DNC platform drafting committee unanimously approves marriage equality plank
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:46:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  DNC platform drafting committee unanimously approves marriage equality plank
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DNC platform drafting committee unanimously approves marriage equality plank  (Read 2950 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2012/07/30/democratic-platform-draft-includes-marriage-equality-plank-sources/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Smiley
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »

Yay!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »

If only the GOP would do it now...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »

Will the connection support it?
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »

Good on them.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »

Cheesy
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »

Another nudge at the conservative wing of the party...I'll just say I respectfully disagree with this.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »

It is days like these when i am proud to be a Democrat. Smiley
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

Considering many polls are now showing a majority of Americans are supporting marriage equality, it's about time. 
MD
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »

That is interesting.  Polls always show that but when voted on they usually lose.   It will be interesting to see how this plays to middle America.  I am not taking a side.  Just interested to see what happens.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »

That is interesting.  Polls always show that but when voted on they usually lose.   It will be interesting to see how this plays to middle America.  I am not taking a side.  Just interested to see what happens.

I think this is the year that changes. Polling shows the marriage equality winning by decent points in both Maine and Washington. I haven't seen recent polling on Maryland or Minnesota though.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »

I neither disagree, nor agree with this. I dont really care. And I guearantee a large majority of Americans agree with me when I say marriage equality ranks way below the economy in their worries about party platforms.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:53:46 PM »

If only the GOP would do it now...

Not gonna happen any time soon Sad
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »

Another nudge at the conservative wing of the party...I'll just say I respectfully disagree with this.

Why is that?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 05:20:48 PM »

It's a sad day for this once noble party. This wouldn't fly in the Democrat party of my grandma and other New Dealers. It wouldnt fly in the vein of my idealogical ancestry of the Bourben wing of the party led by Grover Cleveland. I'm also sure Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and Andrew Jackson would flip out on the Democrats of today(they'd flip out of a few Republicans too but not on the Paul wing).

GOP: stand your ground regarding traditional marriage. You are on the right side of history and eternity.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »

It's a sad day for this once noble party. This wouldn't fly in the Democrat party of my grandma and other New Dealers. It wouldnt fly in the vein of my idealogical ancestry of the Bourben wing of the party led by Grover Cleveland. I'm also sure Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and Andrew Jackson would flip out on the Democrats of today(they'd flip out of a few Republicans too but not on the Paul wing).

GOP: stand your ground regarding traditional marriage. You are on the right side of history and eternity.

Was George Wallace on the right side of history and eternity? Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, and Jackson would flip out on MLK.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »

Quite the opposite. Human society has been moving away and dropping the false and disgusting Bronze age morals and beliefs for the past few centuries. Ending the notion that the Earth was the center of the universe? Check. Ending the myth that humanity is only 6,000 years old and created in their current form? Check. Ending slavery? Check. Ending the oppression of women? Check.

This is merely history marching. In fifty years the advocates of "traditional marriage" will be looked at with the same scorn as people look at George Wallace today.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »

^^

LOL
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »

oh my god shut up shut up shut up shut up about how people who were alive 100+ years ago would react to modern day issues and how they would be so "conservative" on them.

You should be aware that this post is pretty disrespectful to actual LGBT members of the Democratic party and citizens of the US, how you care more about saving like two or so congressmen from North Carolina than equality for a chunk of citizens of the country, but whatevski.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2012, 06:38:33 PM by Senator Scott »

Truth be told, there were many Democrats of those days that have been attributed to the darker history of the party.  I'm sure you weren't considering the Klan enablers when you wrote that message, but there are many Democrats that today's party wouldn't affiliate itself with unless they were to renounce their past actions.  Besides, gay marriage wasn't an issue back when any of those guys you mentioned were around, and Ron Paul wasn't even alive at the time.  Way to namedrop.

The truth is, the country you are living in is going to be very different thirty or forty years from now, especially on this particular issue.  The voices of certain naysayers will persist, but as nothing more than imperceptible white noise.

It's time to evolve.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »

Why is that?

Because I believe "marriage" should be between a man and a woman; a considerable portion of our party agrees with me on that and they are being alienated with this choice.

Speaking of which...

oh my god shut up shut up shut up shut up about how people who were alive 100+ years ago would react to modern day issues and how they would be so "conservative" on them.

You should be aware that this post is pretty disrespectful to actual LGBT members of the Democratic party and citizens of the US, how you care more about saving like two or so congressmen from North Carolina than equality for a chunk of citizens of the country, but whatevski.

I'm trying to be respectful. I simply stated my opinion in response to Alcon's post. I'm against gay marriage but I support other forms of recognition for homosexual couples; that's why I voted against NC Amendment 1.

Yes, it would be nice to see a few of the conservative Democrats, who share my views on this, win.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »

Human society has been moving away and dropping the false and disgusting Bronze age morals and beliefs for the past few centuries.

Considering how the twentieth century turned out, don't you think it might be better to find a better argument than that?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »

Human society has been moving away and dropping the false and disgusting Bronze age morals and beliefs for the past few centuries.

Considering how the twentieth century turned out, don't you think it might be better to find a better argument than that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're referring to the carnage of war, correct? Unfortunately, progress has been slow in some areas and better in others. :/

My point is that the Church or deeply religious types have been stalwart defenders of anachronistic beliefs, in the realms of both science and morality.  Religion has been giving up ground more or less for awhile now and the trend is not stopping. Gay rights and gay marriage is simply the next step in the evolution of our civilization's morality.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24:58 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're referring to the carnage of war, correct? Unfortunately, progress has been slow in some areas and better in others. :/

My point is that the Church or deeply religious types have been stalwart defenders of anachronistic beliefs, in the realms of both science and morality.  Religion has been giving up ground more or less for awhile now and the trend is not stopping. Gay rights and gay marriage is simply the next step in the evolution of our civilization's morality.

I'm not sure the history of ideas actually works that way. I think it works kind of differently.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »

This will likely mean Obama loses the Gilded Age peasant demographic.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies