immediately. Any person convicted upon impeachment shall be disqualified from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia for a time period explicitly specified in the Articles of Impeachment.

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:34:25 pm »
Ignore

I actually think its a great idea to enshrine these Committees.  There's no good argument for them not to become a permanent part of our culture.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:43:02 pm »
Ignore

I honestly don't see what difference it would make...
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 12:27:57 pm »
Ignore

I don't really see a difference either..

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:55:06 am »
Ignore

It concerns me because the committees are a creation of a Senate Resolution and that gives the Senate a lot of flexibility to alter or change it as necessary, something which is especially important in period when we are just starting with these. Putting in the Constitution would remove that flexibility.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:58:59 pm »
Ignore

Does the amendment sponsor disagree with my reasoning on this?

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 01:01:16 pm »
Ignore

The Judiciary Committee already has the task of conducting impeachment proceedings.  Enshrining this in the Constitution only underlines its authority to do that.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:24:30 pm »
Ignore

Well it doesn't matter if we were to come to an agreement because I am not the one who entered objection. Tongue

Quote from: Amendment 50:20 by Scott
AN  AMENDMENT

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Status: Objection entered by Diet of Worms. Senators this amendment is now at vote, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.  

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 01:27:42 pm »
Ignore

Aye.
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »
Ignore

Aye

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 01:54:09 pm »
Ignore

Nay

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 05:39:52 pm »
Ignore

Bumping for votes.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »
Ignore

Nay
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 11:49:20 pm »
Ignore

I fear that the defeat of this amendment will possibly jeopardize possible impeachment procedures.

I repeat: the Judiciary Committee is already designated the task of hearing impeachment proceedings.  My amendment simply outlines the procedure of how they will be conducted.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 09:56:23 am »
Ignore

Aye

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 03:21:46 pm »
Ignore

WTF Senators?!!! Angry

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 04:49:07 pm »
Ignore

Aye
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 09:53:30 pm »
Ignore

Aye

"I have seen three ages in the West of the world, and many defeats, and many fruitless victories."

-Elrond in J.R. Tolkien's LOTR
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 09:31:30 am »
Ignore

Aye

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 03:53:52 pm »
Ignore

Vote on passage of Amendment 50:20 by Scott:

Aye (6): AndrewPA, Ben, NC Yankee, sbane, Scott and TJ in Cleve
Nay (2): Redalgo and Seatown
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (2): Clarence and Worms - Sounds like a 60's band. Tongue

The amendment has passed.

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:13 pm »
Ignore

Didn't Vote (2): Clarence and Worms - Sounds like a 60's band. Tongue

Clarence probably saw them live Tongue

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 06:54:19 pm »
Ignore

Shall we move to a final vote?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout