Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:35:01 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  DNC platform drafting committee unanimously approves marriage equality plank
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DNC platform drafting committee unanimously approves marriage equality plank  (Read 1519 times)
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 07:39:53 pm »
Ignore

Because I believe "marriage" should be between a man and a woman; a considerable portion of our party agrees with me on that and they are being alienated with this choice.

I got that.  I'm asking you why you hold that belief when it comes to civil marriage law.

n/c
Clinton1996
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 07:46:18 pm »
Ignore

Because I believe "marriage" should be between a man and a woman; a considerable portion of our party agrees with me on that and they are being alienated with this choice.

I understand your religious argument, but does that mean that atheists can't get married because they don't believe in the bible, that's a sin. Or liars can't get married because lieing is also a sin. Maybe Jews shouldn't be able to get married because they don't think Vhrist was the son of God.

hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 07:53:37 pm »
Ignore

It's a sad day for this once noble party. This wouldn't fly in the Democrat party of my grandma and other New Dealers. It wouldnt fly in the vein of my idealogical ancestry of the Bourben wing of the party led by Grover Cleveland. I'm also sure Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and Andrew Jackson would flip out on the Democrats of today(they'd flip out of a few Republicans too but not on the Paul wing).

GOP: stand your ground regarding traditional marriage. You are on the right side of history and eternity.
Oh, and Jefferson, Jackson, and Cleveland were bastions of moral values
Jefferson: owned slaves
Jackson: started the trail of tears
Cleveland: had an affair which produced a child.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
Senator JCL and the geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
Ignore

And Jefferson regretted owning slaves. Do I recgonize that Jackson blew a golden opprotunity regarding the First Nations? He blew a huge chance on bringing the Indians into a proper alliance. Now I recgonize Cleveland did have the affair but he did right by the child.

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
David Brat (R/VA-7)
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »
Ignore

And Jefferson regretted owning slaves. Do I recgonize that Jackson blew a golden opprotunity regarding the First Nations? He blew a huge chance on bringing the Indians into a proper alliance. Now I recgonize Cleveland did have the affair but he did right by the child.

You're entirely right about Cleveland, who owned up to it and by all accounts was otherwise upstanding, but Jefferson was a disgusting hypocrite and Jackson...uh, 'blew a golden opportunity' is far from the worst you can say about his interior policies.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:18 pm »
Ignore

Not quite.  Cleveland was unmarried and Maria Crofts Halpin was a widow who was involved with several men, of whom Cleveland was the only bachelor and thus the only one in a position to admit anything.

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »
Ignore

Human society has been moving away and dropping the false and disgusting Bronze age morals and beliefs for the past few centuries.

Considering how the twentieth century turned out, don't you think it might be better to find a better argument than that?

The way Positivism and Whiggery rear their heads over and over again is the best refutation of their own idea that humanity inevitably discards old bad ideas and embraces glorious new ones.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »
Ignore

If anyone was planning on voting for Obama and now isn't because of this, then I'm glad we weeded them out.  We can win without relying on bigots.
fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »
Ignore

How bold...
old timey villain
cope1989
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:54 am »
Ignore

This is great, although they're several years late on this, but better late than never I suppose.

It'll be interesting to see if the Democrats deliver on this new platform. Is this an election year gimmick or will the party wholeheartedly embrace the issue and fight for it?

And for all the Democrats out there who are still uncomfortable. I understand how you feel, it's a tough issue. But if we're going to be the party fighting for equal rights and opportunities, it has to be for all people. It's a matter of principle.

Can't we all just get along?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -4.35

P P

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 01:50:23 am »
Ignore

I am very glad to see this and not just because I count myself as LGBT.  Honestly, from the 1960s on almost any major advance in civil rights has had to come through the Democratic Party (outside of the Courts).  It is one of the reason why I remain in the party.
IDS Emperor Maxwell
mah519
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -6.98

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 01:52:49 am »
Ignore

Oh, you, Democratic Party... switching positions when its popular, not on principle.

Now, don't get me wrong, its the right way to go, absolutely. It's just that the party didn't have the balls to stand up for it years ago in order, when it was the right thing to do.

Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 04:58:07 am »
Ignore

Oh, you, Democratic Party... switching positions when its popular, not on principle.

Now, don't get me wrong, its the right way to go, absolutely. It's just that the party didn't have the balls to stand up for it years ago in order, when it was the right thing to do.

Not that I would ever defend the lack of such language in the 2008 DNC platform, but for a national party to embrace something that was illegal throughout the entire country less than ten years ago suggests real progress from a long-term perspective.

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 06:49:54 am »
Ignore

We could only switch once enough of our members came around.  The platform could be voted down if it's too far ahead of the people.
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 08:31:22 am »
Ignore

Not quite.  Cleveland was unmarried and Maria Crofts Halpin was a widow who was involved with several men, of whom Cleveland was the only bachelor and thus the only one in a position to admit anything.
Forgot about that. Never mind. That was okay, but the other two still stand.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 08:38:30 am »
Ignore

June 2012

Do you think marriages between gay and lesbian couples should or should not be recognized by the
law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages? (Democrats only)

Should 70%
Should not 28%

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/06/06/rel5e.pdf

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:32 am »
Ignore

The way Positivism and Whiggery rear their heads over and over again is the best refutation of their own idea that humanity inevitably discards old bad ideas and embraces glorious new ones.

Post of the week.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »
Ignore

Human society has been moving away and dropping the false and disgusting Bronze age morals and beliefs for the past few centuries.

Considering how the twentieth century turned out, don't you think it might be better to find a better argument than that?

Well, that's a clever retort and all, but don't you think it is a bit of a leap to blame the undesirable events of the twentieth century on some ostensible change in morality?

Seems to me it was almost entirely a matter of better killing technology.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 05:16:25 pm »
Ignore

If anyone was planning on voting for Obama and now isn't because of this, then I'm glad we weeded them out.  We can win without relying on bigots.

Yet a sizable portion of the American public is more outraged by boys kissing than it is by insurance companies having the right to refuse coverage for preexisting conditions.

Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 05:26:58 pm »
Ignore

They've already left. The actual platform doesn't matter and hasn't mattered since 1948.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 06:06:57 pm »
Ignore

Well, that's a clever retort and all, but don't you think it is a bit of a leap to blame the undesirable events of the twentieth century on some ostensible change in morality?

It would be, but I'm not doing that.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout